+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default I feel like the worst mother ever!!

before I start just want to say please be kind nothing you can say will make me feel worse than I already do. I am beating myself up and I think maybe if I share it may make me feel a bit better.
    early this morning my 5 week old DD woke for a bottle so I put her in bed with me for a cuddle before her feed as it was freezing then as I went to get up I don't know what happened but next thing I knew she had fallen on the floor she screamed I screamed and flew up and picked her up. I took her to the hospital to get her checked of course and they monitored her for 6 hrs as she had a small mark on her forehead where she had landed. she seems fine but gotta go back in the morning for another check over.
    I feel like the worst mother ever and of course they give u the 3rd degree at the hospital to make sure it wasnt an intentional injury even tho I know they have to do this it is makes my guilt worse. I haven't stopped crying all day and every time someone says accidents happen I feel like I still should have been a better mother!! I a afraid to let her fall asleep incase something happens in her sleep like the injury gets worse.
    Aarrggghh I feel like sh$t quite frankly
    I can be the only mum this has happened to right??
    thanks for listening

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    hugs hun, you are def not alone.

I put DD in her swing when she was 4 months old (we just got out of the car after driving Sydney to Melbourne...walked in the door, dealing with a grumpy 6 year old, trying to unpack/get dinner/go to loo) and didn't do up the strap...heard a thump and came back to DD face down on the floor.

I was devastated...she must have fully flipped over to be where she was.

She is fine, as will your bub be.

be kind to yourself

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to River Song For This Useful Post:

Angel13  (26-04-2012),MissMuppet  (26-04-2012),ShellieBellie1983  (26-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    OH honey, trust me your NOT alone. The day my DS was born (thats right he was about 2 hours old) i realised his nail were really long (he was over due) and needed to be trimed. I got the nail clippers out and clipped the first one fine but the second one i clipped the tip of his finger OFF!!!! Did i feel like the worst mum in the world...YES!!! I look back on it now and find it a little funny...welcome toe the world, now im gonna cut your fingers off

Also, when DS was about 4 months old i was playing areoplanes with him, he slipped throuhg my hands and smacked his head on the floor .

Be kind to yourself. Your bub will be fine...theres are reason they call them BOUNCING babys . Your being harder on yourself than anyone could (thats just want us mums do) so give your bub lots of cuddles and live and learn!!! Ive been too scared to play areoplanes with DS since

big

5. The Following User Says Thank You to jennibear For This Useful Post:

ShellieBellie1983  (26-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Big hugs to you first of all and don't feel like a terrible mother because sometimes (I hate to say it but...) accidents do happen! Try not to beat yourself up about it. You sound like a beautiful caring mother and no matter how hard we try to protect our children, things happen. When dd was newborn i attempted to cut her finger nails with those baby clippers and accidentally got the top of her finger, she screamed so loud and I felt so guilty, I still hate cutting her nails now (and she's nearly 2) just give her a big cuddle and stop feeling guilty, I'm sure she knows you love her!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to melimum For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Oh, you poor thing.

I think it's more a case of 'who HASN'T done something like that'? I say that, as I really think we all have!

You're not a bad mum at all. You care, and you did all the right things. Accidents happen, and it sounds as if everything is fine.

Those first couple of months are so hard. You're exhausted, vulnerable, and trying so hard to get everything right - and then beating yourself up over everything that doesn't go perfectly.

It's really okay. If it makes you feel any better, I have had my fair share of those sorts of incidents with DD, and she is now nearly 2 and a crazy little funny chatterbox who doesn't seem at all harmed by them!

My worst one was that I kept doinking her head on door frames when I walked through them! Seriously - I must have the worst space perception!!!

They're not as fragile as they seem. Take some deep breaths, and have a nice cup of tea (or an even nicer glass of wine), and try to put it behind you.

I remember crying so much over an incident where DD fell off a chair, and now we look back and laugh about it - strange as that may seem!

It's all okay.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Guest654 For This Useful Post:

AllYouNeedIsLove  (26-04-2012),Bellaxo  (26-04-2012),ShellieBellie1983  (26-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Huge hugs. You're not alone. DS has fallen out of bed before and o have also cut the tip of hours finger when trimming his nails! I know it's hard but try not to be to hard on yourself. She will be fine.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using BubHub

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Bluest Blue Box For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DS had a few bumps from my clumsiness. One time I had him in a hugabub carrier on my front, one arm around him protectively, feeling all glowing in my wonderful mothering, putting away shopping in the car. And then I closed the boot and it conked him on the head. Yes, I am that clumsy. He was fine, thankfully, but you can imagine how awful I felt. I blame sleep deprivation. It enhances poor decision making and clumsiness, plus makes us feel worse about the consequences. (not saying you are any of these things, but I sure am.)

I'm sure everything will be fine, but it sure can be stressful.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to MissMuppet For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh you poor thing, how scary!

Just remember if you really were a bad mother you wouldn't be so upset and concerned about your baby.

Accidents happen and they get worse as they get older lol.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to brooke88(mum2b09) For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hugs! Your not a bad mother you just had an accident. I have had one of mine fall off the couch as a baby too. I'm glad she's ok

17. The Following User Says Thank You to austmum For This Useful Post:

babalooba is offline Being a brother is better than being a superhero
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Girl X View Post
    My worst one was that I kept doinking her head on door frames when I walked through them! Seriously - I must have the worst space perception!!!
    Your not the only one Girl X, if its not that its accidentally hitting their heads as you put them in or out of the car. To make you feel better OP I dropped the remote control on DS1's head when he was a baby......twice in one day! I felt so horrible.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to babalooba For This Useful Post:

Guest654  (26-04-2012),ShellieBellie1983  (26-04-2012)