+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SassyMummy View Post
    You'd really have less of a problem with someone putting their bare feet on you, using you as their pillow or eating your food?

I wouldn't. Those things are done to intentionally.

Being so fat you spill into someone else's seat, I'd hazard a guess and say it's not intentional at all.
    Well, I guess it would be a different thing. I actually had the bare feet thing happen (shudder), and the same man that did that constantly gesticulated across me, and managed to spill a full drink on me and upend a curry on me. In the end I did (discreetly) ask to change seats.

I guess my point was that those things are inconveniences, and yes - either done intentionally or displaying a gross insensitivity/ lack of consideration - but my point was more that they are not constantly happening to you with no way of a break. If someone is pressed up against you/ continually touching you then there is no way of asking them to stop (if it's weight related).

It probably wasn't a great example. My point was more that there is no getting away from someone who is constantly touching you because of their size. I find that more intrusive/ more of an invasion of a personal space than many other aircraft inconveniences.

What I was trying to get at is that I found it odd that so many people seem to be saying it doesn't matter, and that people should put up with it. I was trying to think of other examples of things that (a) represent someone taking something that you have paid for, and (b) make you feel horribly uncomfortable that you wouldn't put up with.

It's not really about whether someone means to do it or not. To me there is nothing personal or 'obese bashing' about the situation. It's just that I don't want anyone (whatever size) pressed up against me for hours on end, and I don't think it's reasonable to suggest that I (or anyone) should put up with it.

Haha - just realised how that sounded. Sorry, DH...

SpecialPatrolGroup is online now T-rex is cranky until she gets her coffee.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RainbowSky View Post
    The point I am making isn't about risk. It's about having to pay more for a service than someone else without my condition. I have never claimed on travel insurance for anything health related yet I still have to pay heaps more than the next "healthy" person.

The argument in this thread is that is isn't fair for bigger people to pay for 2 seats and that by requiring them to do so is essentially saying that bigger people have to be rich to fly.

That's the point I'm making with the insurance...I am still paying extra for something that a healthy person doesn't. I am still being "inconvenienced" and "discriminated" against due to my special need and one could say that sick people have to be rich to travel.

Same premise IMO.
    I suspect that no one will ever be able to provide you with a satisfactory answer because you can't have a conversation about insurance that doesn't consider risk also.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RainbowSky View Post
    Who gets preference though? As someone said up-thread, would a 170kg person get it before a 160kg person? I just think that would be very hard to work out. An airline would need to ask for measurements or weight and that would be quite embarassing I would imagine. Unless they had a box to tick if your waist measurement is over a certain size and then you would be automatically allocated a larger seat. What happens though when they are all taken? Is the larger person refused to fly? Now THAT would be discrimination!
    Which leads nicely into my third comparison with wheelchair flying, thankyou.

So far, in questioning why large people deserve particularly special treatment compared with wheelchair users I've mentioned:
    1) limits to the number allowed to fly on a particular service
    2) having to purchase an additional seat (and possibly also motel room and other expenses for a second person).

When booking you must declare that you use a wheelchair. There have been some posts earlier in which people say they'd be OK doing as a large traveller if it alleviated the sharing a seat problem.
    If you don't declare you're a wheelchair user when purchasing your ticket, then YES, the airline can refuse you permission to board. The airline will WIN its defence against discrimination (verdict was handed down at the end of 2011 or beginning of 2012).

So, to make things fair, then in response to the quote, yes additional large people should be refused passage. Any other response by the airline would be discriminatory.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I think it's rude. Awful.
    That poor man.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by SpecialPatrolGroup View Post
    I suspect that no one will ever be able to provide you with a satisfactory answer because you can't have a conversation about insurance that doesn't consider risk also.
    Quote Originally Posted by SpecialPatrolGroup View Post
    She is talking about how much she has to pay for a product compared to others. I do see the comparison!

I had to pay higher uni fees when I did my postgrad as I was not Australian at the time. Is that racist? No!! Sometimes certain groups have I pay more for things and it is not discrimination.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to kw123 For This Useful Post:

RainbowSky  (26-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by babyla View Post
    In a plane trip you are not paying for space you are paying to get from A to B. The argument that larger people should pay more because they take up more space shouldn't apply. If people were to be charged more because of their size then so should tall people because they also take up more space - but space is not what is being purchased otherwise there would be a size sliding scale in airline seat prices which there isn't. I'm not sure what the answer is but that man was heinously rude and callous. I think I would have been tempted to tell him to shut the eff up because his offensiveness was impacting on my right to a pleasant flight. Rude!
    You pay for a seat so if you take up more than 1 you should pay for more than one.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Lovemyfam For This Useful Post:

RainbowSky  (26-04-2012)

Ana Gram is offline 2008 WINNER - straight shooter award
    Winner 2008 & 2009 - Community Minded thread
    Winner 2009 - Mod Award - most passionate member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I am wondering what airlines people are taking because I am of average height and size 10-12 and I don't fit in airline seats comfortably.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ana Gram For This Useful Post:

GothChick  (26-04-2012),Purple Lily  (26-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yep, I was thinking the same thing Ana. I'm petite, and even I find the economy seats cozy sometimes (especially in small planes like Dash 8s). Plenty of people in the healthy weight range find it hard to keep within the seat confines - my brother is tall but not at all overweight, and he really doesn't fit. He is lucky to now travel business class but when in economy its a squeeze and not comfortable for him or his neighbours.

Airline seat space is shrinking so they can fit more in. In the last 10 years I've found leg room has shrunk considerably. Some planes I can hardly get to my seat! A consequence of that is more conflict over seat space. Its something airline's are going to have to address.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to MissMuppet For This Useful Post:

GothChick  (26-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I flew just a few days ago and i am pretty tiny (49kgs, average height) and i found i took up the whole seat with jetstar. I also flew with qantas and the seat was slightly bigger but still cramped - and i don't take up much space, i think i'm smaller than the average person. The seats are not designed to fit average sized people comfortably, they just aren't. Something needs to change.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MothersMilk For This Useful Post:

GothChick  (26-04-2012),MissMuppet  (26-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ana Gram View Post
    I am wondering what airlines people are taking because I am of average height and size 10-12 and I don't fit in airline seats comfortably.
    The only person who I know that fits comfortably in a seat is size 8 and 162cm tall heh.

I have to say that I do not really understand why people think it is discriminatory to ask someone who is taking up 1/2-2 seats to pay for that additional seat.

However, I do think that it is discriminatory to have a ruling that only a certain number of people over ***kgs can travel on a plane or having a special section for them to sit in.

btw we are not talking about someone who may simply take up an extra cm or two but rather a significant amount of a second seat. I read above somewhere about a reader who could not put their tray down because of a large person next to them - this would be an example of where that person should have asked for a seat to be blocked out or where they should have been asked to pay for two seats.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to MsTruth For This Useful Post:

RainbowSky  (26-04-2012)