+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    That man was an @ss. There is no need at all to throw a tantrum or even complain within the larger man's earshot. What a prick.

That said, it is unfair to pay for an airline seat that is already small enough and then lost half of it to a person who is unable to keep themselves within the limits of their seat. I flew Sydney to Brisbane and sat next to a lovely lady who was extremely obese. She had to ask for an extension seatbelt and the arm rest could not go down between hers and my seat. It was so embarrassing for her, I'm sure. I pretended like nothing was wrong and just started to chat with her and act normal etc..but in actual fact, it was hell. I was on the window and was literally shoved up against the side of the plane. She was actually sitting on me. The plane was full though and I felt too bad for her to say anything to anyone..there was no way I could have anyway, without saying it in front of her and I wasn't about to do that. It was only an hour flight so I put up with it.

If I was on a long haul flight, I would have had to say something. I have no idea what they can do when the plane is full though.

I might be shot to pieces for this but I DO think that if you don't fit within your assigned seat..you need to pay for a second seat. As embarrassing and unfair as that seems...I still think it should be the rule. Regardless of cost, if you are obese and want to fly..well you need to pay for it. Just like as I have a chronic medical condition and want to travel, I have to pay an enormous amount for travel insurance. It's not my fault I have this illness and it might not be fair just as it may not be the fault of the obese person that they are bigger and while it's not fair..that's life.

That is the only solution I can come up with. The airlines are not going to change the size of their seats. It would be nice if they charged the second seat at a reduced price though, given that the person won't be eating 2 lots of meals etc.

But yes, they should have to pay.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to RainbowSky For This Useful Post:

All smiles  (24-04-2012),Maybelline  (24-04-2012),Opinionated  (24-04-2012),Pawzette  (24-04-2012),Zanzibar  (24-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Given that ppl seem to be getting bigger, and air travel is the norm now, I do think that airlines should make the back few rows of the plane 'obese seating' where the fare is 1.5 times a standard economy fare, with 1.5 seats. Most obese ppl wouldn't need a whole second seat, so it would work better.

Sent from my GT540 using BubHub

4. The Following User Says Thank You to mrsdj1234 For This Useful Post:

Blessedwith3boys  (24-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperGranny View Post
    Some planes do have larger seats where the escape door is over the wings. If that option is available, the check in counter should allocate those seats to the larger people. I have also seen this option available for a slightly higher price if you are making the booking online. I have travelled with a larger person, and he needed the extra belt that the airlines have for mums with small children. I feel very sad for the person who must have been so embarassed, the bully could do with some lessons in compassion. Marie.

They cannot give these seats to larger people as htose seats are for able bodied people that incase of an emergency they are able to assist passengers out the door and to get the doors open.

As for the original question I hate to say it that I DO think if they are going to take up more than one seat on a FULL plane that you should pay for it. I ahve travelled 3 times from Australia to America and there is NOTHING worse than sittling like that for 13 hours on PACKED full flight.. and not many of those flights have spare seats.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Pawzette For This Useful Post:

Blessedwith3boys  (24-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by mrsdj1234 View Post
    Given that ppl seem to be getting bigger, and air travel is the norm now, I do think that airlines should make the back few rows of the plane 'obese seating' where the fare is 1.5 times a standard economy fare, with 1.5 seats. Most obese ppl wouldn't need a whole second seat, so it would work better.

Sent from my GT540 using BubHub
    Putting me at the back of the plane...so reminiscent of being forced to the back of the bus for being African American or Aboriginal.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by louellyn View Post
    Putting me at the back of the plane...so reminiscent of being forced to the back of the bus for being African American or Aboriginal.
    not sure if that is the same?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Maybelline View Post
    not sure if that is the same?
    Allocating a special section for obese people at the back of a plane. It was not a huge leap to come up with the comparison.

I posted a long thread above about this topic and I agree about extra charges - it is the back of the plane that I have taken issue with.

Opinionated is offline Winner 2009 - Best Avatar
    You know you love me.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I feel sorry for large passengers, but I also feel sorry for small ones who have to suffer because of them. I was on a smallish plane sitting in a window seat, where there was 2 seats. A very large lady was allocated the seat next to mine and she had to put the armrest up to sit down. I could not get out of my seat for the duration of the flight because she was so large and she took up half of my seat. Neither of us could put our tray tables down. I should have complained, it was an awful flight. As it was, I was glad I didn't, she ended up going to the same tiny destination I was going to on a connecting flight and I had to work in her community for a couple of weeks.

Allymumtobe is offline Winner 2012 - Most Optimistic Poster
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by louellyn View Post
    Ding ding ding correct

It's discrimination. Considering regardless Of size you can't fly your car across the sea so you can't say things like obese people shouldn't fly! You can't rent a private jet either! Pay for two seats!? So if an obese person cannot afford a second seat they deserve to miss out on overseas destinations? Or what of they were traveling to get to a sick relative?

I fully believe airlines have a responsibility to their passengers!

And maybe I'm getting a little angry so I'll shut up

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Allymumtobe For This Useful Post:

Purple Lily  (24-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Allymumtobe View Post
    Ding ding ding correct

It's discrimination. Considering regardless Of size you can't fly your car across the sea so you can't say things like obese people shouldn't fly! You can't rent a private jet either! Pay for two seats!? So if an obese person cannot afford a second seat they deserve to miss out on overseas destinations? Or what of they were traveling to get to a sick relative?

I fully believe airlines have a responsibility to their passengers!

And maybe I'm getting a little angry so I'll shut up
    I'm not advocating one thing or another (I wrote a long rambly post earlier, where I was trying to work out my thoughts, and ended up leaning toward saying that - for want of a better solution - I felt that a passenger who was unable to sit in an economy seat without encroaching on another passenger's seat should pay for a premium seat).

But I just wanted to say that we do discriminate (legally) on all sorts of grounds and, for some things, we have to.

Fairground rides discriminate based on height and size, for safety reasons. Many forms of transportation have weight limits, again for safety reasons.

I believe that obese people should be able to fly in an aeroplane, but I don't think that anyone's privileges should be at the expense of another's in this regard.

It's a difficult situation, but seats do accommodate the vast majority of passengers. It isn't practical for an aeroplane to be able to accommodate every shape and size of person in the economy (mass transit) seats. There are bigger seats available, but they come at a cost, as the aircraft can't fit as many of them. To me this seems reasonable, although I can understand how it would also be upsetting for those who had to pay extra.

The difficulty is where something like that ended. Should an aircraft have a wide variety of seats, to accommodate smaller passengers/ medium/ larger? They really do have to go with the average. I'm not sure what better system there could be.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Guest654 For This Useful Post:

Maybelline  (24-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    You know, I honestly do not believe that larger people should have to pay for 2 seats. They rarely take up two entire seats anyway, and how can you comfortably sit in 2 seats anyway?

TBH, I'd rather there be larger seats and we ALL pay for higher ticket prices to accommodate that (becuase bigger seats means less seats). I'd be happy to pay more for my ticket if it meant that all people are treated with respect and kindness. I've never needed a seatbelt extension and certainly do not now either, so this isn't just because I'm some big fatty hogging up 2 seats and feeling all hard done by due to whinging skinny people or anything...

Forcing obese people to pay for 2 seats is, IMO, pretty much telling obese people to not travel anywhere unless they're really rich. What a way to make a person who perhaps has mental health issues (because let's face it, how many obese people would there be WITHOUT some sort of depression or similar?) feel even more down and disliked by the general public.

Nobody wants to end up squashed, I get that. Nobody also wants to hear a screaming baby. Or deal with some twit moving their chair back and forth during meal times. Or have some idiot kick their chair half the flight. Or be sat next to someone who falls asleep and snores. Etc etc. It's the price you pay when you travel unfortunately... and we can't just force people to pay double the price just because they may be annoying to others.

Bigger seats, making prices higher to accommodate this (it wouldn't likely be a massive price increase - especially if not all seats were made larger) sounds a lot more fair and respectful to all IMO.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to SassyMummy For This Useful Post:

Purple Lily  (24-04-2012)