+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ToughLove View Post
    Already gave the reason for that. Most leave all of the education to the teachers. A five year old is perfectly able to learn to spell, read and write their names; at the very least. Kids are not as stupid as we make them out to be.
    Start early, make education and learning fun, and any young kid can learn. Children born to multilingual families are often fluent in two or even three languages before they're six.
    So it's not hard to imagine an ordinary child of five learning to write their name.

Switch off the ipad and open a book, never know what potential you'll bring to the surface.
    Not to go off topic too much, but there is really no need to be so nasty and judgmental. Some of us are quite knowledgable in the field of child development and still choose
    Different learning experiences for our toddlers and pre schoolers. Doesn't mean we don't care, or think they are stupid, or put them in front of the iPad all day. It's great if you want to teach your child what you have and it suits them - please don't put others down for choosing differently for their own reasons.

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to twotrunks For This Useful Post:

Busy-Bee  (26-04-2012),Deedles85  (27-04-2012),Gruffalo  (26-04-2012),GuestMember  (26-04-2012),heeeeerekittykitty  (26-04-2012),majo  (26-04-2012),misskittyfantastico  (26-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    In regards to his speech delay- I would start introuducing letter sounds.

DS speech therapy did this with DS about this time before Kindergarten (NSW) and it worked wonders.
    We did a bingo system. I did up a whole lot of sheets with 3x3 squares with basic letters in them (no vowels- easy letters to start off with). and I use to read out basic words and he'd have to tick them off. We mostly did these in the car because we were/are time poor. For example, I'd write out T, B, C, F (some doubled up obviously) and than read out words like Tin, Bin, Can, Fun etc). Really helped as kids with speech delays often have reading issues.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SimplyMum For This Useful Post:

Happy2be3  (26-04-2012),Pipsicle  (26-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by ToughLove View Post
    What I considered basics {but this is by no means what you HAVE to do, only what I did} is:

* Can tie shoelaces
    * Can count to 100 and write the numbers
    * Can count by fives and tens.
    * Can add and subtract basic numbers { 2 + 2, 4-1, etc}
    * Can read and print own name in both upper and lower case
    * Can read, recite and print alphabet in upper and lower case.
    * Can read and write basic words like 'because', 'can', 'to', 'if', 'going', etc.
    * Can follow basic multiple directions like "Go get your bag, choose a book and sit at the table"
    * Can take self to toilet, unbutton/unzip pants, flush and wash hands without help
    * As well as random basic knowledge like where do eggs come from, the names of the planets, colour and shape names, things like that.

Of course don't expect too much, half of the kids in DD's class have to wear stickers with their names on it so they can match the name on themselves with the name on their desks, bags and books.
    Remember that most parents leave that pesky knowledge business to the teachers, so anything you teach on top of "nothing at all" gives a slight edge to their school years.
    Woah!! There is no way my DD did all that! How did you manage to teach her all that, I wouldn't have the patience lol!

OP: my dd could take herself to the toilet, take her shoes on and off (Velcro) and could write her name! That's it!! The teachers reckon she's doing great

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by twotrunks View Post
    Not to go off topic too much, but there is really no need to be so nasty and judgmental. Some of us are quite knowledgable in the field of child development and still choose
    Different learning experiences for our toddlers and pre schoolers. Doesn't mean we don't care, or think they are stupid, or put them in front of the iPad all day. It's great if you want to teach your child what you have and it suits them - please don't put others down for choosing differently for their own reasons.
    I agree. I'm a teacher and do not force my child to learn anything. If she's interested, by all means. Right now, she enjoys being carefree and running around at the park, and I am facilitating that.

No iPads in this house either, we do have a computer, but my daughter doesn't even know how to use the mouse. I wish she did, might give me 5 minutes peace

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would focus more on social skill stuff like sharing, turn taking, putting items away, manners, tying laces, zippers etc

Maybe also things like cutting an gluing, counting to ten, recognizing own name, some letters of alphabet... Relax by No Means is your child expected to know numbers to 100 or count in fives and tens.. That is year one stuff

8. The Following User Says Thank You to PinkIsTheNewBlack For This Useful Post:

babyla  (26-04-2012)

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    I should add that last year in pre-Kindy DS was top of the class at using scissors His speech delay meant he couldn't talk but he was a dab-hand at scissors (We have to cling onto these achievements!)

He's pretty good at the whole turn taking, sharing, putting stuff away. He can do zippers too but struggles to connect the two bits together. He loves craft - cutting out stuff, painting, sticking etc. I guess it's more concepts where I need some reassurance. He still doesn't get concepts like "yesterday" or a week/last week etc.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PinkIsTheNewBlack View Post
    I would focus more on social skill stuff like sharing, turn taking, putting items away, manners, tying laces, zippers etc

Maybe also things like cutting an gluing, counting to ten, recognizing own name, some letters of alphabet... Relax by No Means is your child expected to know numbers to 100 or count in fives and tens.. That is year one stuff
    This

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BerylsMum View Post
    Personally I think its all very basic.

How to recognise his written name.
    colours
    basic shape, number, letter...but if not its no biggie.

i find grouping is good...a farm animal, a jungle animal...

how to open lunch box and lunch packets/drink bottle.

follow more than one order..so go into your room and put your shoes on your bed.

the rest will all come with time..
    Yep I agree! Don't worry too much op, your child will be fine.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Coop doesnt get the concepts of time with this week,last week etc either so dont stress over it. One day it will click for him.

Sent from my GT-I9000T using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    From experience and talking to teachers, it's best to concentrate on mastering the basics - a good solid grounding in basics and confidence will carry your child far further in school than hot housing a child.

The basics like self care, blowing noses, washing hands well, basic dressing and undressing for toileting etc, being able to wipe their bottoms, how to open and shut lunch boxes and containers, the names of things like pencils and seats etc.

A child who is comfortable and confident with self care will generally translate into a child who is confident to learn.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to WorkingClassMum For This Useful Post:

twotrunks  (26-04-2012)