+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Birthing experiences from Sunshine Coast Private

What where your birthing experiences like at Sunny Coast private since Selengor closed? Was the maternity ward really crowded? I heard they have a leave early incentive, that if you leave before day 3 you get a visit from a midwife and a $100 coles/myer voucher... But they don't make you leave do they? Like at Nambour last week my friend was told to go home 2 days after her c/sector :-(

Thanks
    Reviews
    I hope you don't mind me responding, but I work at The Sunshine Coast Private Hospital and helped develop the early discharge option. We wanted to have an alternative to staying in hospital for those mums who want to go home sooner but still have support getting to know their gorgeous baby. It's great that we now have a choice for postnatal care. We are also very close to finishing the new maternity unit which we are very excited about. I hope all goes well and you have a great experience.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I just had my second baby at Suncoast Private. Our first was at Selangor.
    This birth was a beautiful water birth - low lighting, baby led birth. Our midwife was excellent, the OBs discreet and when we needed help - the emergency care for me excellent. I was back with my family within hours. I also think the support I received to establish breastfeeding was excellent.
    I had been nervous initially too but I think the new maternity unit is a treasure - if we ever had a third there is no other hospital and OB/midwife team I'd consider.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Birthing experiences from Sunshine Coast Private

I'd like to bump this up, I'm planning on giving birth at the sunshine coast private. What are your experiences with the new maternity unit?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi, I gave birth last July which was just after the new ward opened. While I didn't make it to the hospital in time to give birth (accidentally had him at home), I did go into the birthing suite to get checked out afterwards and they looked lovely. The rooms are fantastic, loads of space and you cannot hear any ward noise at all - I didn't hear another baby the whole time I was there. Birthing suites were another story, I could clearly hear another woman labouring in the next room which may be a little distracting. Midwives were mostly good. Food was good for hospital food. They did have an early discharge program, but it was definitely not promoted or pushed. I chose to leave after 48hrs and they did advise me that a midwife would come to see me, but it wasn't until she arrived that there was any mention of the $100 voucher so you aren't pushed out the door. I had my first at selangor and this was much nicer (I obviously had a loads easier birth which helped). I'm sure you'll find it great. Let me know if there are any specific questions you have and all the best for the arrival of your little one.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Beachmum For This Useful Post:

alexis243  (25-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    What is the 'Early Discharge Program'? Being my first child I have no idea really the questions to ask haha. I did read on their website that you can tour the hospital, I guess that would be a good idea too.
    Do you know how accomodating they are of partners? Are they goverened by visiting hours or not? Sorry if these questions are silly!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi there,

I had my baby there last July- just after they had opened there new ward. It was very good I believe. I found i could hear mumbles from the other birth suits- so i guess it depends on how loud the other women are. the ward was excellent- i think it was full the days i was there but i would never had known.

I couldn't heard any ward noise or other babies, i found the staff excellent in terms of helping with breastfeeding. I had quite a lot of trouble with the breast feeding so i rang the help bell every time and someone always came to assist.

The food was good, i would even say great for hospital food. Plenty of it and you could choose from a menu. There were excellent with my husband. During the labour they made sure he was feed and well supported as well. During our ward stay he stayed the whole time. They have double beds in every room. Nobody mad him feel uncomfortable or in the way.

Visiting hours are 3pm-8pm i think, except for husbands and siblings who can visit in the morning i believe. I was told about the early discharge options- however since i had to have an emergency c-section it wasn't really an option and i needed the breastfeeding help and enjoyed having our meals brought to us.

I haven't heard any bad stories amongst my group of friends- except the standard point of 'getting so many different midwives, who all have different views or ways of helping you breastfeed which can be annoying if you are having problems' but i think that can happen anywhere.

Good luck-Hope it all goes smoothly for you

Thanks
    Reviews
    And, yes, I'd recommend doing the tour just so you feel familiar with the surroundings or I hear the anti natal classes are good (I didn't do them as it was my second). The other thing I remembered, the selection of clothes for bub wasn't great for us. Bub was on the bigger side (3.9kg) and we could only find one suit to fit. I'd suggest taking along a few of your own things just in case. I have a friend who said the same thing...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Does anyone have feedback on the OBs at sunny coast private?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by EliseS View Post
    Does anyone have feedback on the OBs at sunny coast private?
    I highly recommend dr James Orford.
    We had a very rough and worrying pregnancy, James was very calming and informative at each appointment and always went the extra mile for us

12. The Following User Says Thank You to alexis243 For This Useful Post:

EliseS  (10-02-2014)