+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    IMO the best bread is no bread! But I'm pretty extreme. I look at bread as unnecessary.. Though I do admit to buying it just so I can make sandwiches for my son's lunch.
    Put it this way.. White bread is junk food, whole grain or wholemeal is slightly better.. It's what you put ON it that counts (healthy filling)

***Happy to be a Mummy & Daddy of ONE! :-) ***

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Happy2be3 View Post
    IMO the best bread is no bread! But I'm pretty extreme. I look at bread as unnecessary.. Though I do admit to buying it just so I can make sandwiches for my son's lunch. Put it this way.. White bread is junk food, whole grain or wholemeal is slightly better.. It's what you put ON it that counts (healthy filling) ***Happy to be a Mummy & Daddy of ONE! :-) ***
    That's interesting, how would you then explain traditional societies like the Hunza on the Pakistan/India border who eat quite a lot of grains in the form of chappati or the Georgia Russians who eat homemade bread from fresh milled grains and in both societies large numbers of them live to well over 100 without health issues like dementia or cancer.I agree that bread shouldn't be every day but to get a complete protein without meat you need to combine nuts and seeds with grains.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Ellesndsam - off topic - but have you read the most recent research that plant proteins are a complete source of protein? Apparently the idea they had to be combined with grains etc was incorrect?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    Ellesndsam - off topic - but have you read the most recent research that plant proteins are a complete source of protein? Apparently the idea they had to be combined with grains etc was incorrect?
    Got any links? Everything I've been reading about proteins has said that they are an incomplete protein and they need to be combined. In reality even if they are not an incomplete protein eating a variety of foods is best for a whole host of reasons.ETA - the only complete source of plant protein I'm seeing is soy, which because of its high levels of eostrgoen I wouldn't recommend to anyone anyway.
    Last edited by elleandsam; 26-04-2012 at 09:26.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    For us, bread made from rice flour. No rye in this house. No wheat or oats or barley either.

Thanks
    Reviews
    http://michaelbluejay.com/veg/protein.html

This is just was I was reading last week, my SIL has been to seminars on it so would have more info- soy is an interesting topic - I may start a new thread as I have my MIL who says its ok and my SIL who says its not!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by muso mama View Post
    We are at Enoggera.
    Yes of course... But our "bread" isn't the same is it.. Bread these days in our society is junk.. Unless you buy it from a specialty place. I fully agree that grains etc are completely necessary (I'm vegetarian btw).. I just don't have them in bread :-)

Buttoneska is offline Winner 2010- Most Community Minded Thread Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Elle&sam, i agree in theory about variety us essential but comparing to other civilisations is like comparing oranges and apples. Grains of those eras would be vastly different to produced breads of this day and age. Assuming current bread is organic and I still don't think its compareable. Milled grain lose something like 90% of all nutritional value after 30 days, so depending on how fresh flour is where bread is produced can greatly change things. Unless your grinding & producing weekly I don't see it as compareable. I don't know how the actusl grain would compare though, obviously gm non organic u couldnt but organic I wonder how nutritionally similar it would be to those grains of olden days. All the stats in vegies show they are nutrionslly much worse as other physically desireable traits have been bred into the food. I imagine grain would be similar?

For complete protein I don't know much about that, but those societies probably ate more bread and grain as protein from meat was mire scarse. Nit saying one is more right then other, but again I think its oranges and apples.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sorry OP I'm sure this isn't quite the in depth discussion you were counting on lol :-)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Buttoneska View Post
    Elle&sam, i agree in theory about variety us essential but comparing to other civilisations is like comparing oranges and apples. Grains of those eras would be vastly different to produced breads of this day and age. Assuming current bread is organic and I still don't think its compareable. Milled grain lose something like 90% of all nutritional value after 30 days, so depending on how fresh flour is where bread is produced can greatly change things. Unless your grinding & producing weekly I don't see it as compareable. I don't know how the actusl grain would compare though, obviously gm non organic u couldnt but organic I wonder how nutritionally similar it would be to those grains of olden days. All the stats in vegies show they are nutrionslly much worse as other physically desireable traits have been bred into the food. I imagine grain would be similar?For complete protein I don't know much about that, but those societies probably ate more bread and grain as protein from meat was mire scarse. Nit saying one is more right then other, but again I think its oranges and apples.
    But it's not a different time, there are people living in Georgia, Russia in 2012 who are over 100 years old. They are still of good health too. If they can do it, why not us? As for the freshness of the grains that is an important factor, we buy whole grains and mill them ourselves when we can. I just don't believe that grains are the evil that diets like paelo make them out to be.