+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh this is great to know. I have been trying to get DS ready this year for prep and it seems that we are on our way. Yay.

We have gotten quite a few books that have basic hand writing, numbers and shapes to copy.

I can tell you that out of your Basic list ToughLove that he won't be able to do a good number of those.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by ToughLove View Post
    What I considered basics {but this is by no means what you HAVE to do, only what I did} is:

* Can tie shoelaces
    * Can count to 100 and write the numbers
    * Can count by fives and tens.
    * Can add and subtract basic numbers { 2 + 2, 4-1, etc}
    * Can read and print own name in both upper and lower case
    * Can read, recite and print alphabet in upper and lower case.
    * Can read and write basic words like 'because', 'can', 'to', 'if', 'going', etc.
    * Can follow basic multiple directions like "Go get your bag, choose a book and sit at the table"
    * Can take self to toilet, unbutton/unzip pants, flush and wash hands without help
    * As well as random basic knowledge like where do eggs come from, the names of the planets, colour and shape names, things like that.

Of course don't expect too much, half of the kids in DD's class have to wear stickers with their names on it so they can match the name on themselves with the name on their desks, bags and books.
    Remember that most parents leave that pesky knowledge business to the teachers, so anything you teach on top of "nothing at all" gives a slight edge to their school years.
    Holy cow!!!
    Is this a 4 year old? What a bright little cookie!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    One thing many preps have trouble with is understanding that if they were asked to get for example 5 marbles. They would go and count those 5 marbles, lay them out and count them again to confirm they have those 5. It doesnt click that they just counted 5 so they shouldnt have to recount them. Same if they had to add another 1 or 2 to the marble total, the recount that there is 6 or 7 marbles from the first one even though they originally know 5 was there if that makes sense.

That was an example that my sons prep teacher told me. She said 90% of the class currently dont understand but they should be able to grasp the concept by end of the year.

Send Empowering a PM. She read me the outline for prep with what they should know by end of the year.

Sent from my GT-I9000T using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I think if they can recognise letters and numbers, can count to maybe 10 or 20 and if they can spell or recognise their own name, that's probably good too.

Being able to dress themselves is useful as well - for toileting purposes, of course.

DD knew a lot more than this though, and it meant she was pretty bored in Prep (not because I pressured her to learn... she just had an interest in it before she started school so learnt that way). I think you shouldn't teach too much unless they specifically want to.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    We got a little showbag for DS at his orientation before he started prep... and it had some great things for him to work on over the holidays.

It had a little card in it that had a list of things to be able to do:

These are some of the things that will help me to get ready for PS:

I can read my name
    I can write my name
    I read at home
    I play games at home
    I can use scissors
    I can use a glue stick
    I can take turns
    I can pack up when I am finished
    I'm good at sharing
    I can take off my jumper and put it on
    I can take off my shoes and put them on (velcro is fine)
    I can open and close my drink bottle
    I can open and close my lunch box
    I can open and close food packages, and containers
    I can talk to my friends and teacher
    Remember they go to school to learn!!! And often if you spend too much time teaching them things, they often need to be 'unlearned' again if they teach a different way (I have several prep teacher friends who find this really hard- when kids have been taught to do something a certain way, ie. write everything in capitols, or write using the wrong script).... so I think going in with the philosophy that he is going to school to learn everything he needs is the best way to go!!!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to SalTheGal For This Useful Post:

just her chameleon  (25-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    What I considered basics {but this is by no means what you HAVE to do, only what I did} is:

* Can tie shoelaces
    * Can read and write basic words like 'because', 'can', 'to', 'if', 'going', etc.
    * Can follow basic multiple directions like "Go get your bag, choose a book and sit at the table"
    * Can take self to toilet, unbutton/unzip pants, flush and wash hands without help
    * As well as random basic knowledge like where do eggs come from, the names of the planets, colour and shape names, things like that.

Of course don't expect too much, half of the kids in DD's class have to wear stickers with their names on it so they can match the name on themselves with the name on their desks, bags and books.
    Remember that most parents leave that pesky knowledge business to the teachers, so anything you teach on top of "nothing at all" gives a slight edge to their school years.
    Hmmmm this doesnt sound like any prep kids I know..

Sent from my GT-I9000 using BubHub

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to littlegreengeisha For This Useful Post:

Gruffalo  (26-04-2012),twotrunks  (26-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

* Can tie shoelaces

Lmao I'm 31 this year and I haven't even got all that down pat

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bada For This Useful Post:

misskittyfantastico  (25-04-2012),MummyNanny  (25-04-2012)

ToughLove is offline Meaner than a junkyard dog
    Winner 2012 - Funniest Member
    Winner 2012 - Funniest Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by littlegreengeisha View Post

Already gave the reason for that. Most leave all of the education to the teachers. A five year old is perfectly able to learn to spell, read and write their names; at the very least. Kids are not as stupid as we make them out to be.
    Start early, make education and learning fun, and any young kid can learn. Children born to multilingual families are often fluent in two or even three languages before they're six.
    So it's not hard to imagine an ordinary child of five learning to write their name.

Switch off the ipad and open a book, never know what potential you'll bring to the surface.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by littlegreengeisha View Post

I don't know any either. I've done half a teaching degree and from my children's schooling I can say that much of that is taught in the first few compulsory primary years. JMO but if I ever met a prep kid that knew all that I'd probably faint lol

Thanks
    Reviews
    Already gave the reason for that. Most leave all of the education to the teachers. A five year old is perfectly able to learn to spell, read and write their names; at the very least. Kids are not as stupid as we make them out to be.
    Start early, make education and learning fun, and any young kid can learn. Children born to multilingual families are often fluent in two or even three languages before they're six.
    So it's not hard to imagine an ordinary child of five learning to write their name.

Switch off the ipad and open a book, never know what potential you'll bring to the surface.
    Except my dd won't be 5 starting prep next year, she'll be 4. Even in Kindy this year they won't touch on some of the stuff you listed in your first post, and that is fine. It's not a matter of her teachers or I being slack, it's a different learning philosophy to yours. Different strokes for different folks and all that.