+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Tens machine

I am looking into pain relief options for labour and I have read a little about the Tens machine. I was wondering if anyone has had experience with these machines and what your thoughts were? They are not cheap at a couple of hundred dollars each so I would dearly love any advice. Thanks!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi! I'm interested to know too 😊

Thanks
    Reviews
    We hired one (much cheaper) and then if it didn't work or we didn't use it, we weren't worried about the expense.
    Unfortunately the one we hired was faulty and as we didn't test it before i went into labour, i didn't end up using it. It was shocking me every time i moved the controller, without pressing the button and when there were no contractions it was actually painful!
    That said one of my friends recently hired from the same place and found it great for labour pre waters breaking.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I hired one as well, it worked wonderfully. Didn't require any other pain relief. I only had it up to half strength by transition so could have amped it up even more had it been required. I think having a task to do every contraction, turning it on and off and fiddling with the levels, is a distraction as well.

I hired from www.birthpartner.com.au

Thanks
    Reviews
    Aldi had them 2-3 weeks ago for sale for $50. My DH bought one for his leg injury but the pads are the same as what's used in labour. Check your local Aldi as they may still have some then toss it on eBay once you are done.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I used one (Mil had one she never used and gave it to me and I hired one the first time) for both labours, they are best for first stage labour and should be started up then, apparently not as effective if you first use them in established labour. I found them good to distract from contraction pain if a bit weird, buzzy and a little annoying, it was better than contraction pain! I will use it again thi time a round for a bit but I found that I automatically gravitate towards water (ie shower) for pain relief later in labour (that wouldn't mix with a tens!!).
    How much is it to hire one?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I am using a hire machine right now for pain relief for my unstable pelvis. The place I got mine from has different packages, and hire starts at $50, but the machines are really good quality.

I'm not sure if we are allowed to link, but it is called sweet beats if you want to google

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks ladies that seems like great feedback. I too am thinking the shower may give me good relief and could imagine the tens not mixing well with water haha. I was just a bit concerned
    that they might be a bit gimmicky. I may look at the hire option as this seems more reasonable. Do you still think they are worthwhile if they are really only used in early labour?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs06 View Post
    Thanks ladies that seems like great feedback. I too am thinking the shower may give me good relief and could imagine the tens not mixing well with water haha. I was just a bit concerned
    that they might be a bit gimmicky. I may look at the hire option as this seems more reasonable. Do you still think they are worthwhile if they are really only used in early labour?
    I think it would still be worthwhile to hire one. The way I see it the more pain management options you have up your sleeve the better, because you never know what will actually help on the day. You may end up feeling worse in the shower and end up spending all your time out with the tens. Or you the opposite may be true, so the more things you have to try out the better, especially if you are aiming for drug free

Thanks
    Reviews
    I hired my tens machine with the birth of my DD. I can't compare it to not having one but I found it great. I used it for 8 hours of induced 2 min contractions with 60 sec durations and it really helped.
    I went to an information session on it at the hospital just prior. So look into that as it may help your decision. You get to test then out on your arm there to understand a little more about what your signing up for.
    Also, the guy running the session said that the pregnancy machines actually run at a slightly different frequency to sporting injury type ones. So I'd be reluctant to use alternative machines from another source (ie eBay, friends etc). Good luck!