+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    We use basmati rice in our house. We eat rice a good 3 nights a week.

I quite like brown rice but DH doesn't, so I don't bother having it in our pantry (DH is the one who generally cooks our meals that have rice with them).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I like brown, my partner likes white. I do like white coconut rice with my takeway thai though.

I have been looking for black though. Is it only in the health food store, as none at supermarket.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I like both, depends what we're having.

But actually basmati rice is the lowest in GI & carbs, not brown rice. Jasmine & arborio are the worst.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to peoniesarepretty For This Useful Post:

The Fox  (25-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I use those sun rice brown rice cups!! They are awesome!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I like both but prefer brown rice yum

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ana Gram View Post
    I love brown rice but have been looking into black rice. Tried one recipe but failed dismally But it is lower in carbs that any of the others (my dad's has diabetes)
    Quote Originally Posted by brownsugar View Post
    Red rice which has the same nutritional value of brown rice
    Quote Originally Posted by HollyGolightly View Post
    Black rice? Red rice? I had no idea there are other colours than white and brown!
    Ditto! Never head of re and black. Glad I made this post. Will have to check out our Woolies today.

Can you believe I have never made a Risotto before??? I was brought up in Europe and Asian meals weren't as popular there as the Middle Eastern. Even those I hardly ate.
    We always used to eat brown rice at home, but mum would just cook it dry and it was yuck. I use absorption which makes it much more fluffier and yummier.

I have used Jasmine a few times, but can't taste the difference between that and plain white rice. Probably because I mix sauce through it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Ana Gram View Post
    I love brown rice but have been looking into black rice. Tried one recipe but failed dismally But it is lower in carbs that any of the others (my dad's has diabetes)
    I've used the black rice in a recipe a long time ago and remember it being nice but I think I remember reading somewhere that it isn't technically a rice?

It was quite long grains I remember and they swelled up and kind of burst open the outer casing? But they were kind of like a reed rather than a grain.. Or am I thinking of something else?

ETA I just googled and think I may have had unmilled black rice (which is in fact a rice after all so don't know what made me think otherwise) which could explain the outer casing?
    Last edited by 2girls1boyplus1; 25-04-2012 at 09:47.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Misschief View Post
    Ditto! Never head of re and black. Glad I made this post. Will have to check out our Woolies today.
    U wont find red rice at woollies. It's at the Asian gourmet shops... The bigger ones I guess..

I've never made risotto either... :/

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I love wild rice.

Otherwise, I tend to choose brown these days. More flavour, better texture.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have never tried brown rice, I might buy some next week though because it actually looks quite tasty. We only ever have Basmati made in the rice cooker, it is always perfect!