+ Reply to Thread

Default Maternity Leave Question

I have a new full time job.
    I'm 4 months pregnant.
    My employer knows i am pregnant and said they would be supportive but they would hope I will come back as soon as possible because they really need me.

How soon can a woman, after having a normal delivery, go back to work?
    is it 6 weeks or sooner?

Since I started this job while being pregnant I will not get maternity leave, is there any way I can go around this? Has anyone been in this situation?

I would like to take care of my baby for 8 weeks before having a babysitter but I don't think this is possible because its a new job..

Can I talk to my employer and make arrangements for a few months (for example work a few hours a day at the office and take the rest of my work home) maybe do this for a few months?

Anyone been in this situation? I LOVE this job, its basically my dream job and want to keep it so I am willing to go the extra mile and do whatever it takes to make this work. Its such a shame to be torn between becoming a mum and finally finding that job where you can picture yourself for a lifetime..

Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My understanding is that legally it is a minimum of 6 weeks after bub is born,
    If I were you though I would negotiate a later return with your employer, making clear to them how much you love the job and how commited you are blah blah and see if you can ease your way back in.

I am 7 months pregnant now and plan to take 6 months off ... I am thinking that won't be long enough!

Good luck

Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    After I had my son, I started doing a few hours here and there when he was a few weeks old.

In terms of maternity leave, you may be entitled to the government's 18 week paid parental leave if you meet certain eligibility requirements. Would your employer negotiate for you to have that long off? Are you feeling pressure from them to return quickly or yourself?

Keep in mind that no matter what sort of birth you have or whether you breast or bottle feed, your baby will wake in the night and you will be tired. This can last for many months, unless you get one of those amazing babies who sleeps through from 2 weeks! I know I, and probably many fellow hubbers, have gone to work with chronic lack of sleep but TBH it can be hard work.

It's hard to find a balance between having an amazing career and being a mum. I know I've struggled with the pull between both important roles and can't say that I've found the perfect harmony just yet.

Good luck with your decision and negotiating with your employer.

When I had DS I went back when he was 6/7 weeks (3ish days per week) and I had a csection. I think even if your not entitled to maternity leave(double check your entitlement to the governments paid parental leave) you employer legally has to negotiate your hour with you surrounding feeding etc.

It sound like your employer doesn't want to lose you so they should hopefully be open to negotiation.

Thankfully this time I have the ppl and my long service leave so I don have to go back till January, but due to the nature of my work place I will have to do the odd day here and there over the next 7 months

Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    It's a great start that your employer is willing to let you have some time off and then come back. Legally they don't need to keep your job for you and you would just have to resign if that was the case. Only you can know how much time off you need though....

It sounds like coming back part-time is an option though? Again this is great as your employer is not obliged to negotiate flexible hours with you unless you have 12 months service.

If you have previously worked then you may be entitled to government PPL but you would lose this if you went back to work (but your partner could claim it if eligible).

I hope you and your employer can work something out as it sounds like you really love your job!