+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Unhappy 9 day old son with thrush :(

Hi Ladies,

Quick question when i went and weighed Hunter today, i saw the pharmacist and she had a look at hunter, i went in as i thought hunter had fomula bulid up on his tongue and was looking for a cleaner to remove it/his weigh in But she told me he had mouth thrush, i feel like such a bad mum i didn't notice it (after i had a big cry i feel ok i guess ) I have been washing his tongue hoping it would come off. it hasn't at all...

she gave me nilstat for him to be treated. have any of you mums ever had this nilstat and how long till it starts working? or is there something else that will be better... hunter is only 9 days old

I have rang my normal GP and can't get a appt till Saturday and the other clinic is shut at 6pm in Robina. i have considered calling Medicall. Do you think i am overreacting? he seems fine eating fine etc happy little boy but keeps chewing his tongue and gets a bit whingy... any advice???

I have been washing his tongue hoping it would come off. it hasn't at all...and now i know why....

Bubs is feeding on S26 gold fomula and i clean and boil his bottles after every feed, i am using the tommee tippee breast and bottle ones. i am considering buying the DR Brown bottles......

Given the thrush is on his tongue and the gums and roof of his mouth would you see a GP? i think its nessary any advice?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    Hun it just one of those thing little bubs get. Don't stress. I often get it in my nipples and in bub mouth in the first weeks. It will clear up in a day or so, now you have some meds for it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hi, my little man got it at about 5 weeks (7 weeks now). Nilstat worked for us. I bf but I felt guilty about dummies. I think it started working pretty much straight away. But you will probably notice a difference after about 2 days (white will settle down and go away).. There is daktarin as well but they have to be older for that do the nilstat it probably the only option for you. If you worried call, that's the point of these services. We have health direct we call, it's really handy.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi hun,
    Definitely one of those things that some bubs just get. My ds had this and his mouth was covered in white amd I didnt even know what it was until the MCHN told me it was thrush.
    With DS it did clear up after using Nilstat. Just keep giving him that and make sure you sterilise all the bottles and teats and dummies otherwise it will just keep spreading.
    You should start to see an improvement after a few days of using Nilstat.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Dont stress hon, Nilstat is what the doc would give, my DS and I had it when he was 3 mths old thats what the doc gave us. Daktarin is great too but it is not recommended for bubs under 6 mo.

Be really careful with the bottles, continue as you are doing sterilising everything and change bubs clothes daily, clean bubs hands aswell.

Bub will start feeling better very soon, its a bit uncomfortable for them but it will feel much better after 24 hours, just make sure and continue to use the Nilstat for at least 3 days afetr the thrush appears to be gone just to ensure that it is gone!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Dont feel bad at all, thrush happens to many babies! My bubba was only a week old when he got thrush in his mouth so we bought Nilstat which took a few days to kick in but after that it went. He did get it again a few weeks later unfortunatley but again we used Nilstat and he hasnt had it since. As pp said use it for a few days after the symptoms disappear just to make sure they are fully gone Again, dont be upset it happens a lot

Thanks
    Reviews
    My son got thrush in his mouth at 5months. He had it for about a week until I actually knew what it was. It was at the time he got his first tooth and I thought he might have been scraping his gums or something. It wasn't until my mum seen it that I knew and got onto nilstat. I took my lil man to the doctors, only because he had also started fussing with his bottles and i just wanted to be sure. It seemed to have cleared up after a couple of days but noticed just today it might be coming back. I wash and sterilize bottles always and after the thrush i also done his dummies. His daycare asked me whether it was contagious but I wasn't too sure as I never thought to ask the doctor. Wondering if anyone else can tell me whether Thrush in the mouth is contagious and whether they think it's likely to be picked up in a daycare nursery (as with babies everything is always straight into their mouth!). Bub is now back feeding well but will start giving him more nilstat to hopefully clear it again. (oh I also use Dr brown bottles and love them )

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Ladies, Thank you all so much for the advice, its so reassuring that others have gone through this, i had a big cry but feel better now since you all say how common it is... i do boil and clean his gumdrop dummy and his bottles after each feed, and i wash him everyday and clean his clothes a couple times a day. i also keep his hands and face very clean and he wears mittens. i will give the meds a few days as suggested if nothing gets better will see GP just feel so hopeless and cant take it away but am going to buy the Dr brown bottles x

Thanks
    Reviews
    I work in a neonatal unit and thrush is common in the mouth and sometimes on the groin. Nilstat works a treat. Don't stress. It will go back to normal before you know it!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks ladies for all the replies. Very helpful have never had a child with thrush before so was clueless.

Today the thrush is looking better only down the sides of his tongue and the back of his throat and top of his left top side of his gums. its looking way better so defiantly looking good. he is eating better now drinking 90-120mls so defiantly a improvement.... he is much more settled and happy in himself.

I bought the Dr Brown bottles and he is doing so much better on them and barely any wind or gulping.

I have a GP appt on Monday so will get him to check him then too just to be on the safe side.

Thank you very much to everyone for your support/advice