+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Advice needed- 11 week old do hard to get to sleep

Hi. I have a beautiful 11 week old little boy i love him to bits but He is not a good sleeper at all. My day starts at sevenish on a grest day when he wakes for a feed by 8.30-9 he shows tired signs so I wrap him and rock, feed, music,pat. And whatever else to get him to sleep. He cries Even though. When he finally is asleep I sit and hold him so he doesn't wake. When I'm sure he is asleep I go to put him down. He either wakes or only lasts about ten mins before waking. This lasts all day with him getting more and more overtired. By night we start the bedtime routine by fuve thirty with bath etc I try again feed, rock, walk, pat everything I can think of and he cried in my arms to sleep again. I then try to put him down after spending an hour getting him to sleep. He lasts twenty mins and we start the process again. This goes on for about four to five hrs every night. Once he has the first long sleep he wakes every 2 1/2 hrs all night for feeds. Which is So much better than the every hr and a half it used to br Because my husband works away I don't get dinner most nights. I've started having showers in the afternoon when I can and trying to eat something in those twenty mins although no time to cook mostly just toast. Not sure what else to do. I've read do many books and tried everything that's been suggested to me except let him cry. He does enough of that in my arms already. I am just exhausted and I know a lot of people with babies and no one has these problems. Just not sure what else to do.....

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    He sounds overtired to me. Can you put him in a carrier after a feed and continue your chores whilst he sleeps. Or in the pram. Push him up and down till he dozes and it's easier to resettle. I'd also try and put him down about an hour after he wakes.

Once he isn't too tired you could try other things. DD slept in the carrier or pram during the day till 6mths old ish. Only way she would sleep. I user to put her in the pram in ju lounge and rock her off whilst watching tv on low for background noise. The pram had a covert block light outback bit.

Hth

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh I'm sorry the first weeks are so hard! I found that a battery operated swing would keep my dd sleeping for ages. During the day of course.
    What about a ticking clock to resemble your heartbeat, covered by a piece of your clothing for smell?
    Or white nose like a radio or washing machine on to keep baby company?

He is obviously not being able to settle without you, so do try to let him cry for a few mins before you go to pick him up, to see if he can learn to settle himself.

Go to your health nurse, they often run sleeping sessions which might help u out.

Stick with it, it does get better!

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Congrats in your bubba... I agree with pp. It sounds like bubba is overtired.

Bub learning to self settle now will save you headaches down the track. Rocking bub to sleep/using a dummy etc can cause sleep issues (if bub wakes during a sleep and anything in the environment is different such as they are not being rocked they will crack up). Have a read of 'save our sleep' by Tizzie Hall. It's got lots of hints about self settling. (note: there are plenty of Tizzie haters on this app. Even if you don't want to follow everything you might still pick up sone useful bits).

With night bed time the things that helped my bub get over a similar rough patch:
    - no tv in the 2 hours before bed
    - before bedtime feed in a dark and quiet room.

Good luck

Thanks
    Reviews
    Try one of these http://mobywrap.co.nz/ I use one with my DD she is 10 weeks old and falls asleep as soon as she is in it. I can get most of my housework done with her in it and I can start to prepare meals etc. Don't be put off if the first few times he gets upset when put in it once he is used to it he will love it

Thanks
    Reviews
    I agree with PP he sounds overtired and waking after 1 sleep cycle (about 40 minutes) and then can't resettle because the environment has changed from when he fell asleep. Imagine if you fell asleep in bed and woke up in the garden... very confusing and scary for a tiny bubs. A swing or push in the pram may work better, or try rocking till very drowsy but not quite asleep and then put him down. Also try and begin your go to sleep routine before he gets tired (after an hour wake time) with some quiet time reading a book or looking out of the window to calm him down.

Unfortunately frequent feeding day and night is normal for this age. Try and make sure he gets a full feed each time, this may start to stretch out the time between feeds.

It does get easier so hang in there! If you are still stuck I would go and see your MCHN or doctor - they may be able to provide a referral for more support.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Thanks everyone. Yeah it's a vicious circle of seeing the first tired sign and him fighting me to go to sleep then being overtired. After days of crying we are having an okay day today. Has been going off without too much trouble but only stays asleep one sleep cycle. Still can't resettle himself during the day. At night he just wakes to be fed every three hrs.
    Yes we have a swing and LOVE it- best thing I own. When all else fails that's where he sleeps.

I will have to give the clock a go- I did it for my puppy lol

I will also have to give my carrier another go- tried it a month ago and he hated it but might have better luck now.

Have tried everything else- even in desperation gave SOS a go. It was a no go for my lil man and I couldn't handle it either. Although I have friends who swear by it and there babies do sleep really well.

I've been to see the health nurse and her advice was he has to learn let him cry! There has to be another way to teach him to settle himself ! I'm going to get Elizabeth p.... Forget her last name book and give that a go as well. We will get there!!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hey, I feel your pain! My daughter who is 10 weeks is the same and wakes after only 45 mins.
    I find that swaddling her, and making sure she's in bed at least one and a half hours after last waking seems to work. I've been following Gina fords routines and her suggestion if baby won't re settle is to get baby to sleep no matter how so they get used to being asleep at those times.
    I've had some days where I've cuddled my girl to sleep. Today she woke at the 45 min mark again, grizzled for 10 mins, then went back to sleep. I almost went in to her room and just as I had my hand on the door handle, she quietened down. If she was screaming, I would go in straight away to calm her.
    I hope you can find something that helps. I've just accepted now that some days she'll sleep well and others will just be a write off.
    X

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by lovepink View Post
    Still can't resettle himself during the day.

I've been to see the health nurse and her advice was he has to learn let him cry! There has to be another way to teach him to settle himself ! I'm going to get Elizabeth p.... Forget her last name book and give that a go as well. We will get there!!!!

Hi, There may be something here that hasn't been suggested yet.. http://www.mybabysleepguide.com/2009...short-nap.html

Some of Elizabeth Pantley's no cry sleep solution methods are also explained in the blog..

Good Luck!