+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I also think that the larger person needs to take some responsibility in this as well. Why not talk to the check-in person, asking if the flight is full and if it's not are they able to block out the seat next to them.

If you are that large you will know perfectly well you are not going to fit into an airline seat and I think you need to be proactive about this.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to goldencrumble For This Useful Post:

Apple iPhart6  (24-04-2012),Lovemyfam  (25-04-2012),Maybelline  (24-04-2012)

Allymumtobe is offline Winner 2012 - Most Optimistic Poster
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Sorry double post
    Last edited by Allymumtobe; 24-04-2012 at 15:09.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Allymumtobe For This Useful Post:

Bellaxo  (26-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Double post grrr
    Last edited by Blessedwith3boys; 24-04-2012 at 16:20.

Thanks
    Reviews
    how awful for the man, im glad he at least didnt have to sit next to such a rude an arrogant ****

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Fox For This Useful Post:

AllYouNeedIsLove  (24-04-2012),jacobsmamma  (24-04-2012)

Allymumtobe is offline Winner 2012 - Most Optimistic Poster
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by goldencrumble View Post
    I also think that the larger person needs to take some responsibility in this as well. Why not talk to the check-in person, asking if the flight is full and if it's not are they able to block out the seat next to them.

If you are that large you will know perfectly well you are not going to fit into an airline seat and I think you need to be proactive about this.
    Fair enough but if a flight was full should an over weight person have to pay sometimes 100's more for a "first class" seat that is wider? The airlines need to be realistic about the size of modern people in general the population on earth now are taller and bigger than we were 50 years ago even they need realistic seating even the plastic chairs in the terminals are wider than an airline seat

Thanks
    Reviews
    The behaviour of the angry man is disgusting. I feel so much for the overweight man, humiliation is the absolute worst feeling, and to be stuck on a plane after that as well...what a jerk. It isn't hard to speak to one of the staff in private.

That said I have been on a long haul flight next to an obese person and yes it was uncomfortable. For both of us. I have also been on a long haul flight next to a person with terrible breath. That was worse. Then there was the man who had awful, pungent body odour AND continuously fell asleep on me for the whole flight.

My point is flying is uncomfortable and unpleasant a lot of the time. For many reasons.

I do feel torn about the idea of making seats bigger on planes though. Easy for me to say I suppose as I am 5"2 and of average weight so don't feel the seats are tiny at all.

But how does it happen? Do we put the time, money and resources into rebuilding all planes to accommodate for our growing society? Do we just have a section of the plane with larger seats? That hardly seems ethical. It's a tough one. An avoidable problem majority of the time, IMO.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to GreenMama For This Useful Post:

Mod-pegasus  (24-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I think that's a good idea that SassyMummy had. Perhaps if there were larger seats available, with a higher price associated (a bit more than economy, but less than premium economy) then that would help. But, having said that, for the airlines to continue to make the same profit levels then the premium would have to be relatively high - in which case it kind of makes it the same as paying for premium economy.

I'm not sure what the right answer is. I agree that economy seats are cramped. I'm 170cm tall and average weight, and I feel cramped in them. Having said that, airlines run as businesses, and they are all able to run a successful model based on the current seat sizes.

I don't think it's fair for someone to have their seat encroached upon by someone else (for whatever reason). I realise that this leaves larger people in the situation where they may have to pay for an upgraded (and therefore larger) seat - which they may not be able to do.

If airlines made all seats larger then they would lose profits, unless they increased ticket prices. And if one airline did it then they may lose out to a rival who is able to achieve a larger market share, so it would almost have to be done unilaterally by all of the major airlines - which is unlikely.

My current thinking is that if you are unable to fit into an economy sized seat then you should (if possible) upgrade. If you are not able to afford to do so, then I appreciate that leaves you in a horrid position, but to take up someone else's seat too doesn't seem like a fair thing to do.

I do think that airlines have to cater for an average build. Let's face it, for most of us it's not very comfortable in economy, but I think that those for whom it is impossible (without taking up someone else's seat too) are in the minority, and I think that there will always be people in that situation - regardless of how much wider an airline makes its seats.

I'm not trying to come across as unsympathetic here, and I realise it might seem that way. I guess, to put it very clumsily, I'm trying to say that an airline has to draw a line 'somewhere' and there will always be those who fit outside of those lines.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Guest654 For This Useful Post:

Turk EnJayDee  (25-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Allymumtobe View Post
    Fair enough but if a flight was full should an over weight person have to pay sometimes 100's more for a "first class" seat that is wider? The airlines need to be realistic about the size of modern people in general the population on earth now are taller and bigger than we were 50 years ago even they need realistic seating even the plastic chairs in the terminals are wider than an airline seat
    If the flights full then its full, no one can do anything about it.

But let's be realistic. The airlines aren't going to resize all their seats. And if they do, airfares will rise to pay for it and then all consumers will be paying more for flights. Unfortunately I can't see a solution in this every growing problem.

The only thing that could be seen as a solution is putting a small selection of wider seats in the aircraft on the popular routes. In order to pay for the upgrade to the plane, I would imagine the airline would then charge an additional price if you book one of the those seats, similar to when you pay for additional luggage. That would at least give larger people the option.

Thanks
    Reviews
    The disgruntled passenger handled the situation very badly so I feel for the larger passenger.

However, I myself am obese (man I loathe that word) and so I do everything I can to make a plane trip more confortable for myself and for anyone else who may be sitting next to me.

I always ask if the flight is full and if not I ask them to block out the seat next to me (on the rare occassion that I am flying alone). If this is not possible I ask for a window seat as there is a little extra room there and it also means that I am not in the way should anyone want to get up for any reason.

I also keep my arm rest down all of the time and I guess that I try and make myself smaller if that makes sense eg I do not try and put my arm on the arm rest so that the other passenger feels like they have more room.

I have never had to ask for an extension belt even when I was upwards of 40kg heavier, but if I did reach that stage I would simply book two seats or more likely I would book business/first class. If I could not afford this then I simply would not fly.

There is no argument that flying is uncomfortable for everyone and that the seats are too small but there is some onus also on the passenger themselves.

I do not know if they do it here in Australia but I think that in the USA if the booking in clerk (or whomever) thinks that a passenger will not fit in a seat they are asked to pay for another seat. This would be embarassing if it happened but I can understand why it is done. As previously said a fat person knows that they are fat - it does not come as a shock to not fit in a seat.

It is a difficult one - people are getting larger so airlines and other services need to adapt but at the same time how far do they go and when does individual responsibility take over?

Thanks
    Reviews
    It was rude of the man to go off, I wish the airlines would make the seats bigger but that would make the costs more. I do think there is some weight restriction where excessively large ppl have to go first class in the bigger seats with some airlines We used to always go blue zone for an extra cost which is the emergency exits and they have more leg room as dh can't fit behind the normal seats but with kids we are now excluded from that section so have to deal with it best we can.