+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Question Bleeding in early pregnancy - scared!

Hi,

I'm after some advice if anyone has been through the same thing as I'm going through now.

My EDD according to my LMP is 16th December. Today I had some minor bleeding (scared the absolute you-know-what's out of me). I did not experience any bleeding in my first pregnancy (my son is now 8 years old).

I went in for an ultrasound today after seeing my GP & according to the ultrasound I am only 4w6d. (instead of 6w2d)
    Thankfully there is a 'black spot' on the US in the right spot, so the worry of miscarriage has slghtly eased.

I'm really confused now. Not just because of the bleeding (does this happen a lot??) but am wondering if the EDD is so different, how could my original pregnancy urine test show up positive on the day of my missed period 2 and a half weeks ago? That would mean that I was only 2 weeks pregnant and the HCG levels wouldn't be high enough to register....CONFUSED!!

Sorry for rambling & I hope that makes sense.

Thanks
    Reviews
    *hugs* it's horrible isn't it? I spotted at 8 weeks and again at 12 weeks and all worked out fine. Have you been sick or doing anything physical? With me (both times) the Dr said it may have been due to vomiting. Apparently with violent retching you can cause things to move and tear a little....

I remember a lot of people telling me that it happened to them too, I think it's quite common. It doesn't help when you're scared out of your mind though, I know. Try not to get too worried and try to rest as much as you can. I'm sure things will turn out fine

3. The Following User Says Thank You to eviezmum For This Useful Post:

mell84  (24-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi mell84

I also had some bleeding at 5 weeks, (second pregnancy) and was told that it was to early for an ultrasound to show anything. Instead I had a blood test to check hormone levels and then another blood test 2 days later to make sure levels were increasing, which they were. Had another small bleed at 9 weeks then again at 19 weeks and again last week at 26 weeks!! Each time bubs has been fine and there has been no explanation for the bleeding. So don't assume worst case scenario at the sight of blood.

As for your EDD confusion I can't help you there sorry but you can always request a blood test to check your HCG and see if your levels are what they should be.

Goodluck

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Doc For This Useful Post:

mell84  (24-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank-you

I've been very ill for the last few weeks. I had no idea that could also cause bleeding.

Time to try not to stress..

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank-you, you've put my mind at ease a little more

I had a blood test today & am having another on Thursday, so hopefully the HCG levels will still be increasing.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had bleeds at 6, 8 and 12 weeks and the little bean is still here at 30 weeks... I know it's hard to do, but try and keep positive as it doesn't always mean a miscarriage. Thinking of you

9. The Following User Says Thank You to caribbean For This Useful Post:

mell84  (24-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    hi Mell84

I had spotting ranging from light to moderate from 5 -10 weeks. My husband and I rushed to the emergency room because my panties were stained with blood (sorry if TMI) expecting to be told I had miscarried.

I did receive an ultrasound at 5 weeks and thank god we were able to see a heart beat at 99 bpm. The relief was overwhelming. What did show up was a sub-chronic haematoma, which i believe is a bit like a blood blister that happens when the egg implants. Whats happened was I lifted some heavy bags of ice and it popped for lack of a better work. It leaked slowly over 5 odd weeks.

I got to the stage I was so anxious I felt sick everytime I went to the toilet - so I just brought heaps of black panties and wore only these so I could not tell one way or another. I decided what will be will be and I now have a healthy 5 month old baby boy

I am not quite sure if any of this helps you but it helped when i found out other people had the same thing....good luck to you

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Meld85 For This Useful Post:

mell84  (25-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi there,

pregnancy use to be a 38 week cycle where as now they have changed it to 40 weeks due to the fact that the extra 2 weeks is going from your last period in wich you are not technically pregnant at that stage. So you are going from your last date of period and the baby was conceived 2 weeks after that when you ovulated, so that is why they are seeing the baby 4weeks instead of 6 weeks.

2ndly the bleeding can mean anything. I had bleeding with my daughter and it turned out it was implantation though I was pregnant it Jan and had bleeding and it turned out to be ectopic and had to have my left tube removed. Then in March I was pregnant again and had bleeding and it turned out I was having a miscarriage.. So to sum up the dates I think you are going from last period instead of the 2 weeks after when it would have been you ovulated. Bleeding can mean anything. I think if it is more thna spotting or persists longer than 2 days to get it checked out..

Good Luck
    Kate

13. The Following User Says Thank You to katezane For This Useful Post:

mell84  (25-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Unfortunately we have miscarried

I've never felt so profoundly sad and empty

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am so sorry to hear that mel84, it is such a horrible feeling. Let yourself grieve properly so you can heal mentally as well as physcially and try again. Huge hugs