+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast
Results 121 to 130 of 140
  1. #121
    SpecialPatrolGroup's Avatar
    SpecialPatrolGroup is offline T-rex is cranky until she gets her coffee.
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    In the messy house, Brisbane
    Posts
    9,481
    Thanks
    2,180
    Thanked
    5,405
    Reviews
    1
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by felicita View Post
    Well, that is already the rule that is currently in place isn't it. It was advertised when it was introduced about 10 years ago.
    I have never known anyone to pay extra for an exit row, but extra leg room isn't something that I really have a need for.

    Who is going to pay for airlines providing extra wide seats? Well certainly not the skinny people, in fact they probably should get a discount for taking up less space. This whole argument wreaks of fat people being unworthy and an inconvenience to others and it just further stigmatises *fatties* IMO.

    Having to pay for a whole extra seat is really unfair because it essentially doubles travel costs for people who happen to fall outside of an arbitrary size range set down by airlines. So essentially it sends the message that if you must be fat, you could at least have the decency to be wealthy (but we all know that to be impossible because you are clearly uneducated because you must be making poor food choices that make you fat in the first place, so just stay home) Imagine how you would feel if you could not afford to travel to a funeral for example because you couldn't afford to pay for your left saddlebag?


    Sorry, I have a bit of a chip on my shoulder about this, so I can only imagine how someone who doesn't fit a plane seat must feel.

  2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SpecialPatrolGroup For This Useful Post:

    bada  (25-04-2012),twotrunks  (25-04-2012),Zombie_eyes  (25-04-2012)

  3. #122
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    7,668
    Thanks
    5,719
    Thanked
    3,068
    Reviews
    25
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by SpecialPatrolGroup View Post
    I have never known anyone to pay extra for an exit row, but extra leg room isn't something that I really have a need for.

    Who is going to pay for airlines providing extra wide seats? Well certainly not the skinny people, in fact they probably should get a discount for taking up less space. This whole argument wreaks of fat people being unworthy and an inconvenience to others and it just further stigmatises *fatties* IMO.

    Having to pay for a whole extra seat is really unfair because it essentially doubles travel costs for people who happen to fall outside of an arbitrary size range set down by airlines. So essentially it sends the message that if you must be fat, you could at least have the decency to be wealthy (but we all know that to be impossible because you are clearly uneducated because you must be making poor food choices that make you fat in the first place, so just stay home) Imagine how you would feel if you could not afford to travel to a funeral for example because you couldn't afford to pay for your left saddlebag?


    Sorry, I have a bit of a chip on my shoulder about this, so I can only imagine how someone who doesn't fit a plane seat must feel.
    Thank you! Very well said.

  4. #123
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    1,114
    Thanks
    142
    Thanked
    153
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Izzys Mummy View Post
    But kids under 2 are not allowed to sit by themselves during take off landing and turbulence. I flew last year Singapore to bris and spent 7 out of the 8 hr flight with DD on my lap cos of turbulence. It wasn't fun for me or her or the guy next to me.

    What should airlines and parents do then? Luckily she was 6mths old but when I flew to melb a month ago - 19mths - se prob. Turbulence the whole flight. What then?
    Ideally they would have a child restraint. I believe you can take car seats onto planes as well with some airlines. I have seen this on US flights but not in Australia so I'm not sure if that's an option here. Otherwise, you would just need to hold your child during periods of turbulence. Rarely are flights turbulent the entire time so you got unlucky with your one!

    Quote Originally Posted by GothChick View Post
    Absolutely not. That is why I think it's a great idea to have a certain number of larger seats on planes so that people who need larger seats can use them, and people who don't need larger seats won't have to feel uncomfortable squished in around them.It is unfortunate for her that she might have to be put in that situation at the moment, but there is always the option of moving seats or buying business class tickets if they can afford it....just like an overweight person has those options. If neither decide to use them, then until airlines start increasing the size of some seats, they are going to just have to put up with it sadly. There is no other option. They aren't going to start making overweight people pay for 2 seats anytime soon imo.
    Who gets preference though? As someone said up-thread, would a 170kg person
    get it before a 160kg person? I just think that would be very hard to work out. An airline would need to ask for measurements or weight and that would be quite embarassing I would imagine. Unless they had a box to tick if your waist measurement is over a certain size and then you would be automatically allocated a larger seat. What happens though when they are all taken? Is the larger person refused to fly? Now THAT would be discrimination!

    Quote Originally Posted by GothChick View Post
    But what others in this thread are saying is, why should the person have to buy a whole second seat if they are only 'over' theirs by a few inches? You say the person next to them has paid for a whole seat and that is what they should receive, but then the overweight person has to pay for a whole other seat that they only need a few inches of....
    It doesn't matter though. Regardless of how much of the next seat you are taking up, if you cannot fit within the limits of your assigned seat - you are still taking something that is not yours to take and more importantly, you are making the person next to you extremely uncomfortable.

    So while it sucks to have to pay for another seat...well I'm sorry but that's just life. Just like it would suck to have to pay adult prices to take a 13yo to a buffet restaurant when he/she only turned 13 a couple of weeks ago and doesn't eat anywhere near what a grown man does, yet 12 is the cut off.

    Yep it sucks but life is full of limits and rules and restrictions - be they age, size, ability etc etc.

    Quote Originally Posted by SpecialPatrolGroup View Post
    Should tall people have to pay for the extra leg room in the exit row?
    They already do. It's an option on most airlines now, unfortunately you do pay more for an exit row seat and the privilige of being allocated more room than your fellow fliers.

  5. The Following User Says Thank You to RainbowSky For This Useful Post:

    Guest654  (25-04-2012)

  6. #124
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    1,114
    Thanks
    142
    Thanked
    153
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SpecialPatrolGroup View Post
    I have never known anyone to pay extra for an exit row, but extra leg room isn't something that I really have a need for.

    Who is going to pay for airlines providing extra wide seats? Well certainly not the skinny people, in fact they probably should get a discount for taking up less space. This whole argument wreaks of fat people being unworthy and an inconvenience to others and it just further stigmatises *fatties* IMO.

    Having to pay for a whole extra seat is really unfair because it essentially doubles travel costs for people who happen to fall outside of an arbitrary size range set down by airlines. So essentially it sends the message that if you must be fat, you could at least have the decency to be wealthy (but we all know that to be impossible because you are clearly uneducated because you must be making poor food choices that make you fat in the first place, so just stay home) Imagine how you would feel if you could not afford to travel to a funeral for example because you couldn't afford to pay for your left saddlebag?


    Sorry, I have a bit of a chip on my shoulder about this, so I can only imagine how someone who doesn't fit a plane seat must feel.
    Oh my goodness, seriously? I'm sorry but I intensely dislike these sorts of things being thrown into perfectly reasonable discussions. Not ONCE has anyone in this thread said that "fatties" are unworthy or an inconvenience. In fact, there are people (like myself) who ARE "fatties" posting with the opinion that paying for a second seat seems to be the only fair solution. Everyone has been respectful and sensitive IMO. I understand it's a sensitive topic and I'm sorry you are taking it personally but it's not a personal attack. At all.

    The whole "it's not fair, why should "fatties" have double travel costs" just doesn't fly.

    I'm not going to repeat the whole story but if you read earlier posts I have asked twice now how it is any different to someone like myself having a chronic illness but having to pay sometimes 4 times the amount for travel insurance. I could cry "It's SO unfair! Why should sick people have to be rich to travel? Why shouldn't I pay the same as someone who has no health issues? It's not my fault I'm sick! Everyone thinks I'm an inconvenience! It's just not fair!!!!". It's the same reasoning. And so far, no-one has come up with any answer to that. No-one is outraged!

    It would be nice but I guess I just don't expect others to be inconvenienced for MY "issue" (for want of a better word). So why should I have to put up with someone spilling over into my seat and not even being able to put the arm-rest down between us? You honestly think that's fair for either person? Why should you have to put up with that if the person practically sitting on you is me?

    Hmmm.
    Last edited by RainbowSky; 25-04-2012 at 21:02.

  7. The Following User Says Thank You to RainbowSky For This Useful Post:

    Guest654  (25-04-2012)

  8. #125
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    60
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    15
    Reviews
    0
    My husband is 201cm tall and traveling prior to web/kiosk check ins helped eliminate issues regarding seating. Check in staff could allocate seating appropriately based on height/weight without you even knowing.
    Bring back good old fashioned customer service and avoid embarrassing situations.
    Last edited by Esmay; 25-04-2012 at 21:44.

  9. #126
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    5,276
    Thanks
    3,697
    Thanked
    3,090
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RainbowSky View Post
    Ideally they would have a child restraint. I believe you can take car seats onto planes as well with some airlines. I have seen this on US flights but not in Australia so I'm not sure if that's an option here. Otherwise, you would just need to hold your child during periods of turbulence. Rarely are flights turbulent the entire time so you got unlucky with your one!
    IzzysMummy - I just came back from a flight where my 22mth old DD had her own seat for takeoff and landing, and wasn't required to sit on a lap.

    We flew out on an international flight (with a domestic stopover), with her on our laps. It was a pretty difficult experience, as she is really at that point where she's big enough for her own seat, and is very wriggly.

    So the day before flying back we booked an extra seat on both the international and domestic legs of our journey. She had the usual lap belt restraint, and wasn't required to be on laps.

    We met a pilot at our hotel who, when we overheard us at the concierge booking the extra seats, said that his best tip was to fly with a car seat and sit them in that (in the seat), as they are then restrained but also usually a bit more comfortable/ used to falling asleep in that chair, and settle better.

    Next time...

  10. #127
    SpecialPatrolGroup's Avatar
    SpecialPatrolGroup is offline T-rex is cranky until she gets her coffee.
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    In the messy house, Brisbane
    Posts
    9,481
    Thanks
    2,180
    Thanked
    5,405
    Reviews
    1
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I'm sorry RainbowSky, but the comparison of health insurance doesn't really work - a person with a chronic illness is a risk to the insurance company, that could end up costing the company tens of thousands of dollars, so they need to measure that risk. A person who is wider than a seat does not pose a comparable financial risk to the airline. I do agree that travel insurance is problematic for people with chronic illness and the elderly but it is quite different, in that the insurance protects you for any financial loss that you might suffer for cancellation and health expenses that you would be at increased risk of due to a medical condition. When you take out travel insurance, you are asking someone else to accept responsibility for your risk, so just as people who present an increased risk of an accident pay more for their car insurance. I am sorry that you are made to feel an inconvenience. Of course it is not your fault that you are sick, but that suggests that we are apportioning blame. A man has no control over having broad shoulders and despite what people like to believe, not everyone has control over their girth.

    Threads where weight is discussed often reveal an under current of derision for overweight people, as does much of the commentary in society and that is what I was responding to.

  11. #128
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    1,114
    Thanks
    142
    Thanked
    153
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SpecialPatrolGroup View Post
    I'm sorry RainbowSky, but the comparison of health insurance doesn't really work - a person with a chronic illness is a risk to the insurance company, that could end up costing the company tens of thousands of dollars, so they need to measure that risk. A person who is wider than a seat does not pose a comparable financial risk to the airline. I do agree that travel insurance is problematic for people with chronic illness and the elderly but it is quite different, in that the insurance protects you for any financial loss that you might suffer for cancellation and health expenses that you would be at increased risk of due to a medical condition. When you take out travel insurance, you are asking someone else to accept responsibility for your risk, so just as people who present an increased risk of an accident pay more for their car insurance. I am sorry that you are made to feel an inconvenience. Of course it is not your fault that you are sick, but that suggests that we are apportioning blame. A man has no control over having broad shoulders and despite what people like to believe, not everyone has control over their girth.

    Threads where weight is discussed often reveal an under current of derision for overweight people, as does much of the commentary in society and that is what I was responding to.
    The point I am making isn't about risk. It's about having to pay more for a service than someone else without my condition. I have never claimed on travel insurance for anything health related yet I still have to pay heaps more than the next "healthy" person.

    The argument in this thread is that is isn't fair for bigger people to pay for 2 seats and that by requiring them to do so is essentially saying that bigger people have to be rich to fly.

    That's the point I'm making with the insurance...I am still paying extra for something that a healthy person doesn't. I am still being "inconvenienced" and "discriminated" against due to my special need and one could say that sick people have to be rich to travel.

    Same premise IMO.

  12. #129
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    5,276
    Thanks
    3,697
    Thanked
    3,090
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I have no underlying issues/ scorn for people who are unable to fit into an economy seat. I only have an issue with someone invading my personal space, and taking away something that I have paid for.

    I would see it the same way as if the person next to me rested their head on my shoulder to go to sleep, or sat on my lap, or put their feet up on my lap, or touched me with their bare feet the whole time, or ate half of my food on the plane.

    Actually, I would probably have less of an issue with those things, as you can ask the person to stop. If someone is pressed up against you, touching your body, because they are unable NOT to then you cannot ask them to stop.

    While the airlines allow it to happen, there is little we can do except (tactfully) request to be moved. But I don't understand the expectation that we should just put up with it and be okay with it. I'm really not okay with a complete stranger pressed up against me like that, nor the expectation that I should think that's fine.

    Nothing against the person - just don't want to get that close and personal with a stranger.

  13. The Following User Says Thank You to Guest654 For This Useful Post:

    Stiflers Mom  (26-04-2012)

  14. #130
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Qld
    Posts
    26,930
    Thanks
    2,736
    Thanked
    6,743
    Reviews
    2
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    You'd really have less of a problem with someone putting their bare feet on you, using you as their pillow or eating your food?

    I wouldn't. Those things are done to intentionally.

    Being so fat you spill into someone else's seat, I'd hazard a guess and say it's not intentional at all.

  15. The Following User Says Thank You to SassyMummy For This Useful Post:

    SpecialPatrolGroup  (25-04-2012)


 

Similar Threads

  1. umbrella stroller suitable for planes?
    By alexsmom in forum General Parenting Tips, Advice & Chat
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 06-09-2012, 09:24
  2. Babies on Planes
    By GlitterFarts in forum Pregnancy & Birth General Chat
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 08-07-2012, 12:49
  3. Larger children?!?
    By daysta112 in forum General Chat
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 06-07-2012, 16:25

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
free weekly newsletters | sign up now!
who are these people who write great posts? meet our hubbub authors!
Learn how you can contribute to the hubbub!

reviews
learn how you can become a reviewer!

competitions

forum - chatting now
christmas gift guidesee all Red Stocking
Pyjamas.com.au
With so many gorgeous brands and styles for every season, our pyjamas, nighties, robes, sleepsuits and sleeping bags are lovely for lights out and perfect for lazy days. Get 10% off first order using code bubhub. Be quick offer ends 31/12/16.
sales & new stuffsee all
Bub Hub Sales Listing
HAVING A SALE? Let parents know about it with a Bub Hub Sales listing. Listings are featured on our well trafficked Sales Page + selected randomly to appear on EVERY page
featured supporter
Hills Swimming Kenthurst
Located in the beautiful suburb of Kenthurst and boasts a heated 25m pool. We conduct world-leading Baby and Parent Classes, Preschool Classes, School Age and Squad Training. Our classes are small, our service personal and our quality of the highest.
gotcha
X

Pregnant for the first-time?

Not sure where to start? We can help!

Our Insider Programs for pregnancy first-timers will lead you step-by-step through the 14 Pregnancy Must Dos!