Closed Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    i have boys....yay me! Ive only ever had this issue when DS 8yrs got long overdue for a haircut and as he has extremely thick hair (im talking he puts the broom to shame!) its like a haven for the little buggers.

There's a little gadget you can get (last place I saw it would have been a chemist) its like a lice comb but its electric and it fries the lice and eggs on contact so all you've got to do it plug it in, sit the kid down and comb away, removing the dead electrocuted lice/eggs from the comb as you go. They've been around since I was a kid, my mum used to make me comb my hair with it every couple of days through my school years as I had hair down to my bum.

Oh I just googled it heres a link to a website that sells them $50 for it, but considering how much you pay for the lotions and stuff.... http://search.pharmacyonline.com.au/...ls/Lice%20Comb

Thanks
    Reviews
    My son came home with nits recently and I treated the whole family with delorenzo nit treatment.
    It's awesome. I used it twice and it worked straight away. In 14 days we were nit free

It's expensive but you don't need much.

Thanks
    Reviews
    The only way to rid mu nieces of them was to use a hair straightener every day... Some may think its inspproriate for young girls but it worked!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    From chatting to parents the other day whilst at school pickup I have discovered that the electric comb isnt good. One parent did tell me that orange juice either freshly squeezed or unsweetened in the hair like a treatment works and so does vinegar, the thing with nits they just seem not to be able to eradicate them so I'm guessing we just have to put up with them

Thanks
    Reviews
    Please be careful with how much tea tree oil you use. One of my nieces were fine. But the other had a severe reaction to it.

Also after getting rid of the nits and eggs i use a preventative spray every day on my daughters hair to keep them at bay. Good luck.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mumma inky View Post
    The only way to rid mu nieces of them was to use a hair straightener every day... Some may think its inappropriate for young girls but it worked!!

I use this after a nit shampoo and thorough comb- works a treat. One thing- I have seen people post about using spot on flea treatments like frontline etc and I just want to stress these are NOT safe for human use. They have not been tested for humans and are not even designed to be effective against human lice. Good luck- there is nothing more frustrating!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I haven't had this problem with my kids get, but I used to get them all the time! They love my hair!! I got them a few months ago infact and lol mum frontlined me.. as in frontlone that you use on dogs for fleas it was the first time we had tried it hahaha bit it worked!! Like straight away!!! Lol

Sent from my Racer using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I saw on BH once that some users had used the Dishwashing concentrate (Homebrand little bottle 99c) for nits. I decided to give it a try when DS had them a month or so ago (a lot cheaper than nit treatments!). It worked. I put it on his dry hair then put a shower cap on for 30 mins. Then I slathered conditioner through it (the dishwashing detergent makes the hair really knotty) and then combed with the nit comb. It makes the eggs swell up and come off the hair as well as killing the lice. I did the usual comb through with conditioner each night for a week afterwards then did the detergent again. They were gone.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Thanks for all the suggestions. I'm willing to try anything.

Never thought of frontline. Hair Straigtner- might try it for my sister and I but wont work on the boys.

Tea Tree oil- well, my son is petrified of it, and most other nit stuff. I did his hair a couple of months back and he lent forward and it ran into his eyes. They were burning him for about a day. It was heart-breaking. I also think it burnt him just underneath his right eye and it's left a very light scar. We've been using rosehip oil on it to try and clear it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by spitthedummy View Post
    I haven't had this problem with my kids get, but I used to get them all the time! They love my hair!! I got them a few months ago infact and lol mum frontlined me.. as in frontlone that you use on dogs for fleas it was the first time we had tried it hahaha bit it worked!! Like straight away!!! Lol
    Sent from my Racer using BubHub
    You are lucky you didn't have a reaction- from WA health- "The active ingredient in the products of concern (frontline) is Fipronil. Fipronil is a phenylpyrazole insecticide and acts to block the normal functioning of the central nervous system in insects and also mammals.Fipronil has been reported as causing eye irritation, skin reactions, nausea and nervous system effects in adults."
    It can be quite seriously dangerous, and children are thought to be more vulnerable to the adverse effects. It is not designed for humans. It is proven not safe for humans.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Atropos For This Useful Post:

AllYouNeedIsLove  (26-04-2012)