+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My son had a nuchal thickness of 3.9 and with my blood tests I had a 1:20 chance of Downs. I know it's scary to think there may be something, anything, not perfect about your unborn baby. From here, you need to get the rest of the test results, and then perhaps choose an amnio if it matters to you to find out. I had the amnio and the results were fine. My son didn't have DS. All you can do is take one step at a time until you find out and decide from there. You might be worried for nothing yet.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by jaesmummy View Post
    My son had a nuchal thickness of 3.9 and with my blood tests I had a 1:20 chance of Downs. I know it's scary to think there may be something, anything, not perfect about your unborn baby. From here, you need to get the rest of the test results, and then perhaps choose an amnio if it matters to you to find out. I had the amnio and the results were fine. My son didn't have DS. All you can do is take one step at a time until you find out and decide from there. You might be worried for nothing yet.
    This too 3.9, except I had the cvs as I had to know sooner rather than later... I gave birth to healthy baby boy! Deep breaths it may be nothing at all.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi. This is my first post on BubHub, and I was prompted to join because of your post. I apologise that it is lengthy.

I am currently in a similar situation, but my bub's nuchal fold is 9.2mm. I don't know much about what is going on, but I thought I would share what I do know.

When they do the NT scan they take a number of things into account, the fold is one, but it is also your bloods, your age, nasal bone, and I am sure a heap of other things. This then spits out your risk. Our risk was 1:7 for DS, 1:6 for 18 and 1:2 for 13. We had CVS done straight away and asked for the fast turnaround results (FISH), and amazingly the results came back normal.

Now with "normal" chromosomes we have been told that a thick nuchal fold "may" be an indicator of other conditions typically associated with the heart. To balance this bad news, is the hope that at 14wks the baby's lymphatic system will kick in, drain the fold and we will be back on track with a risk of problems no higher than if it had a normal fold to begin with. We will have a 15wk scan (next week) to see what has changed and to check the heart.

I guess what I am trying to say is that as hard as it is, try not to get too focused on all the "ifs and mays" and all the percentages, go see your ob and keep focused on the potential positives until you are told something definite.

Lastly, my Dad always said that a person rarely makes a wrong decision. They make the best decision for them with the information they have at hand. How that decision is viewed by others, and even in hindsight, may be different, but you can only work with the knowledge you have at the time.

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to billymum For This Useful Post:

Grubs  (29-04-2012),LillyPonds  (26-04-2012),louP  (27-04-2012),MissMuppet  (26-04-2012),Therippleeffect  (27-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Lastly, my Dad always said that a person rarely makes a wrong decision. They make the best decision for them with the information they have at hand. How that decision is viewed by others, and even in hindsight, may be different, but you can only work with the knowledge you have at the time.[/QUOTE]

That is why it is always good to make sure you have all the updated information you can get and not outdated stuff that has been proven to be so wrong before any decision is made

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Bronnie72 For This Useful Post:

Fox in Sox  (27-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi mummymags

Sorry to hear you are feeling so overwhelmed! It really is a scary time and it is not fair you have to wait for your doctor! I just wanted to let you know my sis in law had a measurement of 4mm but fine bloods and her boy is now a perfectly healthy 8 year old! There is no number that makes it a definite and the best thing you can do is remember that right now it's just an IF, and like the other ladies said gather info about downs so that IF the time comes you can make a decision that is right for you and your family.
    I am currently waiting to have an amnio as I'm 1-19 but mostly due to my Papp-a being very low .17 and HCG .06 when both should be 1. I just have reassured myself that 1-19 is 5% so 95% chance all is good. Call me a naive optimist but those are odds I can deal with and I don't want to spend the next 3 weeks as a nervous wreck!
    To the ladies with Downs children - it is so beautiful to hear how you speak of them and how it has positively affected your families. I have an uncle with downs so know a fair bit about them also and i guess there would be much more support and information available than back in my grandparents day! I hope that I andmummymags dont have to make a 'decision' but it's solely up to the individual and should not be judged.

Good luck!