Im in nsw,
I worked in 3-6 y/o pre-school and was responsible for their school rediness checks (age 5 roughly)
A large portion had to meet these or questions we're raised.
- can recognise own name correctly (eg - Naomi not NAOMI or naomi)
- can write own name correctly
- can follow instructions
- understanding concepts (biggest, smallest, in, over, under etc etc)
- refers to self in first person (eg - I want a drink, alot of children say ME instead of I)
- is able to repeat stories / events and anticipates things
- knows how to read a book (front to back, top to bottom, left to right)
- is able to draw basic people / animals and name them (mum, dad, buddy the dog etc)
- can count from 1-20, can recite alphabet and recognise letters a-z.
We also had basic requirements that were obvious must dos such as toilet use / wiping, hand washing, manipulate drink and food containers, dress and undress self (pants for toilet usage)
The hardest one was the book one, children who dont yet recognise that you 'read' a book by the words on the page dont get front to back, top to bottom, left to right. To them the letters hold no meaning
Sent from my MB526 using BubHub