View Poll Results: Do you clean before good friends come to your home?

Voters
72. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

59 81.94%
  • No

7 9.72%
  • Other

6 8.33%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I always try to have floors vacuumed and mopped before visitors arrive, as well as the Powder Room toilet cleaned. I also do a pick up of toys and put them away. I get very stressed if I know people are coming and I'm not going to get time to do these things.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HollyGolightly View Post
    And I wouldn't/don't judge if I go to a nuns house and it's not spic n span
    Oops! A MUMS house even

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    No. I check that dd has left no nasties unflushed but that's it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Clean, yes. Tidy, maybe...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Yes because rarely is it otherwise presentable. lol.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    Yes I do - I try and curtail the chaos but if they judge me for my house, then they aren't my friend and they can bugger off.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to misskittyfantastico For This Useful Post:

HugsBunny  (25-04-2012),River Song  (25-04-2012),sunnyflower  (26-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Sure do! I hate people just dropping in unexpected in case I haven't cleaned properly. It has nothing to do with judgement from anyone or to anyone, I simply take pride in my clean house and don't like anyone seeing it messy.

A very close friend who looked after DD when I was in hospital having DS hadn't ever seen my house messy until I had him. After a c-section my housework slipped (obviously). She always joked that now my house looked like her house hehe.

I don't notice anyone else's messy/clean houses (unless filthy pig sty dirty like my MIL's place) clutter and mess is a part of life but I'm a neat freak who can't accept that!

Thanks
    Reviews
    i will do a 10min tidy if i know someone is coming. that'll be tidying a few things away, sweep the tiles, wipe down the coffee table and check the bathroom is alright.

otherwise the house is usually pretty clean so im never caught too off guard

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    i think declaring it is "easy" to keep the house clean is pretty unfair. It depends on so many things...how big the house is, how many kids, how old the kids are, personalities of said children, how busy the lifestyle, how helpful the DH (and...i will also say it was much easier when i was single lol), personality of the person.

I struggle to keep the house clean now but have made massive steps forward. Our house is way too big, before I moved in DH lived here alone and had a serious hoarding issue (think large 4 bedroom house with every room/wardrobe cupboard/under house storage area FULL), just making space for DS and I was a big deal. Before I lived here, it was DS and I in a nice 3 bedroom town house that was usually spotless at the end of each day.

Anyway, it has taken me years to whittle away at DHs stuff (and it is a traumatic thing for him and very emotional to throw things out) but I have him down to his office, his computer room and the under house storage area...and the rest of the house normally pretty good.

However, we now have DD...and while i was pregnant i was on bedrest for 5 months...and she is 18 months old, has health issues and has never slept through. So, add that to a large house...and a husband who still attempts to bring more crap into my house and an average 7 year old...my house quickly gets out of control. Add to that me doing Uni, doing the school run and usually exhausted.

Do i clean before friends/family come over...hell yes! I find it a great motivation and sometimes invite people over to make me get my **** together. Normally, i can have the house looking pretty good within 1-2 hours (with the clean clothes hidden in the bedroom lol) but that time is taken away from playing with DD and DS or sitting and having a break from my normal craziness.

SO, if you were a judgey type...we prob wouldn't be friends...cause when people come over, they come to see me...not judge me!

11. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to River Song For This Useful Post:

AllYouNeedIsLove  (26-04-2012),austmum  (26-04-2012),millie91  (26-04-2012),misskittyfantastico  (25-04-2012),MissMuppet  (26-04-2012)

Zombie_eyes is offline Formerly Diamondeyes
    Winner 2012 - Biggest Computer Nerd
    Winner 2013/14 - Funniest Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Yep. My house is a mess quite often, so i clean for the whoooolleee day prior.