+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    SuperGranny is offline Worlds best grandma! Winner 2012 - Most Helpful Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Some planes do have larger seats where the escape door is over the wings. If that option is available, the check in counter should allocate those seats to the larger people. I have also seen this option available for a slightly higher price if you are making the booking online. I have travelled with a larger person, and he needed the extra belt that the airlines have for mums with small children. I feel very sad for the person who must have been so embarassed, the bully could do with some lessons in compassion. Marie.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    One of the biggest issues about check-in staff allocating seats is that you can check in online, print your boarding pass and head straight through security to the boarding gate, so the first a flight attendant can know about an obese person flying with them can be when they board the aircraft, which would often be too late to accommodate them.

Thanks
    Reviews
    How awful that made me sad. You can fix a problem without being an a.s.s about it. Some people!

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using BubHub
    Last edited by Gracie's Mum; 24-04-2012 at 15:23.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    If that was me I'd have a quiet word with the stewardess . I'd be so embarrassed asking but I need to be comfy on flights . Neither dp or I fly well.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Kimberleygal1 View Post
    It's awful not to be comfortable when flying but I wouldn't have been rude like that. One flight I was on, the air hostess was a large lady to the point she kept knocking everyone whilst walking down the isle so everyone was making the effort to not use the arm rests including myself. I made a complaint to the airline about it. They gave me a voucher towards another flight. This is what I would have done in this situation also. Or at least spoken discreetly to the air hostesses asking for another seat.

I think we can safely say that poor lady will no longer have her job

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to *Cj* For This Useful Post:

AllYouNeedIsLove  (24-04-2012),jacobsmamma  (24-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    As others have said, all that was needed was a quiet word with the flight attendant to ask if perhaps another seat was available. No word needed to be said the obese man.

Obese people usually know they're obese and that they're taking up a lot of room and making others uncomfortable. God, they're uncomfortable themselves.

While I'm not sure it's exactly that nice to do, perhaps it would help if when ordering tickets, people were asked to make note of their waist circumference or some such thing... and if possible, they'd be given seats on their own, or a seat next to a child or something... so that they could properly be accommodated for and everyone could be happier and more comfortable.

Most fat people will not want to squash anyone... on public transport they'll avoid squishing in next to other people and would rather stand instead if they can. I only use seats next to other people now that I am sure I'm unlikely to squash them or hang over the seat edge into their seat.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Yep, stepping away and asking for a vacant seat elsewhere would be the normal thing to do, this guy was a prick.

I'm 5'11 and don't fit in the seats because of my long legs, I'm actually in pain a lot of the time on a flight and can't have the emergency exit row seats anymore as I have kids.

Should I have to pay for an extra fare because I am tall?

GluttonForPunishment is offline Bubhub Award Winner - 2011- Most Optimistic Poster and Newbie of the Year Awards
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by maddysmama View Post
    Oh how horrible. I really feel for the man, that would have been humiliating

The nasty, rude guy should have had a quiet word to the hostess, and not have made such a public fuss. Surely it's not so hard to have a little compassion in life.

I understand that it would be annoying to have only a percentage of your seat, in an already tight spot. Those seat spaces really are small! But I'd hate to see people paying for 2 seats instead of one cause of their size. Dunno, just doesn't sit well with me.
    Sorry, but had a chuckle at this. And dammit, it needed to be recognised!

As to old mate with the attitude, what a ******! I hate rude people. There is absolutley no need for it whatsoever. It's one of the few things I have a complete intolerance for - self-riteous and self-important a55holes who think they matter more than anyone else. Guess what buddy! You could die tomorrow and NOBODY WOULD CARE COS YOU'RE A JERK!

Yes, I guess you could say his attitude irks me. I'm irked. As to the large fellow in the seat - well, there's already been a variety of suggestions. Personally, I think with a nice attitude and a bit of compromise there was no need for this situation to ever have arisen in the first place.

*wanders off muttering about obnoxious jerks to himself...*

10. The Following User Says Thank You to GluttonForPunishment For This Useful Post:

jacobsmamma  (24-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    the poor guy how humiliating.

i recently did a short flight with DD2 (17mths).
    as i got down the aisle to our seat i looked and saw that there was a larger person seated next to us, due to having to have DD2 on my lap i knew we wouldnt fit next to this person so i just went straight to the air hostess and luckily they were able to move us to another seat without the person even knowing.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes, it was definately embaressing... the rude man actually looked so p!ssed off about it, he had the look of wanting a fight... seriously, everybody went dead silent on the plane, and i just really really felt sorry for this other man. He looked like he wanted to just dissappear. I'm sure he was aware everybody was listening/staring.. this other moron couldn't talk any louder..