+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Oblena is offline I've done it in public and I'll do it again - I don't care who sees!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Cold sores can kill babies - do not let them near the baby. This fact is easily googled

Thanks
    Reviews
    The coldsore virus can (and has) kill newborns and young children, if they can't remember not to kiss your children and not to touch the coldsores and to wash their hands before contact with things / bubby then I would suggest a mask and handwash or not to come

Sent from my MB526 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Defiantly very serious. And don't you think about kissing her either. Noway would you want your newborn to have that and potentially spread to genital herpes further down the track. Keep your foot down on this one!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Keep them away at all costs. DD got infected by my ex MIL when she was 10 days old, we spent 3 weeks in hospital with her from one exposure...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    OH no!

I'm sorry to hear about the stories of mums on here who had sick babies, I had no idea it was this common.

I had a group I liked on facebook about raising awareness and by coincidence it popped up in my news feed recently and I thought "uh oh!" because DH's family have it so bad

They are not the type of family to listen to me say no to things like kisses etc, so it would come down to me not letting them hold him or see him, which will NOT go down well at all. They just think I am too australian and dismiss me all the time when I say not to kiss or touch us if they are really sick. They exposed me to chicken pox when pregnant with DD1, and only asked me a few days later if I was even immune, and I always had to stop FIL sucking their dummies to "clean them" YUCK.

So I am going to ask my Ob about this, but does anyone know how seriously I should treat it. I mean, is saying "no kisses" enough, or are they not supposed to hold him at all for a few weeks?

I have never had a cold sore, and neither have DD1 and DD2. Does that mean we are fine to kiss him?

FYI, FIL gave the latest infection to his mother. He said he feels bad about kissing her while infected as he didn't think about it. She is dying from cancer and is on chemo, and DH told him not to touch her/kiss her if sick and explained her compromised immunity. If he couldn't even do that, I have high doubts about him listening to me about this.

Opinionated is offline Winner 2009 - Best Avatar
    You know you love me.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    How seriously should you treat it? If your newborn is exposed to the cold sore virus THEY CAN DIE. IT'S DEADLY SERIOUS.

Given what you have said, I would definitely not let FIL visit. He has badly compromised his own mothers health already. Anyone with a cold sore would not be allowed to visit if I were you. It's just not worth it.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Opinionated For This Useful Post:

beebs  (14-04-2014),TinyLittleTootsies  (26-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    The virus can enter their blood****** and their cerebral spinal fluid and travel up to their brain and cause brain injury. A very Nasty virus.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Herpes aka cold sores is horrible not to scare or worry you, I would suggest a general no mouth kissing rule. To my knowledge it is only passed saliva to saliva

Ds got herpes off his father about a year ago and he wouldn't eat for a week, and was drooling so much because he couldn't swallow The first time is the worst as it is usually internal meaning all through the gums and throat. There is no treatment it's something you have for life and as soon as your body is run down, they pop up. I find that 90% of the creams and patches don't work

Do your best to prevent the kids getting them, if they do then know the pain doesn't last too long

10. The Following User Says Thank You to daysta112 For This Useful Post:

AngelicHobgoblin  (11-07-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    There was an article last year about a newborn baby who had passed away because her mother kissed her while she had a cold sore on her lip.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I never knew cold sores were so serious with babies I've suffered from cold sores as long as I can remember. Thankfully I haven't had any in the last 11 weeks DD has been here. At what point do them become less deadly to a baby? Obviously I wouldn't kiss her with one and wash my hands constantly.

Sorry for hijacking your thread OP.