+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Bread: which is better?

Wholemeal or multigrain?

When I compare the nutritional tables on the packaging they are all very similar.

Why is white bread considered worse than the other varieties?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    White flour is refined, it has it's bran
    And germ ( where the nutrients are) stripped whereas wholemeal flour has the whole grain

My naturopath actually told me the best bread ( and in theory we should not eat bread every day ) is sourdough , it apparently has the best effect on your blood sugar levels , so we eat sourdough or spelt bread at home

Mod-pegasus is offline ADMINISTRATOR
    and all that the Lorax left here in this mess was a small pile of rocks with the one word...UNLESS
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Firstly - there is a huge difference between brands.

The two things I focus on are fibre content and preservatives.

Usually white bread has more preservatives in it. Multigrain usually has a higher fibre content than wholemeal, sometimes the wholemeal isn't really less processed - it has colour added.

My advice - look for your priority of what you want out of your bread and check the nutritional content printed on the pack.

FTR - I buy wholemeal or multigrain dependent upon which is the better price with the least preservatives, and higher fibre.

Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    White flour is refined, it has it's bran
    And germ ( where the nutrients are) stripped whereas wholemeal flour has the whole grain

My naturopath actually told me the best bread ( and in theory we should not eat bread every day ) is sourdough , it apparently has the best effect on your blood sugar levels , so we eat sourdough or spelt bread at home
    My naturopath said the same (rye sourdough), so that's what we eat.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Same here, rye or sourdough - or rye sourdough! And I think it's actually yummy too I can't even stomach white bread these days. It apparently has the same ingredients as clag glue and loiters in the bottom of your stomach

Buttoneska is offline Winner 2010- Most Community Minded Thread Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Yeh go for a wholegrain bread, one where the base is made from un unrefined grain. Wholemeal should be that but like pp said it can often be refined flour just colored.Try grains other then wheat like rye or spelt or even blends.Sourdough is healthiest as it contains no added yeast or sugars, its old fashioned bread that is made using the natural occurring yeast in fermented grain.We eat vital rye, its a multigrain rye sourdough.

Thanks
    Reviews
    White flours are refined which strips them of B group vitamins like niacin and thiamin, your body need B vitamins when turning glucose into energy.

White flours are higher GI or a simple carbohydrate, which means they are a sugar product and raise your blood sugar levels in a similar way to what eating a piece of cake would. Whole grain and whole meal varieties are a low GI or complex carbohydrate which means they give you a more sustained energy burn and they have non-glycaemic effects as they contain more dietary fibre.

White bread contains bleaches, extenders and dyes. Where possible organic sourdough is the best bread choice. If I can't get organic sourdough I go for wholemeal or whole grain that is organic or preservative free. Or I buy moutain bread. My kids adore wraps.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Thanks for your replies I'm slowly trying to improve what we eat!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Spelt bread is best!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by fionaalice View Post
    Spelt bread is best!
    Actually from a nutritional stance, eating a variety of grains is best. That means rotating between spelt, wheat, rye etc and not always eating bread.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to elleandsam For This Useful Post:

Happy2be3  (26-04-2012)