+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Scared.....

My doc says my little girl will be born anywhere from 32-35 weeks because of my high blood pressure. I'm really worried about this and was wanting to hear from other parents of prem babies.... Thanks in advance.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hi Kelly
    Hope you are doing well at the moment. Thought I would pop in and offer you some hugs and reassurance that all can go well with having a premmie baby after high blood pressure. I had borderline high blood pressure (unmedicated) for pretty much my whole pregnancy, it started increasing at the 20 week mark which is when I went on blood pressure tablets to try and control it. Unfortunately for me at 30 weeks it started getting even higher and I ended up in hospital at 33+3 weeks with Pre-eclampsia.

I spent 2 days on pretty much complete bed rest but when that didnt help my BP I ended up being induced at 33+5 and gave birth to my little girl right on 34 weeks. You will probably find that giving birth so early may mean you will be induced but they will likely give you steroids to help boost baby's lungs - I had 2 shots pretty much as soon as I was admitted to hospital. Although I eventually ended up with a c-section my little girl was born perfectly fine. She didnt need any oxygen or the likes (I'm guessing because the steroids helped her lungs develop) and her apgar scores were 9. She was quite little born 1.6kgs ( but I think that was smaller than normal for that gestation as she had growth issues) and she was taken with my husband to the special care nursery to get checked up and looked after. She did spend 2.5 weeks in the SCN while she gained some weight but health wise for us apart from jaundice (really common in a lot of babies) and some breastfeeding issues she was perfectly fine and healthy. At 34 weeks their sucking reflex isnt fully developed so she was tube fed for the first week or so before we switched to combined bottle/breastfeeds. She is now 6 weeks away from turning 2 and you truly wouldnt know she was born premature unless it was pointed out to you. She has caught up to all her peers in height and weight, and reached all her milestones with no problems at all. She is now running/walking, talking and just your average happy go lucky child.

Also ask (if they havent already) to have a chat to the paeds or the people in the SCN before having your bub. We were told they would send someone to chat to us to explain everything and answer any questions we may have in regards to having a premature bub.
    Last edited by erinn; 29-04-2012 at 11:45.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to erinn For This Useful Post:

LoveHeart  (12-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I'm not a parent of a premmie baby but I was born at around 33 weeks and was one of twins, this was nearly 29 years ago and both myself and my sister are fine and both have kids of our own now and are both ttc again, I'm sure your little one will be just fine. Sending you hugs

Sent from my GT-S5660 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    My SIL had an emergency caesar at 34 weeks because of pre eclampsia , beautiful healthy baby girl, 2.6kg, no problems but did spend a week in special care because her sucking reflex was not good so she was tube fed for that week, now a chubby 9kg , 6 month old!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for your replies. Only time will tell I guess. I've been ordered to stop work already (22w) by the doc so hopefully that helps bub cook a bit longer.
    Last edited by KellyMac; 11-05-2012 at 23:43.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My beautiful daughter was born at 30 weeks.
    She is now almost 12 yrs old. She was 1.170g, she was in the neonatal intensive care for 8 days and in special care for a further 7 weeks. I looked at all the positive steps she made. Yes it is hard work to be a mum of a premmie and hard to go home from hospital with out your baby. The positive however was that she got all the attention she needed.
    I can look back now and say all my hard work really paid off as she is a healthy, happy young lady. She is age stage appropriate and her education goes from strenght to strenght.
    BUT my best advice is one day at a time. good luck
    Ann

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My son was born at 35+3. I was admitted at 33 weeks with a rare pregnancy illness and they too gave me 2 steroid injections on the day they admitted me. The risk of stillbirth was 75% at the time so they kept checking on him twice a day. Yet I refused to have him at 33 weeks and with the help of great midwives, OB's and a fantastic pead, I managed to push beyond the 35 week mark.
    The good thing in your case, is that they can see it coming, so they are fully prepared to do whatever it takes to give your bub a good start.
    When DS was born, he didn't need oxygen either and had an apgar of 9 and 9. I believe the steroids have helped with that as well.
    So if you do go in that early, make sure they don't forget the steroids, but I'm sure they wont.
    Does the hospital you want to give birth in, have a neonatal clinic? If so, you might want to ask to have a little tour before bubs is born. Just to familiarize yourself with their routines, protocols, etc.

Goodluck hun. Sending you lots of "calming vibes" to keep that BP low enough for you to make it to 35

Thanks
    Reviews
    My twins were born at 34 wks. Ds was 1090gm and dd was 1040gm. Both were in isolets for a week or so and in hospital for about 3 weeks. Don't worry my dear they are so strong and such fighters. Our hospitals are wonderful in dealing with little premmies. The hard thing is leaving them behind while you can go home your precious little ones have to stay. Fingers crossed. You will be fine.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks again ladies. The bit I'm worried about is bubs having to stay in while I go home because I live on nsw central coast but am having the baby in Sydney. Ill be staying at mums but am keen to get home asap obviously! The hospital I'm booked into doesn't have a NICU so the baby would be transferred about 20 mins away.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    If you're breastfeeding you should be allowed to stay. My DD's were born in a hospital 4 hours from home and I BF so was allowed to stay, we were then transferred to one an hour from home and I was still allowed to stay with them.
    I was also a public patient.
    Best of luck, I'm sure everything will be fine. I do know just how stressful it can be though, think positive