+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Cold sore virus making a newborn sick.

My Dh's family get cold sores. I have a c-section booked for just over 2 weeks time... and when I just saw his grandmother last week, her lips, the skin between her nose and her nostrels are all covered in sores She has cancer and so her immune system is bad and the virus is making her sick. However she is european and everyone kisses on the lips and face etc when seeing each other. So the other day, I notice now that FIL has 2 cold sores, Aunt in law has them all over her mouth, and SIL and MIL were complaining that they think they are going to get one soon as their lips are tingling.

Now I am freaking out... .

Does anyone know the actual risk of cold sores and newborns? I couldn't get my grandmother in law NOT to kiss my 2 girls when we saw her, and FIL kept "forgetting" not to kiss their heads etc which doesn't matter I guess as they are older and have hair covering their heads. I am just worried about this happening to my newborn in a couple of weeks. I have never had the virus, nor has anyone in my family and DH has never had it since we have been together, so I am pretty sure I don't have immunity and therefore won't pass any onto my baby, which puts him more at risk right?

We didn't see family last time straight after our daughters births as we didn't live near them so I didn't have to worry. I also didn't know about the cold sore risk!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Don't quote me on it but I think cold sores on babies can be VERY serious!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi I don't want to cause unnecessary alarm so please ask your doctor, but from what I know, your newborn needs to be shielded from cold sores. The virus can attack their system and liver. When my SIL had her baby, another lady in hospital had to wear a face mask (like surgical one) when holding her newborn b/c she had a cold sore.
    I get them often and stay away from newborns, I dont even hold them let alone kiss.
    Maybe ask your doc to give u some printed info that you can share with the family.
    Good luck.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sorry I also wanted to add that you can buy Lysine supplements from the chemist that can help reduce outbreaks, or severity and length of outbreak. So it's possible if they start taking now, perhaps the sores will be cleared up. Obviously everyone is different but I find Lysine helps me

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by peasmum View Post
    Hi I don't want to cause unnecessary alarm so please ask your doctor, but from what I know, your newborn needs to be shielded from cold sores. The virus can attack their system and liver. When my SIL had her baby, another lady in hospital had to wear a face mask (like surgical one) when holding her newborn b/c she had a cold sore.
    I get them often and stay away from newborns, I dont even hold them let alone kiss.
    Maybe ask your doc to give u some printed info that you can share with the family.
    Good luck.
    Wow, a mask! I had a cold sore the day I had my DS. I was just told to not kiss him (obviously!). Now I'm wondering if a mask is overkill or if my hospital was just blasé about it...

Zombie_eyes is offline Formerly Diamondeyes
    Winner 2012 - Biggest Computer Nerd
    Winner 2013/14 - Funniest Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Very very serious hunni, it makes them incredibly ill, ds#1 gets them all the time, when ds#2 came along, the doctor went a bit nuts and we had to keep them away from each other, anti bacterial hand wash 50 times a day etc... Bubby ended up getting very ill, in hospy. It was terrible.

Im sorry if im scaring you, but they need to stay away

Thanks
    Reviews
    Keep bub away from anybody with a cold sore. It's very dangerous and can be fatal.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Peasmum is right, it can be dangerous to newborns. I personally wouldn't let them anywhere near my baby. In fact, unless they wipe their hands over with an ethanol rub as well as wearing a mask, they can pass it on very easily. The virus can survive on inanimate objects for 6hrs.

Sent from my HTC Desire using BubHub
    Last edited by MoonstoneMare; 26-04-2012 at 21:23.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had a cold sore myself when I gave birth to DS and no-one at the hospital semed especially concerned except when I went with DS to the SCN and they wanted to confirm it was no longer in the contagious weeping stage - technically if the sore is dry and scabbed over it should no longer be contagious but I would still be cautious.

Naturally I was cautious to use good hygiene and wash hands before handling newborn DS, and didn't kiss him etc but that is something anyone with a cold sore should do. No-one with a cold sore should be kissing anyone let alone a newborn. It's just common sense and I see nothing wrong with telling your in-laws (politely but firmly!) that there are no kisses for the kids, or sharing food and drink, while there is any sign of a cold sore. Look for a fact sheet you can print off for them if you have too!

If there are serious health risks to a newborn I don't know about them - I think more of a concern is the herpes virus strain that causes genital herpes rather than the strain that causes cold sores of the mouth. But I still want to avoid infecting my kids at all costs because they are such an absolute nuisance and embarrassment at times. Tricky when kids just touch faces and mouths without warning but fingers crossed they have natural immunity!

Edit: Just did a quick google and seems it can be highly dangerous for a newborn so don't know why neither my Ob or midwives wern't concerned. Not sure either what the exact stats are, perhaps the risks listed are rare worst case outcomes but of course with a newborn why take any chances!
    Last edited by Cat13; 26-04-2012 at 21:39. Reason: additional info

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'd stay away! It's not worth the risk of bub catching them.