+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default BFP...but not immune to rubella?

Hi ladies
    I am super excited because I got a positive HPT (actually, if I am honest, I got seven over the last few days!) after having mc in December and two anovulatory cycles.
    But....I saw my gyn last month, when I was in Australia (am am Aussie licit in Bangkok) and he sent me for some blood tests. Turns out I am not immune to rubella, despite having had my booster two years ago.

So....now I am freaking out because I live in Bangkok and teach young kids, who are little germ carriers!

Had anyone been pregnant and not immune? How did you cope with it?

X

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I had reduced protection against rubella and so far so good. My GP said that she was concerned and to make sure I have a booster after baby is born. However I am not living in hong kong... Which I would imagine is probably not as 'clean' as Aus

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    It's so important to get bloods done before TTC.

Sorry OP, no advice, can you find out how prevalent Rubella is in Thailand?

Quote Originally Posted by squirrelex View Post
    I had reduced protection against rubella and so far so good. My GP said that she was concerned and to make sure I have a booster after baby is born. However I am not living in hong kong... Which I would imagine is probably not as 'clean' as Aus
    Bangkok is in Thailand.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to BlissedOut For This Useful Post:

bokkie_wotwot  (26-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Lots of people don't hold immunity. I know I don't. I think I've had 4 shots in the last 4 years and it still won't hold so have given up!

I've had 2 babies in that time and have been fine. Dr just said to minimize the risks where possible. But I live here. As PP said, how prevalent is it over there?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for the reply girls, good to know I am not the only one out there! To be honest, there is very little info on rubella rates that I can find online, other than they had a huge outbreak in the 80s. Thailand is one of only two countries in Asia that has an immunization scheme for MMR, but it only started about 15 years ago. There are over 100 thousand babies born with rubella syndrome in Asia each year though, which makes me think it might be quite common.

But...I resigned from my teaching job this morning as I work in am international school with kids aged 2-10 from all over the world....and the school have no record of vaccinations for the kids so I can't take the risk.

I am only 'just' pregnant though and I have already had a mc, so if this little pea doesn't stick around I have been told to go and get another jab, to try
    And give me even a wee bit more immunity than I have.

Might have to wear one of those face mask thingys that are so popular here....Eek! Lol

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I wasn't immune to rubella either and my gp just said to stay away from anyone with a suspicious rash.
    Congratulations and good luck

Thanks
    Reviews
    I too had low rubella immunity whilst pregnant with DD. Then I had a booster a few days after she was born... and guess what? 18mths later and I still have a low immunity. Some people dont hold their rubella immunity and thats why you need to immunize society to help out the women (when pregnant and have no immunity) and young children.

to be honest - I think you'll be fine.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BlissedOut View Post
    It's so important to get bloods done before TTC.

Sorry OP, no advice, can you find out how prevalent Rubella is in Thailand?

Bangkok is in Thailand.
    Lol I thought OP wrote hong kong not Bangkok. Oops