+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    My son was very difficult with teeth brushing around 2.

If I had my time over, I would pin him down more, notwithstanding the screaming.

Despite good diet, he has 3 small cavities at 3.5.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I've always been vigilant with DS teeth, it's never been an issue. I'm not sure whether this is because I've always done it without fuss or he's just one of those kids who doesn't mind having his teeth brushed.

He is now 6 and I plan to brush his teeth until the recommended 7-8 (although I understand this may not be possible for all families who have a fighter) but I have just started letting him brush his own teeth in the mornings as it's hectic enough without one more thing for me to do.

I don't let him drink juice often, nor soft drink. He has got a bit of a sweet tooth but sweets are still a rarity in this house.

Thanks
    Reviews
    DS is 18 months and hates brushing i have to hold him arms down which I hate doing but do once a day to stop his teeth rotting even though i guess he doesn't have much sugar, just water and milk and some home made cake or biscuits now and then. He will happily suck away on the brush though!

Sent from my GT-I9000 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stiflers Mom View Post
    I would love to be able to brush my DD's teeth but she is a nightmare and refuses. She just chews the brush with a bit of natural toothpaste. I'm not sure how to handle it other than holding her down. I'm hoping she has good teeth...
    Yep same

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    It's not negotiable here, actually the only thing that is not negotiable really.

Bribery works now she's old enough if we have to, before that worked we would pin her down. Although she's pretty good now.

She's been visiting the dentist since 12 months and has perfect teeth

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I don't know if absence of sweet drinks is enough. My son has no juice or soft drink, but cavities.

I have very cavity prone teeth, whereas my partner has these bulletproof teeth. He can neglect them and never gets cavities.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I bought one of those flashing lights so the kids know they've brushed for long enough.

We also change our brushes with the seasons, too many people use their tooth brushes for too long

I only buy soft toothbrushes and the smallest one recommended for their ages - too many popel use too hard a toothbrush and too big ones as well. A bigger brush does not clean better and you are more likely to miss the back bits

Brushing is only 1/4 of the storey, rinsing, and flossing are also necessary and in later years a mouth wash a few times per week as well once they are olde enough to rinse and spit - we use homemade saline with bicarb as a mouth wash - it neutralizes the acid.

My kids have been seeing the dentist every 6 months for ages

And all that being said, DS has still required one filling due to fissures. Both kids have had their fissure sealed now.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MsMummy View Post
    I don't know if absence of sweet drinks is enough. My son has no juice or soft drink, but cavities.

I have very cavity prone teeth, whereas my partner has these bulletproof teeth. He can neglect them and never gets cavities.
    I was quite stressed for some time when DS kept requiring antibiotics for recurring severe ear infections and tonsilitis. They're terrible for teeth. Thank goodness his dentist has given him the thumbs up.

Has your LO had ABs? I've also heard that decay can be carried from parent to child so it's not always a parent's "fault".

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    It's important.

When she was little, I would lay her on the floor, her head between my legs, my legs holding her arms and legs down, and my hand holding her mouth open while I brushed with the other hand. It was that much of a struggle, but I was willing to go through it to protect her teeth.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Benji, he did have some abs when he was younger.

It's also the structure of the teeth as food can get stuck. Plus some bacteria that some people get.

I don't feel neglectful, but with the next child, I will force the issue.

He willingly had one filling, but refused the other two, so the dentist will try again in a few months.

We are also using a protective tooth mousse.