+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I think it's the airlines problem to deal with - and good luck to them because it's a tricky one.

But if he was the only obese person on the plane that didn't fit in his seat then surely the airlines can accommodate this with minimum fuss! If it was half the passengers, well that's a much bigger problem.

As for the man's rudeness, well I'm sure everybody there was more embarrassed by his behaviour rather than the large man's.
    Last edited by Ellewood; 24-04-2012 at 19:44.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by felicita View Post
    Air travel isn't suitable for everyone. Perhaps rather than making everybody pay for more of a seat (as suggested by a few PP), airlines should implement rules similar to those for wheelchairs. Only 2 obese people permitted per flight.
    And tall people should be restricted cos they block the view to the tv, and short people too, because they take too damn long to put their bags in the overhead locker. Only 6 short people per flight!

Sorry not having a go at your post, just think you can't restrict people in this way as it's discriminatory. The airlines need seats that accommodate all people.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Barefooted View Post
    I am a size 26 because of my Bust & Height. I have no trouble with cinema seats. my Husband and Bestie are both of similar size

Again Everything i have discussed tells me I won't have trouble. Besides it's not like an extra seat will actually do anything for me. The arms are still there.
    Then you should be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Izzys Mummy View Post
    Do pregnant women pay more if the have trouble fitting in their seat? When UTD my butt and thighs get their own postcode and whilst I fit in the seat (not virgin but jetstar and qantas) I know my DH is not comfortable next to me.

Just curious as to what other ppl think? Or parents that fly with their kids on their laps that don't sit still very well?
    I think that if you cannot keep within the boundaries of your own seat, then yes, you should pay for another seat, no matter what the reason is. Be it due to obesity, pregnancy, needing medical equipment beside you, whatever.

Kids are a different thread altogether! I think that if you are travelling domestically on a short (under 2 hours) flight with a small baby that you can comfortably nurse on your lap for the duration of your flight and you both fit within the limits of your seat, then only paying for one seat is fine. If your baby or child is old enough to move around, jump around, squirm and launch themselves at their seat-mate...then you should also be made to pay for a separate seat.

On longer flights (over 2 hours) then IMO, you should be made to pay for 2 seats. Airline seats are just too small to house a parent and child without encroaching on your seat-mates and airlines do reduce the price of the fare for children.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    That poor man!! How disgusting, to yell and belittle the man so as the whole plane could hear. He was probably already embarrassed that the seats are sooo blooming small he couldn't fit properly then to be treated like scum by some jerk off!!

How rude.

Opinionated is offline Winner 2009 - Best Avatar
    You know you love me.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I think people that don't fit into the seat should have to pay for two. Sorry if that description fits you. I weighed 54kg on my last flight, but I had to pay for excess baggage for a few kg in my bags. Is that fair when there is passengers 50kg heavier than I am? After all, it is weight that increases fuel usage and that is why they charge for excess. Unfortunately life isn't fair. I also don't want to ever have to sit next to someone that has to have the armrest up because they don't fit in their seat. I paid for my whole seat and I want to use it. I appreciate that a large person is embarrassed about their size and uncomfortable, but that is not my problem. Why should I be inconvenienced or uncomfortable?

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Opinionated For This Useful Post:

All smiles  (25-04-2012),Blessedwith3boys  (24-04-2012),Lovemyfam  (25-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Just wanted to point out that not all obese people will have issues fitting in a seat... I was technically "morbidly obese," when I had my WLS, and I have travelled even fatter than that and still fit in my seat. So saying, "only two obese people per flight," is stupid and solves nothing anyway.

Girls in my WLS group were saying at 130kg they were okay to fit in seats and unless you're in the guiness world records for height, then chances are you'll be obese at that weight. Still, they could fit fine (I hope this info helps you too Barefooted!).

Why should a skinny person be uncomfortable due to a fat person? They shouldn't. Nor should a fat person be told they are such a burden on society that they either stay at home or become rich enough to pay for TWO tickets. Not a big deal on a Sydney to Melbourne flight... massive deal from Sydney to London though.

We all pay for others issues anyway - some taxes are spent towards medical treatment for people who are pretty much responsible for their own health issues (such as smoking-caused lung cancer, liver disease for alcoholics, mental health care for those with mental health problems, maternity care for women who get knocked up, etc). I find all of these absolutely acceptable, and am glad that we have a system that offers medical help for others... which is effectively paid for by the general public and the tax money they help to raise.

Same system sounds fair in regards to flights IMO. Increase everyone's flight by $20 and it could easily cover a few larger seats to cater to people who are very large and require better seating, pregnant women who require additional space, elderly who cannot properly move into cramped little seats, women with small children on their laps, etc.

Most people who are so obese they cannot fit into seats will be aware of this... and would probably jump at the chance to use one. People I've spoken to before said they'd even be willing to pay for this luxury... I just don't think it should be that way.

Sure, you might say, "oh, but i want a bigger seat... it's unfair I don't get a bigger seat just because I'm a size 8." Well, you also get a few extra cm either side of your body in your seat, and now so will those larger people. You'll also not be at risk of getting stuck beside someone who does not properly fit into their own seat. Win-win really.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Opinionated View Post
    I think people that don't fit into the seat should have to pay for two. Sorry if that description fits you. I weighed 54kg on my last flight, but I had to pay for excess baggage for a few kg in my bags. Is that fair when there is passengers 50kg heavier than I am? After all, it is weight that increases fuel usage and that is why they charge for excess. Unfortunately life isn't fair. I also don't want to ever have to sit next to someone that has to have the armrest up because they don't fit in their seat. I paid for my whole seat and I want to use it. I appreciate that a large person is embarrassed about their size and uncomfortable, but that is not my problem. Why should I be inconvenienced or uncomfortable?
    I agree.

I would have quietly demanded either he or I be moved.

Thanks
    Reviews
    While i think most of us would all be a little more comfortable if seats were a little larger, there will always be those who still do not fit within their own seat. I think some 1.5 width seats should be available for obese, pregnant or physically impaired that require the space at their own expense, and if these are not available either buy two tickets or take a different flight if you cannot contain yourself to your own seat. I think obese people need to take responsibility for their own actions as most are obese from their own doing and i think it's unfair that others foot the bill.

Opinionated is offline Winner 2009 - Best Avatar
    You know you love me.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I agree mumma inky. There should be some extra width seats available for disabled/impaired people but I (and I know many will disagree) think these should only be available to obese people if not needed by those with special needs. If there is no extra width available overly obese who do not fit seats should just have to buy an extra ticket. Air travel, unlike health is not a right.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by waterlily View Post
    That poor man!! How disgusting, to yell and belittle the man so as the whole plane could hear. He was probably already embarrassed that the seats are sooo blooming small he couldn't fit properly then to be treated like scum by some jerk off!!

How rude.
    Yep so mean

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using BubHub