+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Hong kong by yourself with baby & 4 year old - would you?

I have an Australian friend living over in Hong Kong who I've been wanting to visit for a while.

The only way we could afford it at the moment is if I go with the kids and don't take DH. He'd be fine with that as his work is taking the office on a ski trip to NZ in a few months.

Obviously I'd prefer to have him there but it would be years away as we're taking a family holiday next year then planning to start TTC #3 as soon as we return.

If I went it would be for about 5 nights - not a long trip.

Pros
    - I'd get to see my beautiful friend and travel, which I love
    - I could base the majority of sightseeing around child friendly things
    - though we wouldn't be staying with my friend she could be a guide and help out with potentially difficult things like navigating the airport with two young kids.
    - after spending most of my pregnancy with DS2 on bedrest I would love to get out!!
    - DS2 is fairly easygoing as long as he's being held the majority of the time so I could wear him for the most part

Cons
    - DS1 can be very spirited at times (other times very chilled out and helpful) so if it was one of those weeks the potential for chaos is high
    - I'm not sure how easy it would be navigating hong kong by myself with two kids.
    - we have food allergies and DS1 can be fussy so eating out would be difficult.
    - Practically it would make more sense to save money rather than spend it at the moment as our recent couch purchase came out of my savings. DH would be happy to put money towards me going but the majority would come out of savings.
    - my mother, who panics when I so much as attempt woolies with two kids, would likely freak out and make my life stressful before I go

Thoughts?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Honestly - no. We travel overseas a fair bit with our kids and they are older than yours - and there is no way I could manage on my own through the airports with kids and bags and passports etc. I probably could if it was life and death - but it wouldnt be my first choice. Your friend would only be able to help once you have cleared customs etc. That means you lugging two kids and baggage alone. Even the logistics of a nappy change on the plane with two kids would be a PITA.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I suspected that... Think i was secretly hoping for cries of "do it! It'll be easy!" but you're probably right!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I've not long come back from there with DD (nearly 2) and DH.

In answer to your question, yes. I would do it.

Hong Kong is a great destination, and I don't think you would have any problem with food. We actually found it harder to find Cantonese restaurants than Western ones! (Unless you count the street stalls, which we didn't visit). There are so many Italian restaurants, steak places, general cafes, Starbucks, etc.

The only difficulty that you might find is that it's very hilly - so it depends on whether you still have DS in a stroller at all? We had DD in a stroller, which was okay, but we had to carry her up and down stairs sometimes on the MTR (subway), which could be difficult if it was just you there. Not such a problem if your friend was there though.

There are lots of escalators everywhere, so that helps!

People are very friendly, and love children. DD got so much attention all the time, and she had a ball! She even started pre-empting it, and announcing "Hello!" to everyone we passed.

There are some great things for kids there, with Disneyland and Ocean Park, and DD also loved walking around the markets.

The plane might be a handful with two, but with your DS being 4 I would think that it was manageable. We met a lady on the plane who was taking 2 around that age, and doing a good job of it.

I think that as long as you can be relaxed about it, and not mind slowing things down/ being flexible if needed, then you could have a great time!

I'd do it...!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi! I went to honkers in September with my brother. It was my birthday present!!!! Sadly i didnt get to go with DH or DD though so can't comment on that but.....It's actually quite a modern city and would be ok for kids I think. The airports and trains and other infrastructure is very well organized and surprisingly clean. I say go for it!!! the sights and smells would be great for your kids to experience and would surely broaden their life experience. If you can honestly afford it I say go and don't have any fear or regrets
    The flight from here, perth, was only 8 hours so it's manageable with kids esp if they will have a sleep on board. Book flight times that co incide with their sleep time of possible. Good luck whatever you decide

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    would you have to take both? could you just take your youngest??

Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I wouldn't hesitate (my DS is spirited too!)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I'll be flying from the UK to Australia later this year with a 14 month old and 2 year old ...... by myself

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hahaha no way! I won't even go down the coast with my two on my own lol!

You won't know unless you try though! It could be great!

tiggerfields is offline Priestess of Kult K'iesha... Mooo!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    HK is easy, I go there all the time on business. You won't have any trouble navigating, eating etc. Taxis are cheap and the airport trains is amazingly efficient.

If you can manage a 9-hour day with two kids you can manage a 9-hour plane ride. There are plenty of kiddie movies, games and tv shows on the entertainment systems to keep them occupied. Maybe consider flying overnight so they will be mostly asleep. There's a Cathay flight that leaves at 10pm and arrives at 5am (which is 7am Oz time) which might work well for you.

I second the idea of just taking the baby, it'd be a cinch then.