+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Problems bfing

My DS is 6 days old, my milk has been in since day 3. Our bfing journey has been going beautifully so far (well, easier than it did with my DD), but I'm feeling like my boobs are letting me down.

The left has gone quite soft, even in between feeds, and he no longer spends as much time on it, what time is spent on it is often pulling himself off the nipple and searching for it again, and falling asleep (and stopping sucking) after 5-10 minutes.

The right just HURTS to bf from, and he can spend up to half hour on it, pull himself off and still be hungry (which then leads to the stuffing around on the left).

I gave up bf with my DD at 1 week, and I'm seriously considering the same this time, I just can't seem to keep up with what he wants, and my nipples just hurt so much.

According to midwives at the hospital, our attachment is perfect, and it felt perfect... Up until yesterday. Now things just seem to be going wrong.

Any tips?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I'm not quite understanding your post. You said that your bub is pulling himself off the left boob after finishing on the right?

that sounds like he is feeding well. he is feeding most from the boob that for some genetic reason is producing more (define hurt - the boob or nipple) and then you offer the second boob - the left- where he will stuff around cos he is full and just there for comfort and then falls asleep.

other than the right boob hurting - it sounds normal. offer from the left first next time then the right. you might need to change your hold on your right boob - ie cradle to football or lie down in case your boob is too full of milk and you need to drain it properly.

so

1st feed right then left
    2nd feed left then right
    3rd feed right then left
    etc

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by jadeelyon View Post
    The right just HURTS to bf from, and he can spend up to half hour on it, pull himself off and still be hungry (which then leads to the stuffing around on the left).
    Firstly, congrats on the birth of your son!

When that are that little, it does always seem that they are still 'hungry' when they are fussing, but it could mean a number of different things like him needing comfort. Even if he is comfort sucking or fussing at the breast, it will still do wonders for your supply.

I wouldn't worry about your breasts feeling empty either. Your milk has only just come in so it will take a while for the supply to meet the demand.

Try not to stress, drink loads of water, and trust that clever body of yours

Oh, and everything Izzys Mummy said too

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    I agree with pp: Its still early days and your milk supply wouldn't be stable yet. Drink loads of water, eat porridge and use those gel pads (the ones you put in the freezer then in your bra). Good luck

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Agree with PPs.

I actually only offer 1 side per feed on the theory that when I empty I'm building up my supply while he keeps sucking (sucking on empty can be what fills u next time IYKWIM).

Also, if you have sore nipples, resting one side completely for a feed usually helps. Hospitals usually recommend Lansinoh (purified wool fat) slathered on your nipples to help with the soreness. If you have a crack etc Bepanthen (also used for nappy rash and you can get it in the baby aisle at Woollies) is good but you have to wash it off for feeding. My MWs recommended putting a small amount of Lansinoh on a damaged nipple to feed.

The bad soreness should only last a couple of weeks if you try all the above.

Good luck. I really regret not persisting a bit more with my elder children.

Oh, and I start each feed with a glass of water to make sure I remember!

Thanks
    Reviews
    agree with PP. you need more time for your milk to adjust. and maybe your right will always produce more - mine did.
    i also wanted to add not to forget to eat and drink lots to keep up supply.

and ask - if he feeds for a half hour on one side is he feeding all that time or does he doze off? although i agree he could be just wanting the comfort.

good luck and trust your body and allow him time to learn.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mrsd View Post
    I actually only offer 1 side per feed on the theory that when I empty I'm building up my supply while he keeps sucking (sucking on empty can be what fills u next time IYKWIM).
    I did this too. Also made expressing easier cos I could express a full boob right after feeding DD on one side. Its also easier to remember which boob to feed from next... the massive bulging one LOL