+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bada View Post
    Except my dd won't be 5 starting prep next year, she'll be 4. Even in Kindy this year they won't touch on some of the stuff you listed in your first post, and that is fine. It's not a matter of her teachers or I being slack, it's a different learning philosophy to yours. Different strokes for different folks and all that.
    I dont believe in pushing kids either. If they arent interested, they just arent interested or ready to learn a certain thing just yet.

This week we have spent about 2-3hrs on the letter A. He still doesnt get it. He will get it soon hopefully but for now i will keep trying with him and speak to his teacher about different ways to teach him the letters for recognition and sounds.

Sent from my GT-I9000T using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by littlegreengeisha View Post
    Hmmmm this doesnt sound like any prep kids I know..
    I could do all that when I started school. They pushed me up a year as I had nothing to gain from 'prep'.

I had an interest and aptitude for learning and was never pushed. I learnt through play and curiosity.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I couldn't help noticing you're in Brisbane... My DS goes to school next year also and he'll be one of the youngest kids there as he's a late June baby (his father won't agree to keeping him home an extra year).

Anyway... tied in with Brisbane (but they have them all over Australia) is the Mother Baby Hub at Strathpine and the Browns Plains Early Years Centre which are run by the Benevolent Society. If you possibly have the time they run this awesome playgroup called Shaping Brains- Foundations For Learning that are targeted for kids who are starting school the following year. Its run by an early childhood teacher and is funded by the Goldie Hawn Foundation so it doesn't cost anything to attend. If the location / time doesn't suit maybe they know of a similar program that is closer to you?

Some of the things my DS does in preprep this year include name recognition, writing skills (writing their own name ATM) taking care of their belongings (taking shoes off for outside play before lunch and putting them away in a pidgeon hole with their name on it then putting their own shoes & socks back on after rest time). One of his favourite activites is Listening Post which is a book that's recorded on CD- the teacher has 6 copies of the book & 6 sets of headphones- they put the headphones on and have to follow the story along in the book. Its probably an easy activity you could do at home? Helps with focus / concentration.

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Thanks for the responses. I think DS should be ok - I just want to double/tripple check - he's my little baby and he'll be off to school We've already held him back a year due to his speech delay but he's come a long way in the last few months he may even get bored in Prep.

He can
    - write his first and last name
    - recite the alphabet and recognise all letters (lower and upper case)
    - recognise a few basic words
    - dress himself
    - follow multiple instructions
    - get his lunch box out and put it away
    - be responsible for his belongings (as much as a 4 year old is responsible)
    - he can count to over 100 but he gets bored so I don't know how far he could actually count

He's also just started learning about the planets and solar system in Kindy. I don't think he's actually got a clue what it all means though.

He's been going to child care since he was a baby and the rooms have always provided learning opportunities each day for the kids.

Having said all that he still needs help wiping his bum but his arms are now long enough! So we're working on that. He always needs it done at the most inconvenient moment though.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    he sounds more than ready for prep

bellalika is offline I'm trying my hardest, please don't ask for more.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    In that case Bec, I wouldn't stress. Just work on the bum wiping thing. By law I can't help my preppies do that. As I have told a few parents, a skid mark every now and then may be expected.

In a disaster (poo explosion) situation we still need to call the parents and can't intervene but two integration aides have in the past in one situation where the parent couldn't get to school for over an hour. We weren't about to let the kid stay like that for that long, and we had parental consent.

bellalika is offline I'm trying my hardest, please don't ask for more.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm on my phone so I can't search for it, but look up the Early Years Framework for your state. They have a guide for what they want kids to know by the end of kindy, prep and 1/2. It is for kids aged 0 - 8.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Myztiks#1Fan View Post
    I dont believe in pushing kids either. If they arent interested, they just arent interested or ready to learn a certain thing just yet.

This week we have spent about 2-3hrs on the letter A. He still doesnt get it. He will get it soon hopefully but for now i will keep trying with him and speak to his teacher about different ways to teach him the letters for recognition and sounds.

He sounds a lot like DS1. DS1 is four, so would be starting prep next year (we'll be homeschooling) and is a smart little cookie but doesn't get the letters and their sounds at all yet. In his case it's largely due to lack of interest. He wants to play Lego, play with the dogs, explore, make up stories, play with his toys. I'm not pushing him, because I know he'll get it when the time is right. I'm just reading to him daily, drawing often and including words and letters in that and playing games that involve learning, so if it clicks, great, if not, he gets a game

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    He sounds heaps ready for prep. He will do well.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by ToughLove View Post
    What I considered basics {but this is by no means what you HAVE to do, only what I did} is:

* Can tie shoelaces
    * Can count to 100 and write the numbers
    * Can count by fives and tens.
    * Can add and subtract basic numbers { 2 + 2, 4-1, etc}
    * Can read and print own name in both upper and lower case
    * Can read, recite and print alphabet in upper and lower case.
    * Can read and write basic words like 'because', 'can', 'to', 'if', 'going', etc.
    * Can follow basic multiple directions like "Go get your bag, choose a book and sit at the table"
    * Can take self to toilet, unbutton/unzip pants, flush and wash hands without help
    * As well as random basic knowledge like where do eggs come from, the names of the planets, colour and shape names, things like that.

Of course don't expect too much, half of the kids in DD's class have to wear stickers with their names on it so they can match the name on themselves with the name on their desks, bags and books.
    Remember that most parents leave that pesky knowledge business to the teachers, so anything you teach on top of "nothing at all" gives a slight edge to their school years.
    Woah! Are we talking about a 4 year old turning 5 in the school year?? That's insanely intelligent child you have there! I've been told by my son's private school that he'll only be expected to know up to 20 and maybe know how to write his name etc and recite the alphabet.

***Happy to be a Mummy & Daddy of ONE! :-) ***