+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Vasectomy vs tubes tied

Hubby has volunteered to have his tubes tied.. We have two kids and one on the way. My obstetrician said that if I wanted, I could have my tubes tied after having my cesarean in July.
    I'm not sure what to do because I'm worried that one day I may want another baby down the track..
    My question is, is it easier to have a reversal for the woman or for the man?

TIA

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    If you have ANY doubts, don't do either - look into other options because neither are "easily" reversed.

I had my tubes tied during my c-section because having another child would be extremely dangerous for both myself and the child. I also didn't want DH to be limited iykwim? I could die and he could re partner and they might want more kids.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Subscribing. .. I want hubby to get a vasectomy, he can't see why it shouldn't be me who gets their tubes tied.. hmmmm, very interested in others views...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Don't do it if you have any doubts at all...watever way to decide to go can be done down the track when you are 100% sure.

DH had a vasectomy. Neither of us want anymore kids regardless of if we split up or one of us dies but there were less health risks for the vasectomy. I wasn't offering to get my tubes tied anyway...my mum suffered from more than one side effect of post tubal ligation syndrome and I have never been prepared to take that risk.

Thanks
    Reviews
    He is adamant that he doesn't want anymore- not with me and not with anyone else ( if we ever break up that is ) and because of this, I think it should be him that has the procedure done. I just always assumed that it would be easier for the guy to have the reversal but wasn't sure.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    It's an easier procedure for a guy to have a reversal, since it's a less invasive surgery.
    I don't know about success rates though....even though they can theoretically be reversed, there's no guarantee that a reversal will be successful.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think defiently a better choice for the male to get the vasectomy because they can be easily reversed my DP was previously married and he had a vasectomy for 10years before we got it reversed then i got pregnant in the first month!! I have heard it's not as easy for a female tho, seing as he is the one that doesn't want more kids i think he shuold be the one to get the vasectomy

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    If in doubt do not do it.

Hubby had a vasectomy a fortnight ago because it was what we both wanted, we're more then happy with our two and couldn't imagine having another. It was a day surgery for DH. Went in that morning, half an hour under, came home. Was up and walking that afternoon. Went to work the next day. Getting my tubes tied was going to be major surgery with weeks spent recovering and a few nights in hospital.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Areca View Post
    Don't do it if you have any doubts at all...watever way to decide to go can be done down the track when you are 100% sure.

DH had a vasectomy. Neither of us want anymore kids regardless of if we split up or one of us dies but there were less health risks for the vasectomy. I wasn't offering to get my tubes tied anyway...my mum suffered from more than one side effect of post tubal ligation syndrome and I have never been prepared to take that risk.
    I could have written this post ^.

After I have this baby, DH is going to have a Vasectomy mainly because it is less invasive and has less side effects than if I were to have my tubes tied. Also, my Mum had complications resulting from her tubal ligation and I'm not wanting to risk that either. I also feel that I have done 'my part' in having the pregnancies, births and breastfeeding and this will be DH's contribution.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-Uniquey For This Useful Post:

Areca  (26-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Getting my tubes tied was going to be major surgery with weeks spent recovering and a few nights in hospital.
    Just to clarify here, I do believe that having tubes tied is a lot harder than a vasectomy but it's not major surgery. It's keyhole surgery that takes about 45 mins, it's day surgery so you go home within a few hours and really it takes a few days to recover so not all that dramatic really but still a bloke going and getting his done is a lot easier in my opinion.

I say if HE is the one dead set against having anymore kids then HE should be the one to take his fertility in his own hands.