+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Gosh, if the family is that hopeless then I would be staying right away from them!
    If FIL can't stop himself from kissing his own mother - I'm sure she would understand. Its your child's life!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    **possibly distressing**

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/ar...rus-late-.html

This article might help- if you were to print it for the family, they may see how serious cold sores can be- as PP's have said, they can be fatal to babies, please don't risk it!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by katezane View Post
    Defiantly very serious. And don't you think about kissing her either. Noway would you want your newborn to have that and potentially spread to genital herpes further down the track. Keep your foot down on this one!
    Just so you know, it can't spread to genital herpies, it's a different virus. That's not to say you can't get HSV1 on the genitals but it is not the same.

In two weeks their cold sores should be cleared up or at least not active (fingers crossed) but if not definitely keep the baby away and maybe get the doctors to explain if the family won't listen. I have had a few coldsores since having my DS and I don't kiss him. I also use alcohol hand gel and make sure I clean his hands also if he touched my face. We have had no problems but I also assume he has some immunity from me so the risk is higher from others if you don't have the virus.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Get your partner to lay down the law with them. If they can't keep their hands of then they can't see bub until all better. It might seem mean but tough titties.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Wow! I had no idea they were THAT bad in newbies! DD caught it off DF (we weren't entirely sure it was a coldsore, I don't get them and DF hadn't had one in years) but DD caught the virus (Dr confirmed it) - apparently the initial exposure is the worst, so in hindsight I can see how dangerous it would be to little babies. DD was 11kg and 85cms at 18months (she lost a kg and only now has gained it back, 3 months later!) and she got them around her mouth and 3 in her mouth - she didn't eat for a week, she slept with me but drooled all night and it stank and she didn't sleep well at all. I was a mess - luckily she took formula like a champ so that was all we could get into her - if when we have another, I will definitely not be letting anyone kiss her if they have a sore, or if I know they can get them!

Just put your foot down, you'd rather Bubba be safe and healthy and have the in laws be sh***y for awhile then baby be unwell! X

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Just to clear up a few things- cold sores are caused by the herpes simplex virus- there are two strains HSV1 and HSV2. Traditionally HSV1 was oral herpes (cold sores) and HSV2 was genital herpes, but nowadays they are all mixed up and you can get either strain as either oral or genital herpes. Many people with genital herpes carry the HSV1 strain, and many with cold sores carry the HSV2 strain. It is suggested that is you have the herpes virus somewhere (genital or oral), it is unlikely you will get it somewhere else (ie, if you have genital herpes, your body will build up immunity to it, and you're less likely to get cols sored). It cannot 'spread' from one part of the body to another because it sits dormant in your nerve endings between outbreaks, it won't travel from the nerves in your face to the nerves in your genitals.

Women having an active outbreak of genital herpes are highly discouraged from giving birth vaginally as contact with the sores is extremely dangerous for a newborn, sometimes resulting in death or severe illness (with long-term problems). Since it is essentially the same virus, it means that contact with cold sores is also very very dangerous for babies. One of my friends' sons got it as a toddler and he was really really sick, you can imagine how awful it would be for a newborn.

I am usually very relaxed about mouth kissing etc (cultural in my hubby's family as well so I completely understand the 'pressure' to not be too protective etc, and I kind of like how loving they all are anyway), but I would say anyone with a cold sore could not visit or come near baby til the sore is COMPLETELY gone. Which as PP said, it should be cleared up in the next couple of weeks, but if her immunity is compromised she may have constant outbreaks.

It sounds awful, but its so ingrained culturally, they won't even think twice about kissing baby etc, even after being asked not to. The risk just isn't worth it.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Annabella For This Useful Post:

Purple Poppy  (14-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Atropos View Post
    This article might help
    Those poor people I just bawled my eyes out

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    It really upsets me that his family would be that selfish and that you are having to justify your child's safety. I just wish people would respect our wishes as mums. Whether it be ott to them or not. It's your child your choice . You should be able to put your foot down and say " this is how it is"

Thanks
    Reviews
    Dear All,

I am currently making myself sick with worry following a day out with my cousin and his family. My cousin had a beard, so it wasn't until after he had blown a number of raspberries on my 11 month old son's neck that I noticed that he appeared to have the later stages of a cold sore break out. The blister on his lip was a nearly healed pink color, whereas the nasal lesion was scabbed. My little boy was also grabbing at his beard and is a profound thumb sucker.

I am truly making myself sick with worry as to my 11 month old baby's risk of developing HSV-1. He has a habit of rubbing his eyes, so in turn would be a high risk of eye infection if he contracted the virus. I feel so terrible for not having been aware enough to stop my cousin.

I would truly appreciate any feedback from you all.

Warm regards

Buttoneska is offline Winner 2010- Most Community Minded Thread Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I saw your other post and didn't reply cos I don't know anything about it. I'm sorry you are so stressed. I works think tgat at almost twelve mths the risks wouldn't be as bad as for a newborn. Can tou chat to your gp or Mchn

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Buttoneska For This Useful Post:

laned  (14-04-2014)