+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Bikes - big w etc good or bad quality?

DS1 is four and has never been particularly into bikes, or rather, wasn't very interested in his trike when he fit it (or his scooter), so we hadn't gotten him a bigger bike. But we're now thinking it would be good for him to learn how to ride and a good way to keep fit.

DH and I also plan to start riding again. DH has a bike, I'm getting one.

I was thinking of just getting myself and DS1 bikes from BigW or the like, but DH wants us to go to a bike shop and get "proper" bikes. I'm not sure it's worth it considering we'll be paying double the price and I'm not sure how much difference there'll be - or how much DS1 will use it for that matter (though I suppose DS2 will eventually if he doesn't).

Where did you get your bikes? Or your kids bikes? What was the quality like? If you paid more was it worth it?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I bought one from a bike shop for my house and a big w one for my mum's house. I paid $109 for the one here (she was 7 at the time) and $50-something for the big w one. I bought both over a year ago. The bike shop one needed a tyre pumped once (we have a pump) while the one from big w has been in for repairs 4 times so far, each time costing $20.

Thanks
    Reviews
    we get them from the bike shop.

I just like the safety aspect more. They also fix things for us for free!
    Ongoing advice, support and warranty have been our friends!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I'd go bike store

Thanks
    Reviews
    Okay, I'm sold Don't like the idea of the darn thing breaking anymore than it has to.

I want a funky cruiser bike though and am a wee bit distressed that it will cost me so much money Why do I want to get fit again?????

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ds1's dad just got him a bike for his 4th birthday. It cost $250 from a bike shop and comes with a warranty. It is a very sturdy bike. Has lever brake and back-peddle brakes. All "proper" bike components - same as on adult bikes. We looked at bikes at toys r us but they were much more flimsy.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Ours were $99 from big w and fine so far!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Bike store all the way. My hubby used to race BMX and he will only ever buy quality bikes from bike stores for our kids. It's not only about them being flimsy but also the quality eg frames that won't rust as quick.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I know a guy who works in a bike shop, and he says they get cheap bikes from kmart/big w come in all the time. There are a lot of parts that the bike shops simply can't get for them - the manufacturers don't make spares - meaning often they can't be repaired without parts being custom made. They can get very expensive.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Wow I didn't realize so many of u would not get bikes from a bike shop. Food for thought.... I wouldda just bought a cheapie and thought it was fine... Thanx