+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Wow! These are great! Thanks guys!

I have never thought of putting pumpkin and sweet potato in. Like I've seen it done before but never tried doing it myself...so I'm going to give that a whirl next time.

Quote Originally Posted by FirstTimeMummy2012 View Post
    Just FYI because I found this fascinating when I found out ... iceberg lettuce apparently contains very little nutrients so always go for any other lettuce bar this one. My GP and naturopath told me the same thing so I'm inclined to think they're probably right.
    This is good to know thanks. Since I've cut down the calories I've had to make sure that whatever I do eat is jam packed with nutrients.

Quote Originally Posted by CheekyChicken View Post
    As in dressing? Vinegar or lime, sweet chilli sauce and a little oil is yummy but not the healthiest; balsamic, mustard and olive oil; lemon, mustard, olive oil; white balsamic and olive oil, sweet and yummy; lemon, garlic, fresh herbs, oil;

For salads themselves anything goes! My latest favourite is topping them with crunchy pumpkin chips, just deep fry strip of pumpkin that you've cut using a vege peeler, drain well, cool till crunchy. If you like sprinkle with a little cumin. Nice over a lamb and spinach with chickpea or lentil salad.
    Oh those dressings sound devine...I am so going to try the mustard one for starters...

Quote Originally Posted by amesv View Post
    My basic green salad is usually lettuce, tomato, cucumber, capsicum, red onion, feta, olives, gherkins with a spash of oil and red wine vinegar.
    A-ha!!! Someone else who puts gherkins in their salad - I do too!!!! I don't know anyone else that does, Ithought I was strange LOL

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Deep roasted sesame dressing (by kewpie brand) is delicious. It's very bad for you but so yummy. You can get it from Asian grocers

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh and this is a yummy dressing:
    1 clove garlic, minced
    1 tsp sugar
    3 tsp white vinegar
    1 tsp Dijon mustard
    8 tsp olive oil.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    For a dressing I like balsamic vinegar, olive oil, lemon juice and garlic.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FiveInTheBed View Post

...oh and the beetroot and pumpkin salad with feta cheese from Sumo Salad is DELISH!
    Omg yes it's the best!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    My favourite side salad is actually really simple: spinach leaves, bocconcini, tomato and balsamic vinegar.

For salad as a meal my favourite is roast pumpkin, chickpeas, grilled onion, Parmesan, spinach leaves and fetta.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My favourite side salad is actually really simple: spinach leaves, bocconcini, tomato and balsamic vinegar.

For salad as a meal my favourite is roast pumpkin, chickpeas, grilled onion, spinach leaves and fetta.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    We are all addicted to raw beetroot salad lately! Chop into small cubes:

3 Baby beetroot
    2 Celery stalks
    1 Carrot
    1 small Red onion
    2 Apples
    Small bunch Coriander
    Handful chia seeds

crumble over a lot of goats cheese feta and dress with;
    Olive oil
    Lemon juice
    White balsamic vinegar
    Mix it all up and it turns bright pink! DS loves it but be warned beetroot stains!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    We have a few favourites.

Mixed lettuce & rocket, bacon, feta cheese and baked pumpkin pieces. Or if I'm feeling lazy baked sweet potato chips. No dressing.

Chicken salad. Lettuce cups with a drizzle of dressing of your choice. Dh & DD1 use french while I use Paul Newmans Classic Caesar (my favourite) then the salad is BBQ chicken pieces, red onion, cucumber, red capsicum and chives mixed with mayonaise. Just serve that on the lettuce and dressing.

Normal salads are usually lettuce, red capsicum, red onion, cucumber, tomato and snow peas. It makes a nice change to cut it all up really small sometimes too even the lettuce.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Balsamic dressing, or just some balsamic vinegar mixed with olive oil.

My fave dress is that lemon one they use at Sumo Salad. Anyone have a recipe for something similar they want to send me?