+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Anyone else feel left out re slings/carriers/wraps?

When dd was born I had a variety of different things to attach her to me and leave hands free. None of them were accepted, so I learnt to do things with one hand and started making sandwiches while she was asleep to grab at lunch time without having to prepare it.

It feels like to be a "true" AP, a sling, wrap, carrier of some sort is a requirement. Even on fb, I tried to join a couple and they talk more about co-sleeper devices and things to carry a baby in other than arms, and less about actual babies, or just plain carrying or sleeping with baby. Also, it seems like a "real" AP-er needs to not only breastfeed, but have particular wristbands and breastfeeding pillows and other devices. I just stuck the baby on where we were, with her in my arms, and put her on whichever side felt fullest.

Anyone else feel left out of conversations because of not using extras?

BTW I still do recommend slings and things to people to try them, but tell them if bub doesn't like it that's ok, not all of them do, and I spent hundreds before working that out.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to share a book For This Useful Post:

LoveLivesHere  (25-04-2012)

threechooks is offline If my spelling annoys you that's your problem.... I have better things to do than proofread !
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I think AP is having a baby 'in arms.' Sling totally not important. JMO. It seems AP is becoming a bit of a 'fashion' and it is an expensive one too. AP is all about the bonding, mother and baby. All these devices are ridiculous !
    Last edited by threechooks; 25-04-2012 at 12:10.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to threechooks For This Useful Post:

Lillynix  (25-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    sometimes the true meaning of AP gets lost amongst the accessories, sadly, like lots of really good things.

AP to me is about responding to your baby as/when/how is best for them.

Having a designer "whatever" does not make you an AP ...it's what is in your heart.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to River Song For This Useful Post:

Happy2be3  (25-04-2012),Lillynix  (25-04-2012),MilkiCuddles  (25-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    To me it is about being responsive. If someone has a baby who wants to get down and explore, it's about responding to that need and providing a safe place for that to happen, not holding a baby who doesn't want to be held.

I was just wondering if anyone else felt left out of AP threads or conversations, even whole groups because it revolves around devices more than anything?

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to share a book For This Useful Post:

ilovehats  (26-04-2012),Lillynix  (25-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    To me it is about being responsive. If someone has a baby who wants to get down and explore, it's about responding to that need and providing a safe place for that to happen, not holding a baby who doesn't want to be held.

I was just wondering if anyone else felt left out of AP threads or conversations, even whole groups because it revolves around devices more than anything?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I hear yah!

My DD hates her Ergo infant insert so I am currently constantly holding her. I'm not sure if I want to spend even more money on a sling... which she may also end up hating.

Also, she sleeps with me in the bed. No fancy co sleeping devices here!

Sent from my HTC Desire using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Try not to get sucked in by the 'holier than thou' AP "experts" and just enjoy your baby, do what works for you both. It's not a cult, it's just a lifestyle theory!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to MsViking For This Useful Post:

TheCatsMeow  (27-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I don't use breastfeeding pillow or arm bands or own a co-sleeper bed and I consider myself an attachment parent.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My baby is a lot older now, but thanks. The other thing is, the only "AP" type groups are ABA meets/coffee mornings which exclude those who don't breastfeed or one that was around called Slings n Things for parents who use AP style parenting methods. Of course, it was just a big group for comparing the device the baby is carried in. my nephew loved his harness type one when he was younger, now at nearly 1 he wants to be up then down then up way too fast to be able to use a carrier.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Turning up to "Slings n Things" parent group which I was told was for attachment parents while carrying dd in my arms and pushing a pram was very much looked down on. Like "oh we would not even OWN a pram" to which I responded that dd refused any carriers or wraps so I use a pram to carry everything so I have at least 1 hand free, to which they rolled their eyes and responded with "this is what slings are for, to keep hands free" then one said it can take a while for bub to get used to it, some scream about it until then. So I left. Why force the issue? Why strap a baby on then listen to screaming until they are used to it? How is that even attachment parenting? Oh how I wish she liked the wrap around one, they look so sweet and it was very comfortable, but not worth tears.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to share a book For This Useful Post:

LoveLivesHere  (25-04-2012),sweetseven  (25-04-2012)