+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My first (and only) big kid bike came from big w, never had an issue with it.

Sent from my MB526 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    We bought our kids bikes from the bike stores...the ones we have are really light, about half the weight of the ones in Big W/K-Mart etc. so they were much easier for my kids to learn how to ride and they can also wheel them across roads themselves, lift them up and down gutters etc. When we were looking to buy DD1 her first bike the ones in Big W/K-Mart weighed the same as what she did! It cost us around $250 I think but it still looks brand new and she's had it for close to 3 years and won't need another bike for at least another year.

I got a bike for my birthday last year, just bought one from K-Mart. It is a piece of sh!t. Honestly it is useless and needs so many repairs (that my DH fixes), the front gears don't work properly, the back gears miss all the time, it's slow (I ride for exercise and going downhill I run out of traction to get the bike moving faster), the back brake started squeaking and now the peddles clunk. I'll be upgrading to a better bike as soon as we have our own house and can lock it up somewhere.

I wouldn't get a cruiser bike if you are planning on getting serious with using it for exercise either...cruiser bikes are very comfy but they're designed for that, cruising. They're much more of a city bike than anything else and if you hit a hill then you can't stand up to help you get up the hill. They're very nice bikes I agree, but a bit impractical unless you just plan on cruising around flat paths all the time.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I would go bike shop most definately. We had one from kmart(same you can buy at big w etc) and it was crap for coop. He has a proper bike store bought one but isnt interested in it so have left it for now but the bike will last him years unlike the cheap one.

Sent from my GT-I9000T using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    My dad bought my son a target bike, and it's cheap and nasty. The bell fell off, and no doubt it will suffer some unfortunate fate when he actually rides it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    DD's first bike was from a bike shop. It looks as good now as it did when we bought it.

Her second bike was from Big W. It was fine for what she needed, but was heavy and hard going up hills.

She is now almost 7 and received her current bike at Christmas. It is from a bike shop, it has a lighter alloy frame and is geared. Well worth the $. She'll get a few years from it.

I was happy enough to get a bike for myself from Big W/Kmart until I had a ride on one and compared it to the ones from the bike shop. I ended up not getting the "base" type bike at the bike shop and paid the extra $ and got an alloy framed one which is lighter and fabulous.

I think the bike shop way is definitely the way to go.