+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Nuchal Scan Shows 3.5mm.. Soo upset :-(

I am completely out of my comfort zone right now. I have know idea what is in store. Has anyone ever had a high result. I can't get into my obgyn for a week because she is away. I'm freaking out right now and my heart is breaking.
    What happens next?
    :-(

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sorry. Did you get this result in conjunction with the blood results? I think they take both results into account? You probably already know that the only sure way of knowing is through an amnio? Did the technician give your these details?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I can't get the blood results till next week which is when the obgyn is back. The only thing I'm concerned about is that we already have to younger children and I don't think I'd want to put any child especially this baby through any of this. If I held off the do the amniocentesis there'd be no turning back. I'm soo upset and confused. I don't know what to do. This is heartbreaking :-(

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My scan place had my blood results as well so they gave me all results together. Can someone else help at your ob? You shouldn't have to wait

Thanks
    Reviews
    I know it's terrible and now it's a public holiday tomorrow :-(

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    You can still wait till after the amnio, if you're thinking of a termination you can do it till 22w, the only thing is that after 14 you have to actually deliver. You also have the option of a CVS, which is done earlier than an amnio.

Hope it all turns out alright for you

Sent from my HTC Desire using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Big hugs to you

With DD the nuchal fold was 3.09mm and I was given a 1:32 risk for Downs Syndrome. We decided to wait for the amnio rather than do the CVS and all was totally fine

It is completely worrying and and not knowing for me was the worst. I kept playing all the different scenarios in my mind over and over, I was so torn what to do.

I am sorry they are making you wait to get the blood results as well. Everything could be totally fine.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Did they give you any indication as to other things they look for on the scan to indicate Down Syndrome.. Was there a nasal bone, was the femur bone in the leg much shorter than expected..
    Take comfort knowing that your baby is healthy and growing well.. That in itself is a blessing.
    If you must wait for a week to see your OBG, go and get some knowledge now on DS so you are better equipped to make your decision.. If it turns out your baby does not have it, you are better off still from learning new things about DS.. I don't recommend googling everything as this will just panic you more than you are now.. Contact your local DS Association and ask them to put you in contact with a family near you that you can talk to.. I am happy to talk to you as well if you want.
    If you haven't gathered by now, I have a nearly two year old who in fact has Down Syndrome.. We had a fold of 3.4 and were given a chance of 1:39. We did have the amnio but only because my OBG was concerned about something else on the scan.. I also have a 3 year old as well at home and two older sons. It is obviously feeling like the end of the world to you right now, but believe me its not It can be the beginning of something truly beautiful if you let it.
    Definitely find out information though whilst you wait from ppl who live with DS in their lives everyday. The unknown will always be your worst enemy and biggest fear.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bronnie72 For This Useful Post:

kalgirl  (26-04-2012),Miss Salty  (26-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    The only thing I'm concerned about is that we already have to younger children and I don't think I'd want to put any child especially this baby through any of this.
    Hi,

I'm sorry to hear how stressful things are for you at the moment. I hope this doesn't offend, but I did want to ask, when you say "put any child through this", what exactly do you mean? Down syndrome is really not an awful affliction, and I know my 2yo, and other people I know with Ds are not being "put through" anything.

I am not intending to make you feel bad by posting this; my reason for doing so is only that I want to give you a balanced view of what being a parent to a child with Ds is like. I also have other children, and I truly believe that they have only benefited from having a sister with Ds.

Since having my daughter, I have heard some very sad stories of women who've chosen to terminate when receiving a Ds diagnosis, and only later, after finding out a bit about what it's actually like to parent a child with Ds, have really, really regretted that choice. I think that's so sad that such a major decision has been made with so little research.

I apologise if this was not the kind of reply you were hoping for in posting this thread, but like Bronnie72, I only want to give any in formation and support that I can. Please feel free to PM me if you'd like.

I wish you the best for your pregnancy, good luck with your results

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Fox in Sox For This Useful Post:

Bellaxo  (25-04-2012),brooke88(mum2b09)  (27-04-2012),Miss Salty  (26-04-2012),Zombie_eyes  (25-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    As the other ladies have said, the place that did your Nuchal Scan can't get a propper result without the blood test, they go hand in hand. The bloods and the neck fold and other questions that they ask are then put into a speical Nuchal Scan data base and the numbers crunched and your results are then given.

The thickness of the fold doesn't JUST mean it may be downs, which would actually be a blessing compaired to the other sydroms that it may mean, as they are always fatal. Edwards and Tri 13 also have a thick neck fold.
    Last edited by Grubs; 25-04-2012 at 18:37.