+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Living in gladstone / calliope

Hi Everyone,

My Husband has mentioned moving to Gladstone, but living in Calliope.

I'm very reluctant for him to even apply for the job as I've honestly not heard one good thing about Gladstone. I just recently read an article in regard to all the pollution, that the harbour had to be closed because the fish were making people sick, that the town is rife with drugs and violence and also that the high rents etc are driving people to leave. Oh and that there are extremely high cases of asthma and leaukemia.

We have 2 young sons, aged 4 and 2 so you can see why the above would worry me.

I'm just wanting to get some opinions of people that live or have lived in this area. I also like to be kept busy so also curious how the playgroup, shopping, sports scene is.

Thanks!

Thanks
    Reviews

Default moving to Gladstone, but living in Calliope

Hi Samiano

I will be also moving to Gladstone area (most probably Calliope) in 2 months time (my husband's been working there building houses for 7 months now, we're from the Sunshine Coast). We have relatives there, and I'm pretty sure the air problems are mainly at the harbour and town centre itself, I think the newer outer suburbs and Calliope (15-20 mins SSW) are not too bad!! I wouldn't move there otherwise!! I have a 2yr old girl too!! My husband has been working at Calliope on 2 houses and says there's a really great kids play park at Calliope and he's seen lots of mums with kids there, he also says everywhere he looks is young couples or young couples with kids, they're all in the same boat!! The rents are cheaper at Calliope than Gladstone, might be dearer overall, but the payrate is higher there than here also!!
    Last edited by 3rabbits; 28-04-2012 at 14:03. Reason: add more to post

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hi! I live in calliope! It's alot nicer out here than in gladstone and really unless you work in Gladdy there really is no reason to go in there (I don't). We seem to have everything we need here iga,gym, pizza store, places to go for dinner, playgroups and parks, even a town pool and library that are now doing baby bounce and baby mummy yoga. I do have to disagree that the rent is cheaper out here.. I have not found anything 'cheap' in calliope, a 3 bedroom townhouse is $550 a week and that's cheap. Rentals are hard to secure anywhere at the moment in the region so u gotta be fast! I highly suggest being at a job before moving here as there is no accommodation due to being booked out for workers. What u hear about Gladstone isn't very true, yes the harbour had fishing bands due to ppls safety, noone died from it or was harmed by the harbor. It was due to dredging of the harbor and everything being stirred up. Compared to bundaberg and rockhampton our drug and violence rate is low! I have not heard anything shocking that doesn't happen anywhere else. Just a pre-warning, locals aren't happy with how our towns been 'flooded' by outta towers chasing the big dollars, we have locals camping at the showgrounds as thehousing crisis is so bad. Don't come in saying negative things about what you've "heard" about the area, learn for yourself that way you dint rub people up the wrong way

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    And our air quality is fine.. It gets tested weekly because of these 'rumors', you should be able to find results online by the government

Thanks
    Reviews
    I lived in the Gladstone area for 13 years and don't know a single person with asthma or leukemia. I think the air quality issues are exaggerated!! I prefer Tannum Sands/Boyne island area myself. I like the beach!
    Yes the rent is ridiculous and the vacancy rate makes getting a place quiet hard. You have to get in quick!
    As for drugs and violence, unless you go looking for it, you probably won't be affected by it. It's not like there's people offering you drugs on the streets or high people walking around everywhere. The worst part about Gladstone is that it's a small city. Lack of variety in shops, not much to do, that sort of thing.