+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Brushing children's teeth

How important is it in your household?
    Do you start brushing your childrens teeth early?
    Do you monitor the amount of sugary foods your kids eat?

I thought it was the norm to ensure good habits such as brushing teeth are enforced early but the thread about a child having coke made me think it's not. Don't know what happened to that thread, it disappeared!

For our family, as soon as our boys got his first tooth completely through we started brushing twice a day. We have always been sugar conscious with our boys. Dh and I both have good teeth and we make every effort and hope our boys will too. Ds1 is 4 yrs and he happily brushes without fuss morning and night.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    We brush morning and night with an all natural toothpaste. Sometimes we miss it due to simply forgetting, or DS losing his toothbrush yet again etc but generally we're on top of it. By the time they have their first tooth we start wiping it with a face cloth and use a brush once they have 4 teeth. We are very conscious of how much sugar they eat but to be honest, when I think about their sugar intake it isn't their teeth I'm thinking about. The only time I think teeth is with lollipops and my kids aren't allowed to eat lollipops due to how bad they are for your teeth.
    It surprises me that people don't worry too much about their kids teeth, then again up until a couple of weeks ago I still had 2 baby teeth and up until my 3rd pregnancy I had never had a filling either. My baby teeth completely rotted out so they've been pulled but I'm 29 and I consumed a TON of sugar growing up.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Brush morning and night here post 9mths and before was with a face washer. DD brushes hers with me in the morning and with DH at night in her bath. It's part of her routine.

No sugary foods or drinks allowed except on special occasions. Fruit is always followed by water to rinse of any residual fruit acids/sugars. She drinks fluoridated water and sufficient milk for calcium.

I have shocking teeth enamel probs so extra careful with DDs. At the same time I did bf DD to sleep till recently.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes. Its very important in my family.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Yes very important... We brush DSD's teeth morning & night, she also does it but we do it first to make sure they get a thorough clean

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    DS wouldn't let us forget teeth brushing, he loves it, the weirdo we almost never give him anything to drink other than water or milk, he might have a juice once every one or two months. I grew up never having sweet drinks, so i don't even think to offer them.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710a using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would love to be able to brush my DD's teeth but she is a nightmare and refuses. She just chews the brush with a bit of natural toothpaste. I'm not sure how to handle it other than holding her down. I'm hoping she has good teeth...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Stiflers Mom View Post
    I would love to be able to brush my DD's teeth but she is a nightmare and refuses. She just chews the brush with a bit of natural toothpaste. I'm not sure how to handle it other than holding her down. I'm hoping she has good teeth...
    This is my DS too. He is 2. It is so difficult to brush his teeth. I have to 'sit' on him and pin his arms down to do so. And then he clamps his mouth shut and so it's minimal brushing anywhere.

I don't have any fillings at all. So I'm hoping he will have good teeth. We shall persist with the brushing and hopefully he just grows out of the tantrums.

Any tips to combat this behavior would be welcomed

9. The Following User Says Thank You to misho For This Useful Post:

Stiflers Mom  (26-04-2012)

sweetsugardumplin' is offline be the change you want to see in da world
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Morning and night for us too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    OK, I'll admit it. I'm shocking at enforcing 2x daily brushing.

Well, at least once a day my girls brush their teeth themselves (2 and 4) because they have electric toothbrushes and do not want me to help. I can mostly convince the 4 year old, but the 2 year old clamps her mouths shut, or screams then gags, so I have to admit that me actually brushing their teeth correctly (because they don't) doesn't happen all that often. A few times I have noticed slight build up and then I insist.

They only have water or milk at home though, as I did when I was a kid. When we are out they do have things like babycinos and juice. With the inlaws they are shocking with lollies and that is the only time I freak out and insist on holding them down to make sure their teeth are 100%.

They have both had dental checks once a year since turning 1 though. The dentist has said they have perfect teeth. I guess that helps me to be lazy because I think they have my strong teeth. I am not that great with brushing but I have never had a single issue with my teeth, I get yearly cleans too and the last one said he has never seen someone my age with teeth in such great condition (haha sounds like such a gloat, but Im only adding it to fit with the context I swear!). DH was so p!ssed off because he has shocking teeth. I asked the dentists we have been to about kids brushing and they have all said what I am doing is fine and that it is more about diet than brushing twice a day. This is why I get so upset with the inlaws telling my girls eating as much junk as they like and juice/cordial etc is fine as long as you brush your teeth really well. Clearly didn't work for their children!