+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Goats milk vs Cows milk for bf baby?

DS is nearly 12months. DH and I were chatting tonight and I mentioned that I wanted to try DS on a little bit of goats milk in the next few weeks. DH thought this was really strange and 'disgusting' and when he asked me why/what are the benefits I was stumped! I'm not sure why I'm so certain that goats milk is better for him, I do know that it's the closest to human milk so perhaps that's why?

Can the wise ladies of bubhub enlighten me please? Is goat better? DS has only had formula a handful of times in his life so I just assumed goats milk would be easier on his digestive system.

(We are not weaning him from bm, just maybe the odd time in the future as I am working more.)

~TIA~

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Just a few:

Nutrient content of goat milk is slightly less than cow milk but goat milk is more digestible because the fat molecules are one-fifth the size of those from cow milk -- making it easily tolerated by those with compromised digestive systems.

· Seventy-two percent of the milk used throughout the world is from goats. It is one-third richer than cows milk but more nourishing and easier to digest.

· The flavor of goat milk is comparable to that of cow milk. Goat milk has a milder taste.

· Goat milk has no cream separation because of smaller fat molecules.

· Goat milk contains pre-formed Vitamin A in the milk fat that allows it to be readily available for use by the body.

· Goats milk contains a more highly-evolved cholesterol than cows milk, making it more available for absorption to the brain and body. (Cholesterol is essential to the health of the myelin sheaths "white matter" of the nerves in the brain.)

· Goat milk is closer to human milk and is therefore easily accepted especially by those young or frail.

· Goat milk has an alkaline reaction the same as mother's milk. Cow milk has an acid reaction

· Goat milk does not form mucous (phlegm) and is therefore better tolerated by asthmatics and those with allergies.

· Goat milk contains 2% curd, which precipitates in the stomach. Cows milk is 10% curd.

· Goats milk contains a higher evolved carotene (pro-Vitamin A). Researchers have found this to have cancer preventing properties.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

Etienne  (26-04-2012),saltygirl  (29-06-2012)