+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Looking for day sleep advice please!

I want to ask a question but don't even know how to word it or what it is I need to ask specifically, so please bear with me...

My daughter is 8 months old and BF but also eats solids in a BLWing way. At night time I feed her to sleep, which I don't have a problem with and she has always slept fine. My problem is with her day sleeps. When she was very young she pretty much never slept during the day and only in the last few months has began having 2 sleeps a day. The ONLY way she will sleep is if she is BFing and dummy sucking on my nipple. I don't have a problems with comfort sucking but I do have a problem with sitting on the couch for 1hr+ every morning and afternoon so she can have a sleep.

I have an Ergo carrier which she will also feed & sleep in if we are out and about, etc. But there has to be another way. How can I break that habit me and my ladybug have formed? I have tried sneaking a dummy in so I can put her down somewhere but she won't take a dummy (She had a tongue tie and has an upper lip tie so I don't think she can hold it in her mouth?) I have tried BFing her while lying down on our bed and then sneaking away when she's asleep but it doesn't work, I have also tried expressing and trying to bottle feed her to sleep but nothing works, only me! This is very endearing but not very convenient! I am not trying to make my baby 'fit into' my life for convenience, but I know this isn't how other people get their kids to nap during day so I guess I am after some advice and suggestions on where to go from here??

Thanks
    Reviews
    Subscribing as I could've written this except my DS is 11 months old

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My DS also used to feed to sleep and I was told to break that habit early on, which thankfully I did.

It took a lot of time, I started rocking him to sleep with a dummy. Every time it fell out I would put it back in and just keep holding / comforting etc.

It took us a few weeks but he's been sleeping during the day for months and settling by himself in his cot.

I don't like CC or anything like that, so I would stay with him and slowly he got the idea. The next step was putting him in his cot with dummy and patting and singing, once he got the idea of that I started putting him in his cot, no patting, no singing and he would drift off.

Now I just put him in his cot with his dummy and walk out and he goes down himself

It takes time but u just have to find a way which works for u and be persistent. Either way u r spending the time sitting there letting bubs feed / suck to sleep so if u did try something different and it takes a few weeks it might be beneficial?

Hope u find something which works for you.

You could always call your local CHN for more tips?

Ps my DS is 11 months and has been self settling during the day since around 6 months

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    We still feed to sleep here -20mth old DD was bf to sleep till a couple of weeks ago and now gets milk in a sippy cup.

But we used eliz pantley technique to get her off the boob so that I could put her down.

Have you tried letting her fall asleep in the pram and then leaving the pram in a quiet spot? I did this for DD till she was about six mths old.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have no problem with the feeding to sleep part, it's just the holding her the entire day sleeps part. I don't get it though, at night she feeds and then pulls off my boob, I pop her in the cot and all is well. She sleeps through til morning no probs. Different story during the day, if I try to put her down or move her or anything her little eyes pop open and she cries

I will look up that book, thankyou