+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default A primary school question - zoning

Hi there... I don't have many friends with kids that are already at school, and our extended family are all overseas. Wondering if the bubhub community can clarify something for me. On the Vic govt website, it says that if a primary school is within your zoned area, then it must take your enrollment. My related questions:

1. Is this still the case if the school is at capacity already?
    2. Can you move to an area just before you are due to start school, and still get enrolled at a 'full' school who have processed most their enrollments already?

The problem we have is that we need to move to a bigger place, but in order to do that, we need to move to a different suburb. The area we want to move to has no childcare availability, and so.... we are stuck for the time being. My son doesn't start school until 2014, but just trying to understand how the system works so that I can try and work out when the best time to move will be.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    If you are in the catchment area for a school, they cannot refuse you.

No government school would be full. You could go and enrol tomorrow if you needed to.

bambino is offline Autistic Today, My Genius Tomorrow
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    The schools must take all enrollments in the zoned area first.
    However I do believe that they allow x amounts of spots for outside the area.
    But they must take locals first regardless of the capacity.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post

No government school would be full. You could go and enrol tomorrow if you needed to.
    I think this is correct. Both grade 6 classes at our school are up to 30 students (!) this year as the school must be obliged to take anyone who moves into the zone - even though in our case people are usually moving in so that their kids can get priority for the local high school. It is actually pretty frustrating as it places an enormous strain on the teachers and kids, and means the families are like temporary visitors, all for the sake of a high school places. (not that this is your situation OP, so sorry for the rant lol).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Primary and kindy in WA have capped class numbers and they do refuse entry to these levels. We have an option of two schools, and we will be constantly moving zones this year within the same town. Once they are enrolled im pretty sure thats it they can keep going to that school.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks very much for your replies.

A friend who has a child the same age as mine seemed to think that they could turn you away even if you are in the catchment area, which was contrary to what I have read.

30 kids in a class... that is a lot!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to JimJam For This Useful Post:

twotrunks  (26-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post

This. I'm a primary school teacher and this is definitely the case in nsw so I don't see why VIC would be different. As school numbers grow the school is entitled to extra teachers so there is never a risk of a school being full. Private schools on the other hand are a different story.

Zombie_eyes is offline Formerly Diamondeyes
    Winner 2012 - Biggest Computer Nerd
    Winner 2013/14 - Funniest Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    We moved to an area and enrolled after the enrollment date and all was fine, we were told they do estimate a certain ammount of late enrollments as late as the first 2 weeks of the next school year.

Something ive just learnt which sucks...

My sons school wont take out of zone siblings, so if i moved out of zone, my son could still attend but my second child who isnt old enough form school yet, wouldnt be able to be enrolled >_<

Thanks
    Reviews
    I know in qld high schools if there are more classes needed... They employ more teachers to satisfy the growing enrollment population

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks guys! I am feeling a lot better about our situation. Had visions of us being stuck in a 2-bed apartment with two kids forever! I can now relax, and know that we can move to the new area just before our son starts school to save moving him after he starts.