+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Experiences with Ellen Barron Family Centre?

Has anyone been to the Ellen Barron Family Centre? In particular for help with your child's sleeping? How did you find their methods and how was your experience? TIA

jbish is offline “Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You.” Dr Seuss
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hi there! Yes we went when DD was 3 months. Was fantastic. Short post as i'm about to have tea but will come back and tell you more about my experience there.

jbish is offline “Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You.” Dr Seuss
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Ok so i'm back. Basically we went when DD was only 3 and a bit months old. I was suffering PND pretty bad and she would hardly sleep. She was overtired and it was a nightmare. I was never comfortable with what i thought was "controlled crying" and was not able to just leave her to cry it out. Basically we would put bub down when she started showing tired signs, wrap her, put her down awake. If she cried we would wait and assess the cry, if it got too bad I would go in, pick her up, settle her and start again. They prefer you not to pick them up, so ssssh or pat or whatever, but they let you do what is comfortable for you.

It will be different for you I am guessing because your bub is a little older (i'm guessing from your signature). But they were truley amazing. That place saved me, i'm sure of that! I learnt so much about tired signs and my baby and how to trust myself too. Best thing I ever did.

Now, my DD is 2 and she has been sleeping through from 6 months (she would still wake for night feeds up until then but would go straight back to sleep). She has bad nights when teething or sick but now we have our bedtime routine, I put her in bed and she goes off to sleep. No fuss. It is amazing! Whenever people are around at bedtime they always comment on how amazing she is at bed time. She still naps during the day.

I found that once I got the sleeping sorted everything seemed to fall into place. She fed better, played better was generally happier. And so was I. Sleep deprevation is horrible for anyone.

I hope this works out for you, when are you going? What sort of problems are you having? If you don't mind sharing.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thankyou so much jbish! I'd glad to hear you had such a positive experience

Yep, my DD is almost 13 months and is just a horrible sleeper. I feel like I've tried so many different techniques (and given each different one enough time to work) but nothing seems to be helping. She is really hard to get to sleep and once she's finally down she is still waking 6+ times a night (which is a lot considering she's only in bed for about 8 hours) and usually at least one of those wakes she is just inconsolable and screams for over 40 minutes. It's so frustrating and we're both exhausted.

We're not actually booked in yet, I was just recommended them by a couple of friends so wanted to hear a little more about it while looking into our options. I have booked DD in to see the MCHN to talk about it and possibly get a referral for somewhere.

I have PND as well, so that combined with the sleep deprivation is getting SO damn hard! (as it sounds like you understand!) It may sound silly but I've avoided looking into sleep schools because the thought made me feel like a bit of a failure as a mother but now feel like it's at the point where we might need the support of a professional that has a bit more knowledge on it then we do. I will especially need the support if they practice CC. We've done it to an extent but find that one hard so it's good to hear they let do what you feel comfortable with.

Wow, sorry about my novel haha but feels good to talk about it

Thanks
    Reviews
    It's amazing how much easier it is to deal with the crying etc when you have someone there supporting you that isn't emotionally invested.

I have been told that it is very hard to get in, so my advice would be honest about how bad it is with the MCHN and your PND etc. I always felt I couldn't really tell anyone how bad it really was, for fear of being judged, but it wasn't until I came clean about it all that my Dr saw how bad it really was. Thats when everything changed. I still struggle with depression and anxiety now but its not so bad without the horrible sleep deprevation.

I feel for you, I really do. I am so grateful that I got it sorted when I did. My DD had a bad few nights with teeth a few weeks bad and I almost lost it. I remember saying to my MIL that I just don't know how people do that EVERY night. You poor thing you must be truly exhausted!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mum2Bugalugs View Post
    Thankyou so much jbish! I'd glad to hear you had such a positive experience

Yep, my DD is almost 13 months and is just a horrible sleeper. I feel like I've tried so many different techniques (and given each different one enough time to work) but nothing seems to be helping. She is really hard to get to sleep and once she's finally down she is still waking 6+ times a night (which is a lot considering she's only in bed for about 8 hours) and usually at least one of those wakes she is just inconsolable and screams for over 40 minutes. It's so frustrating and we're both exhausted.

We're not actually booked in yet, I was just recommended them by a couple of friends so wanted to hear a little more about it while looking into our options. I have booked DD in to see the MCHN to talk about it and possibly get a referral for somewhere.

I have PND as well, so that combined with the sleep deprivation is getting SO damn hard! (as it sounds like you understand!) It may sound silly but I've avoided looking into sleep schools because the thought made me feel like a bit of a failure as a mother but now feel like it's at the point where we might need the support of a professional that has a bit more knowledge on it then we do. I will especially need the support if they practice CC. We've done it to an extent but find that one hard so it's good to hear they let do what you feel comfortable with.

Wow, sorry about my novel haha but feels good to talk about it
    Have you ever had her checked for silent reflux or anything else that could be bothering her?

My ds had silent reflux and did the same things as your DD until he was 18 months ...

I went to a sleep school and it was the worst thing I ever did and I regret it immensely ...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    A lady from our mothers group went there when her bub was 6/7 mths old as memory serves. It did work for him but every time they went away or he got sick or whatever she was back to square one and had to restart it again.

Just this week she said she had to leave him to "sort himself out" at 20mths old again.

Just keep in mind that it may not suit you or that it just may not work. All babies eventually grow out of constant waking up. 6-15 mths is the worst of it. My DD went thru the crappiest sleep 6-10/11 mths and became perfect at 14mths old. It's a big learning time for bubs crawling/walking plus teething and separation anxiety.

Good luck and I hope you find a solution to your sleepless nights. Mine was co- sleeping and feeding on demand.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks IzzysMummy and Jbish xxx

Me&MrMagoo - We had her checked for silent reflux at about 6 months but the results came back negative and they couldn't find any medical reasons to explain the constant wakings or being generally unsettled. They said it was just something that she will grow out of. Which I do believe will happen with time, and I understand that some babies just take longer to sleep through than others but it's just really getting me down at the moment and it's starting to effect our daily lives iykwim. It's not even sleeping through that I'd like to achieve (it would be beyond awesome if she would though haha!) it's just the screaming and fighting to get her to sleep and then the inconsolable crying in the middle of the night. I think I could handle waking once, even twice, during the night if she needed a feed or something but gosh, 6+ times is a little hard at this age. Do you mind if I ask why you regret attending sleep school?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you - you have just made me feel so much better. My DS is 9months old and still wants 2 feeds a night. I have bad PND and not sleeping is not making it easier especially as he wont sleep longer that about 20mins during the day so i cant catch up. I felt like a failure with a referral to the EBC and am really concerned about how it will work. It is nice to know that there are others out there though that feel the same.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by crusadersgirl View Post
    Thank you - you have just made me feel so much better. My DS is 9months old and still wants 2 feeds a night. I have bad PND and not sleeping is not making it easier especially as he wont sleep longer that about 20mins during the day so i cant catch up. I felt like a failure with a referral to the EBC and am really concerned about how it will work. It is nice to know that there are others out there though that feel the same.
    Huge hugs hun xxx You are most definitely not alone! I completely understand the feeling of failure. I've had trouble getting into see the MCHN so haven't got a referral yet but I really hope it works out for you xxxx