+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 36
  1. #11
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    1234
    Posts
    2,821
    Thanks
    887
    Thanked
    583
    Reviews
    1
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    IMO the best bread is no bread! But I'm pretty extreme. I look at bread as unnecessary.. Though I do admit to buying it just so I can make sandwiches for my son's lunch.
    Put it this way.. White bread is junk food, whole grain or wholemeal is slightly better.. It's what you put ON it that counts (healthy filling)

    ***Happy to be a Mummy & Daddy of ONE! :-) ***

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Brisbane, QLD
    Posts
    12,994
    Thanks
    1,125
    Thanked
    1,962
    Reviews
    6
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Happy2be3 View Post
    IMO the best bread is no bread! But I'm pretty extreme. I look at bread as unnecessary.. Though I do admit to buying it just so I can make sandwiches for my son's lunch. Put it this way.. White bread is junk food, whole grain or wholemeal is slightly better.. It's what you put ON it that counts (healthy filling) ***Happy to be a Mummy & Daddy of ONE! :-) ***
    That's interesting, how would you then explain traditional societies like the Hunza on the Pakistan/India border who eat quite a lot of grains in the form of chappati or the Georgia Russians who eat homemade bread from fresh milled grains and in both societies large numbers of them live to well over 100 without health issues like dementia or cancer.I agree that bread shouldn't be every day but to get a complete protein without meat you need to combine nuts and seeds with grains.

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    10,301
    Thanks
    3,122
    Thanked
    6,312
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Ellesndsam - off topic - but have you read the most recent research that plant proteins are a complete source of protein? Apparently the idea they had to be combined with grains etc was incorrect?

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Brisbane, QLD
    Posts
    12,994
    Thanks
    1,125
    Thanked
    1,962
    Reviews
    6
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    Ellesndsam - off topic - but have you read the most recent research that plant proteins are a complete source of protein? Apparently the idea they had to be combined with grains etc was incorrect?
    Got any links? Everything I've been reading about proteins has said that they are an incomplete protein and they need to be combined. In reality even if they are not an incomplete protein eating a variety of foods is best for a whole host of reasons.ETA - the only complete source of plant protein I'm seeing is soy, which because of its high levels of eostrgoen I wouldn't recommend to anyone anyway.
    Last edited by elleandsam; 26-04-2012 at 09:26.

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    8,794
    Thanks
    3,395
    Thanked
    3,081
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    For us, bread made from rice flour. No rye in this house. No wheat or oats or barley either.

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    10,301
    Thanks
    3,122
    Thanked
    6,312
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    http://michaelbluejay.com/veg/protein.html

    This is just was I was reading last week, my SIL has been to seminars on it so would have more info- soy is an interesting topic - I may start a new thread as I have my MIL who says its ok and my SIL who says its not!

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    1234
    Posts
    2,821
    Thanks
    887
    Thanked
    583
    Reviews
    1
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by muso mama View Post
    We are at Enoggera.
    Yes of course... But our "bread" isn't the same is it.. Bread these days in our society is junk.. Unless you buy it from a specialty place. I fully agree that grains etc are completely necessary (I'm vegetarian btw).. I just don't have them in bread :-)

    ***Happy to be a Mummy & Daddy of ONE! :-) ***

  8. #18
    Buttoneska's Avatar
    Buttoneska is offline Winner 2010- Most Community Minded Thread Award
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    5,677
    Thanks
    2,066
    Thanked
    1,981
    Reviews
    3
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Elle&sam, i agree in theory about variety us essential but comparing to other civilisations is like comparing oranges and apples. Grains of those eras would be vastly different to produced breads of this day and age. Assuming current bread is organic and I still don't think its compareable. Milled grain lose something like 90% of all nutritional value after 30 days, so depending on how fresh flour is where bread is produced can greatly change things. Unless your grinding & producing weekly I don't see it as compareable. I don't know how the actusl grain would compare though, obviously gm non organic u couldnt but organic I wonder how nutritionally similar it would be to those grains of olden days. All the stats in vegies show they are nutrionslly much worse as other physically desireable traits have been bred into the food. I imagine grain would be similar?

    For complete protein I don't know much about that, but those societies probably ate more bread and grain as protein from meat was mire scarse. Nit saying one is more right then other, but again I think its oranges and apples.

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    1234
    Posts
    2,821
    Thanks
    887
    Thanked
    583
    Reviews
    1
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Sorry OP I'm sure this isn't quite the in depth discussion you were counting on lol :-)

    ***Happy to be a Mummy & Daddy of ONE! :-) ***

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Brisbane, QLD
    Posts
    12,994
    Thanks
    1,125
    Thanked
    1,962
    Reviews
    6
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Buttoneska View Post
    Elle&sam, i agree in theory about variety us essential but comparing to other civilisations is like comparing oranges and apples. Grains of those eras would be vastly different to produced breads of this day and age. Assuming current bread is organic and I still don't think its compareable. Milled grain lose something like 90% of all nutritional value after 30 days, so depending on how fresh flour is where bread is produced can greatly change things. Unless your grinding & producing weekly I don't see it as compareable. I don't know how the actusl grain would compare though, obviously gm non organic u couldnt but organic I wonder how nutritionally similar it would be to those grains of olden days. All the stats in vegies show they are nutrionslly much worse as other physically desireable traits have been bred into the food. I imagine grain would be similar?For complete protein I don't know much about that, but those societies probably ate more bread and grain as protein from meat was mire scarse. Nit saying one is more right then other, but again I think its oranges and apples.
    But it's not a different time, there are people living in Georgia, Russia in 2012 who are over 100 years old. They are still of good health too. If they can do it, why not us? As for the freshness of the grains that is an important factor, we buy whole grains and mill them ourselves when we can. I just don't believe that grains are the evil that diets like paelo make them out to be.


 

Similar Threads

  1. What is the best bread?
    By Dannielle in forum General Chat
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 24-08-2012, 21:05
  2. Making bread with no bread maker.
    By littlegreengeisha in forum General Chat
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 12-08-2012, 15:38
  3. Bread with Dinner
    By BlissedOut in forum General Chat
    Replies: 45
    Last Post: 15-02-2012, 15:52

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
free weekly newsletters | sign up now!
who are these people who write great posts? meet our hubbub authors!
Learn how you can contribute to the hubbub!

reviews
learn how you can become a reviewer!

competitions

forum - chatting now
christmas gift guidesee all Red Stocking
Fridge-To-Go Australasia
Xmas with a NEW Fridge-to-go Lunch Bag! Fridge-To-Go Australasia
Fridge-to-go 8 hour cooler bags are ideal under the Christmas tree! Now in modern lunch bag designs - fill them with toys and chocolate to make parents and kids happy! Stay super cool and eat healthy and fresh food all summer long!
sales & new stuffsee all
Pea Pods
Buy 2 Award Winning Pea Pods Reusable One Size Nappies for only $38 (in your choice of colours) and receive a FREE roll of Bamboo Liners. Don't miss out, we don't usually have discounts on the nappies, so grab this special offer!
Special Offer! Save $12
featured supporter
ProSwim
ProSwim runs learn to swim classes for babies, children and adults. Our indoor centre in Plympton Park has lessons all year round, including school holidays. We also offer outdoor programs during the summer months (Oct-Mar) at Rostrevor college.
gotcha
X

Pregnant for the first-time?

Not sure where to start? We can help!

Our Insider Programs for pregnancy first-timers will lead you step-by-step through the 14 Pregnancy Must Dos!