+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Buttoneska is offline Winner 2010- Most Community Minded Thread Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Peoniesarepretty. Delayed cord clamping is leaving the placenta attached to baby for up to a couple of hrs or until cord stops pulsating. If left attached the contents of the cord are absorbed into the baby body. I don't know scientific research/benefits but if have a look you should find them, I do believe they have done some documented studies.The belief is though that the cord is full of amazing cells, nutritions , blood and other goodness that benefits bubs. It's like a natural vitality boost and some belief it enhances immunity and reduces likelyhood of future allergies and alike.Unfortunately its not std practice in most hospy so you need to make ur intentions clear early on.

Thanks
    Reviews
    What I understand about the benefits of delayed cord clamping is that prior to birth, the baby sends some of its blood into the placenta to make its body smaller and easier to get out. When the baby is born, the placenta pulsing is actually the placenta returning the baby's blood to it. It makes sense to me that if that blood was in the baby before birth, and it was just clever enough to store it somewhere else so its birth was easier, then the baby will be better off getting that blood back after birth. I'm happy to stand corrected but I'll definitely be doing delayed clamping.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Lulu56 View Post
    Wanted to, discovered the cost and couldn't afford it.
    ^ Same for us..

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hi Ladies

There is so much to know on the subject and once I started doing my research it became clear to me that its a no brainer. The cost is always the first issue and people stop doing their research when they find this out. A lot of Private Stem Cell Storage banks have payment plans so ask about this... it is expensive but we all have Austar/Fox, why wouldn't you cancel that for a year and rather pay for the storage of your baby's stem cells?

Just going off some comments mentioned above - these were my concern to and I did loads of research and found the following out:

1) There are currently over 70 diseases FDA approved using stem cells as the treatment
    2) There are nearly 200 stem cells trials in place - when these are approved there will hopefully be cures for Diabetes, Cerebral Palsy, blindness, deafness, burn treatment etc... the list is endless
    3) Stem cells frozen in a Private bank are owned by the child and their guardian/parents - there is no way the sample can be used by anyone other than the child or a family member
    4) Stem cells are frozen at -196 degrees and there is virtually no deterioration in the sample - after recent studies they are saying that these samples can be stored indefinitately.

Did you know that if you needed a stem cell transplant right now you would need to go to a public registry... your chance of finding a match is 1:100 000. This figure freaked me out a lot. With your childs own cells stored its an exact match and siblings are a 1-in-4 match! It also costs much less to use your own stored sample for treatment.

The websites I used for my research was:

Parents Guide to Cord Blood
    www.parentsguidecordblood.org

Cord Blood Registry
    http://www.cordblood.com/

Cryo-Save
    www.cryo-save.com

Cell Care Australia
    http://www.cellcareaustralia.com/default.aspx

Clinical Trials
    http://clinicaltrials.gov

Also, if you decide you cannot afford to store in a private bank you really should consider donating the cord blood and tissue to the Australian Public Bank. Its exactly the same as being a bone marrow donor - this way its non-invasive and your baby's stem cells could possibly save someone's life.

http://www.bubhub.com.au/directory/f...rd-blood-banks

5. The Following User Says Thank You to LuvBug For This Useful Post:

Artful  (25-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    The upfront cost is what stopped us. Yes we have austar but we don't pay $2000 upfront for it plus an ongoing fee forever..

In a perfect world we would be able to afford it but it worked out that we would need to pay $2300 within 2 weeks of having bub plus we live regionally so would have to pay extra to have it collected by someone from the agency, and then the monthly storage fee..

Thanks
    Reviews
    Apologies '2girls1boyplus1' and 'Lulu56', my comment was not meant to come across the way it did. Please let me explain how I should have in my previous post.

The point I was trying to make (and this is from personal experience) is that there are people who can afford it but not willing to give up all the luxuries they enjoy. I know many people who literally **** money against a wall - eat out a lot, buy expensive bottles of wine, go away on a few holidays a year but decided not to do this because of the cost. I had a friend who spent over $3 000 on the nursary but then didn't even consider the stem cell storage because of the price - her words were 'I just cannot afford to do it'! She then went onto buying the most expensive pram avialable. If you ask me her priorities were all wrong and that was the direction of my comment.

Please accept my sincere apology ladies, I was only trying to make a point that its something important to look into and if you are able to give up luxuries to make it work then its something to consider.

This is a subject very close to my heart for personal reasons and I am passionate about it - if its something you cannot afford I was not trying to make you out as a bad parent.

Please don't be mad with me

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LuvBug For This Useful Post:

2girls1boyplus1  (26-04-2012),Lulu56  (26-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi. I have 2 children, married and I'm 26. In ever though about it though to see 2 of my girlfriend with their children who have leukemia and a brain tumor I am defiantly thinking about it for our next bub. If anything like that ever happened you would be kicking yourself you didn't do it.

We are so lucky to live in a world with all this extraordinary science so why not grab it with both hands. If my child ever had cancer $3000.00 is nothing compared

Kate

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by LuvBug View Post
    Hi Ladies

There is so much to know on the subject and once I started doing my research it became clear to me that its a no brainer. The cost is always the first issue and people stop doing their research when they find this out. A lot of Private Stem Cell Storage banks have payment plans so ask about this... it is expensive but we all have Austar/Fox, why wouldn't you cancel that for a year and rather pay for the storage of your baby's stem cells?

Just going off some comments mentioned above - these were my concern to and I did loads of research and found the following out:

1) There are currently over 70 diseases FDA approved using stem cells as the treatment
    2) There are nearly 200 stem cells trials in place - when these are approved there will hopefully be cures for Diabetes, Cerebral Palsy, blindness, deafness, burn treatment etc... the list is endless
    3) Stem cells frozen in a Private bank are owned by the child and their guardian/parents - there is no way the sample can be used by anyone other than the child or a family member
    4) Stem cells are frozen at -196 degrees and there is virtually no deterioration in the sample - after recent studies they are saying that these samples can be stored indefinitately.

Did you know that if you needed a stem cell transplant right now you would need to go to a public registry... your chance of finding a match is 1:100 000. This figure freaked me out a lot. With your childs own cells stored its an exact match and siblings are a 1-in-4 match! It also costs much less to use your own stored sample for treatment.

The websites I used for my research was:

Parents Guide to Cord Blood
    www.parentsguidecordblood.org

Cord Blood Registry
    http://www.cordblood.com/

Cryo-Save
    www.cryo-save.com

Cell Care Australia
    http://www.cellcareaustralia.com/default.aspx

Clinical Trials
    http://clinicaltrials.gov

Also, if you decide you cannot afford to store in a private bank you really should consider donating the cord blood and tissue to the Australian Public Bank. Its exactly the same as being a bone marrow donor - this way its non-invasive and your baby's stem cells could possibly save someone's life.

http://www.bubhub.com.au/directory/f...rd-blood-banks
    Sorry but #3 on your list is incorrect. Cryosite offer it. They are the only ones who do.

Also Lulu, it's the same as having insurance on your car, house, contents etc. Personally Id sell everything I owned for insurance on my child. And I'm not being judgy, simply saying my opinion.
    Last edited by bebehvala; 26-04-2012 at 00:46.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Lulu56 View Post
    Umm... I think you need to do a little more research and not from the same place where you picked this information up. I don't mean this in a nasty way.
    Actually that was quite nasty. I said that I was happy to stand corrected but I note that you didn't bother to either correct me or direct me anywhere.

However, from the ten minutes I've spent lying in bed Googling - clearly the apex of medical research - I seem to be partially wrong. I can't see anything at first glance that says there is a deliberate transfer of blood from the baby to the placenta in preparation for birth. But ... it is clear that the placenta and the baby share circulation of blood and that blood remaining in the placenta post-delivery is transferred to the baby via cord pulsations. It's called placental transfusion. The Medical Dictionary defines it as "return to an infant after birth, through the intact umbilical cord, of the blood contained in the placenta".

My details may have been wrong but the principle is correct. Some of the baby's blood is still in the placenta post-birth and cord pulsations returns it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks all for your valuable input, much appreciated.

LuvBug - Thanks for the websites. Will definitely have a read. Would you mind letting me know who you went with?

Fionaalice - Congratulations on your pregnancy! That must have been a lovely surprise.

Peoniesarepretty - That's the kind of situation I don't want to be in. Really hope bub won't need it but if she does & I haven't stored it, I'd be kicking myself in the guts!

Buttoneska & kw123 - Thanks for the info on cord clamping. Didn't know about that. So glad we can all share valuable info on these forums!