+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Anyone familiar with jury duty?

My Dh has received a letter for jury duty. He works away 12 days at a time and the date of jury duty is partway into his rostered time on. Therefore his employer will have to fly him back partway through his stint then out again after jury duty which will be costly. Does his employer have to pay him while he is on jury duty?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    He should be able to request to be excused from jury duty for this reason. My husband and I have been called up many times each and have had to be excused a few times for various reasons.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have been excused twice from jury duty from my employer (I'm a principal) all e needs to do is get a letter signed from his employer and he should be able to get out of it

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sorry I'm a teacher not a principal haha

Mod-biscotti is offline Administrator Administrator
    Winner 2012 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PinkIsTheNewBlack View Post
    Sorry I'm a teacher not a principal haha
    Lol

I'm a teacher too and I have always been excused.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    It seems to have changed in recent months apparently. It says on the back that.. You can only defer your duty once! If you defer it due to a reason specified you need to nominate another date within 6mths and you cannot defer it again. The reason for deferring it closest to what my Dh can use is due to financial hardship. So does that mean me wouldn't get paid from his employer? I'm confused because also in the letter it states your employer can claim back the loss.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    It differs from state to state. In Vic you get paid a minimal wage and your employer has to pay the difference

There should be a web page for your state that answers most of the common questions.

http://www.dotag.wa.gov.au/C/called_...3447-3799-1045

I deferred JD as I was 6 months pregnant at the time and self employed, then the next time I was cancelled the day before - so I'm back in the pool.

ETA and to correct a mistake
    Last edited by WorkingClassMum; 25-04-2012 at 21:12. Reason: Correcting a mistake

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've had jury duty before and i got paid for jury duty (its wasnt much) and my employer paid the difference as if i had worked that day.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was excused twice due to mental health (agoraphobia etc etc) I'd say ask his boss, and if he won't help pay or can pay hubby while he's gone, get his boss to contact them or write a letter as to why, I'm sure there would be a way around it some how - especially if it involves having to fly back!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using BubHub