+ Reply to Thread
    ~Marigold~ is offline You make me happy, when skies are grey
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Do I need to fast or not???

I'm having the gestational diabetes test done tomorrow. At my hospital appointmant on Monday the midwife said that I will not need to fast before hand.

I went and booked the test and asked the receptionist if I needed to fast before it and she said yes. Confused now

It's at 8:30am.. if doI have to fast, how long before hand do I have to start? Can I eat something later tonight? Can I have anything in the morning?
    I was also told that I'd need to wait there for 2 hours.. I know I have to drink that stuff and they take my blood again to see if I can tolerate it.. but do you have to sit there the whole 2 hours like she said? In the waiting room? Why can't I leave and come back?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    If you are having the glucose challenge test, you don't need to fast. If you are having the glucose tolerance test, you need to fast.

(that's what i was told and did... I ended up with GD)

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub

3. The Following User Says Thank You to CupidsVictim For This Useful Post:

~Marigold~  (26-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I did fast but I can't remember for how long. I also had to stay in the waiting room. The clinic was just round the corner from my house and really just wanted to go home and come back but they said I couldn't in case I had a reaction to the test. It was a very boring morning!!

Sent from my LT15i

5. The Following User Says Thank You to zzz For This Useful Post:

~Marigold~  (26-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Here's what I was told the other day:

the 1 hr wait test, DON'T FAST.
    the 2 hr wait test, DO FAST!

You can eat tonight, do not eat in the morning. They ask you to stay because its your body reacting to the glucose and you might faint or become sick and its best you stay where they can keep an eye on you. This is true for both tests.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Bubs'n'Roses For This Useful Post:

~Marigold~  (26-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sorry... Didn't read it all!!! If you have to wait for the 2 hours its the GTT and you should fast for 10 hours

ETA: the reason you can't leave is because it needs to be tested while you are absolutely rested. I suggest take a book

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub

9. The Following User Says Thank You to CupidsVictim For This Useful Post:

~Marigold~  (26-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thinking about it again I think I just fasted for the morning...

Sent from my LT15i

11. The Following User Says Thank You to zzz For This Useful Post:

~Marigold~  (26-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi

I would fast as the blood test they do before you get the drink gives a really good indicator of how your body is processing sugar. You can have a snack before bed(no later than 10 pm) I was told not to eat too much sugar the night before so no big slice of choc cake for me.
    They tell you to stay seated for two reasons, the first is in case you are sick or "take a funny turn" and faint. Secondly any exercise even walking will affect the test results. It's frustrating I know but take a book and done music and enjoy some quiet time.
    Pack a banana to take straight after the last blood test and some water to have after. U should not drink for the duration of the test. Plz check at the pathology lab to check I'm correct.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Carpe diem 2013 For This Useful Post:

CupidsVictim  (25-04-2012),~Marigold~  (26-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ive been doing the 2hr one...
    I have to make sure I have carbs 3days beforehand (easy, I need carbs in every meal otherwise I starve).
    Just don't eat anything from 9pm and don't eat anything in the morning. Easy
    If its just the tolerance one where you don't need to stay the 2hrs, you don't need to worry about the carbs. But still don't eat till the appointment. It's really early anyway, go for a nice breakfast afterwards :P

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Ahpez For This Useful Post:

~Marigold~  (26-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had to do both and fasted for the both of them because I was told up on the pathology form. I know for the 2 hour test you have to stay there the full 2 hours in the waiting room. They take your test before the drink, an hour after and at the end of the two hours. If you feel like you're going to vomit try hold it in because they tell you to leave. Also remember to book in your test, the glucose tolerance test is one that needs to be booked in, I tried to walk in off the street and got turned away and had to book in for the following day.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Snugglemuffin For This Useful Post:

~Marigold~  (26-04-2012)

~Marigold~ is offline You make me happy, when skies are grey
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks, makes sense now! Will be bringing along my laptop and bub hub the morning away

I wasn't told anything about having carbs in the days leading up to this test.. just went in on Monday for my monthly hospital check up and was told I needed to have the GD done in the next 2 weeks and she didn't say anything about not having anything sweet the night before and actually said that I don't have to fast. But I wont be eating in the morning, I'm thinking she was wrong!
    I had like four lines of chocolate earlier tonight (it was Cadbury mint, you know you would ) so hope it doesn't affect it..