+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Measuring big, inducement or csection?

So I had my risk assessment today with an ob, and I'm 29 weeks measuring 33 weeks, the ob hassaid that because of my weight, the baby's size and the fact that I have had shoulder dystocia with my last baby that I have to have a growth scan next week to check its not fluid and if its not then I'm looking at a possible csection or early inducement, now I'm freaking out!!
    Sent from my Racer using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Try and relax, at 28 weeks I was measuring 42 weeks and my pair were only 7lbs put together so very tiny!
    Just remember that even when you do have a scan that the measurements are just an estimate. Mine were off with my girls by almost 500gms.
    Good luck

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've heard growth scans aren't very accurate, that makes me worried, what if the growth scan says bub is big so they either induce me or give me a csection and bub turns out to be little, then ill feel ripped off!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had a severe shoulder dystocia with my first birth and had growth scans with my next two pregnancies. Both times I was induced early.
    Because of my first birth, they were particularly checking that the abdominal measurement was no bigger than the head measurement with my next two. If they were I would have had a c-section.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My growth scans with DS were spot on. I was induced at 39w2d and he was born by c-section weighing 9lbs - exactly what they said he'd be.

I suppose you need to way up the risks for you and baby. Induction could mean a c-section anyway, and leaving baby to come naturally could mean shoulder dystocia... It's a catch 22 really!

Good luck - I hope it all works out for the best!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by spitthedummy View Post
    I've heard growth scans aren't very accurate, that makes me worried, what if the growth scan says bub is big so they either induce me or give me a csection and bub turns out to be little, then ill feel ripped off!

You are right. Growth scans are not accurate. Could u not try for VB and see what happens? I know your OB probably has u and bub as his main priority but u have every right to tell him what u want also. I was told at about 28 weeks my last bub would be 10+ pounds and had a VB at 38+2 with bub weighing 7 pound 11ounces.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Growth scans are off more times than on. Can't you go for a vb and if during labour it looks shonky go for a cs?

Thanks
    Reviews
    It is a catch 22 for you isn't it! Growth scans are an inaccurate way of predicting bubs size. They have a 700g each way leeway which is a big difference. In saying that though, my growth scans were pretty accurate (monitoring for IUGR).

Maybe you could try for a VB if that's what you want, with close monitoring?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub

futureherder is offline Child led parent here...save me :)
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Thats a tough one, I wouldn't be in a rush to get bubs out too early even if bubs was measuring big. Fluid though is important so obviously if the internal environment isn't as good as the external eventhough it is early it still makes sense to get bubs out.

I would try for induction first but this is only based on my previous experience of having to have a c-sec for medical purposes, wishing I would have had an induction now so I wouldn't have to worry about a VBAC for future births.

I am sure you OB will make the decision he/she thinks is best but it doesn't hurt you getting a second opinion and if you dont agree say so and get some feedback.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for the replies ladies, the thought of a csection scares the hell out of me!