+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Tizzie Hall Routine Help

Note: please only comment if you have constructive advice or experience. Thank you.

I have a 8 week old DS. Due to health issues I have been told to BF every 3 hours instead of every second hour that he usually does. I have a few issues and was wanting to ask for some help. SOS have a routine for 4-6 week olds that would work perfectly for what the health professionals are wanting me to do so I have started this. My issues are this: I refuse to let him cry to sleep, so what other settling techniques have you used to get a bub to sleep at this age? He only sleeps 5-10 minutes at a time during the day, will not take a dummy or tolerate a baby carrier/sling. I have a 22 month very active DD so can't hold him for sleeps. Also after his 5-10 minute naps how many of these do I try and resettle him for? I have been putting hand on chest and rocking his bassinet to get him to resettle twice then usually that is it. I was told I need to try and get him to have 15-17 hours sleep in 24 hours and right now we are only achieving 9-10
    Also how do I stretch him longer between feeds without screaming and no dummy? Or is this impossible?
    Thank you

2. The Following User Says Thank You to mezzee For This Useful Post:

SugarSkull  (27-04-2012)

OffwiththePixies is offline I'm Jaz, and I'm off with the pixies all the time!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Hey hun, not sure... Not sure what the health issues but it seems strange that they would have said to let him be hungry for an hour? (but thats just to me)

For ideas on gentle solutions you could look up Pinky McKay, you might find some help there (she is anti - controlled crying and takes a gentler approach) While I don't personally like 'routines' for such small babies, if it works for you thats great, and you might be able to mash some of the ideas together (from pinky and Tizzie.)
    Good Luck!

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OffwiththePixies For This Useful Post:

Bluest Blue Box  (27-04-2012),Bubbles10  (27-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I don't use SOS but one thing that worked to calm my baby for sleep at that age is white noise. You can get a white noise app or download a recording of white noise. I have heard that perhaps it reminds them of noise in the womb (don't know if this is true) it used to really work for my DD which was good because like yourself I couldn't handle leaving her to cry.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I would maybe try to resettle for 1 morning seep and 1 afternoon sleep. Mine only ever did the 10 minute naps and refused any slings or wraps too. Have you heard the term 'touch baby' before? Is it possible your baby could fit that? My little brother and my nephew both fit the category.

somewhere between a rock and a hard place
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    We used SOS from about 10 weeks, for the feed, sleep routine, but like you didnt want to use CC at such a young age. I did lots of driving and walking with the pram, that ended up with me exhausted and scared i would have or cause an accident in the end the only think that helped was we had his reflux medicated, raised his cot (not useful for you tho) I changed his curtains to 100% blackout and started keeping the house quieter, I wrapped him quite snug, and placed an extra blanket on him if the room was cold! Not ideal, but it worked! He was and still is a VERY light sleeper! More often than not, he would be almost asleep, but not quite when I put him down. If I had to put him down wide awake, I sat beside his cot, with a hand on his little chest and I sang to him, getting quieter as he drifted off, then slowly and very quietly left his room. It was painstaking! But I now have a self settler, who still likes very little stimulation to sleep! Some babies don't like to be rocked, or like mobiles, or lights, you just have to find what works for YOUR baby. Goodluck

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Try using a pram to put your bub to sleep. It's easier to resettle them if they stir.

I too am skeptical about keeping babies that small hungry for an hour. I knowy boobs would explode if I knew DD was hungry and I was not feeding her.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Have you thought about a swing? Like the Fisher Price My Little Lamb Cradle Swing? About $200, but a godsend for some of my foster kids. You can set it at different seat reclines (great for reflux or those babes who hate lying down flat), plus it swings itself, so you're not tied to it. It also plays music, mobile, etc. One of my babies slept in this for the first three months - and we were getting about 10 to 15 hours sleep a day, up from 7-9. Expensive I know, but worth it if it works!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Wickedly Happy For This Useful Post:

duckduckgoose  (27-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi,

Has your LO always only slept for 5-10 minutes or has this started since the 3 hour feeding was implemented? Maybe you could ease bubs into the routine by starting with 2 hours 15 mins for a few days and then 2 and 1/2 hours for the next few days rather than going from 2 to 3 hours. An hour must seem like a long time when you have only been alive for 8 weeks. 15 minutes may be easier?

How does he sleep at night? Maybe try and recreate the same environment. Like a PP my DS sleeps best in a darkened room. We also play a relaxation cd to signal it's sleep time. Are you swaddling?

From what I can remember of the SOS routines the awake times are very long. (too long for my DS anyway). Maybe use them as a basis but if your DS is tired/hungry 10/15 minutes earlier or later then follow his cues and just adjust the rest of the day to compensate.

Good Luck.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you all very much for your responses lots of great advice. I am yet to actually start the 3 hour gaps between feeds as the first time I tried we got to about 2 hours from the start of the last feed and he got too upset so I fed him. I went back to the doctor today and he said if the 3 hour stretches are to much for him then try and shorten the feeding time, he takes around an hour to feed so I think cutting it shorter by around 10 minutes to start will be a lot kinder for the both of us.
    The catnapping started at around 2 weeks. I have his room open with the sun coming in during the day so I might try and darken it, I also swaddle for all sleeps as he loves this and it's a bit of a sign to sleep for him. will also look up some suggestions I have not heard of

13. The Following User Says Thank You to mezzee For This Useful Post:

share a book  (27-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mezzee View Post
    Note: please only comment if you have constructive advice or experience. Thank you.

I have a 8 week old DS. Due to health issues I have been told to BF every 3 hours instead of every second hour that he usually does. I have a few issues and was wanting to ask for some help. SOS have a routine for 4-6 week olds that would work perfectly for what the health professionals are wanting me to do so I have started this. My issues are this: I refuse to let him cry to sleep, so what other settling techniques have you used to get a bub to sleep at this age? He only sleeps 5-10 minutes at a time during the day, will not take a dummy or tolerate a baby carrier/sling. I have a 22 month very active DD so can't hold him for sleeps. Also after his 5-10 minute naps how many of these do I try and resettle him for? I have been putting hand on chest and rocking his bassinet to get him to resettle twice then usually that is it. I was told I need to try and get him to have 15-17 hours sleep in 24 hours and right now we are only achieving 9-10
    Also how do I stretch him longer between feeds without screaming and no dummy? Or is this impossible?
    Thank you
    I agree with PP about white noise or very very soft non-verbal lullabies in the background. Something else I did was get a soft blankie (with the teddy's head in the middle) and shove it down my bra for a few days while I was sleeping. It ended up smelling of mummies chest and this would help him settle a bit better.
    Can you try to express so you can breastfeed every 4 hours and bottle feed in between? I know people will warn you about nipple confusion, but I have never had an issue with it and a loooooot of my friends who have breastfed, aslo bottle fed with no problems at all.