+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I think that if you are unable to fit your frame within the size of the chair provided you should be asked to buy another seat. It's not rocket science. The person in the next chair has paid for a whole seat and that's what they should receive, not half or three quarters of a chair taken up by someone else's body.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to sunnyflower For This Useful Post:

Blessedwith3boys  (25-04-2012),Guest654  (25-04-2012),Maybelline  (25-04-2012),Opinionated  (25-04-2012),RainbowSky  (25-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sunnyflower View Post
    I think that if you are unable to fit your frame within the size of the chair provided you should be asked to buy another seat. It's not rocket science. The person in the next chair has paid for a whole seat and that's what they should receive, not half or three quarters of a chair taken up by someone else's body.
    But what others in this thread are saying is, why should the person have to buy a whole second seat if they are only 'over' theirs by a few inches? You say the person next to them has paid for a whole seat and that is what they should receive, but then the overweight person has to pay for a whole other seat that they only need a few inches of....

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GothChick For This Useful Post:

FindMyLunch  (25-04-2012),Purple Lily  (25-04-2012),SpecialPatrolGroup  (25-04-2012)

SpecialPatrolGroup is offline T-rex is cranky until she gets her coffee.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    The fact that plane seats are too small for some passengers is not going to go away. I think it would be responsible of the airlines to offer select wider seats in accordance with the needs of their consumers(economy, not first/business class). It doesn't even need to have stigma attached to it because there are some people who just have very broad shoulders.

SpecialPatrolGroup is offline T-rex is cranky until she gets her coffee.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by sunnyflower View Post
    I think that if you are unable to fit your frame within the size of the chair provided you should be asked to buy another seat.
    Should tall people have to pay for the extra leg room in the exit row?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by GothChick View Post
    But what others in this thread are saying is, why should the person have to buy a whole second seat if they are only 'over' theirs by a few inches? You say the person next to them has paid for a whole seat and that is what they should receive, but then the overweight person has to pay for a whole other seat that they only need a few inches of....
    Well, the option there is to go to premium economy (or buy two seats, depending on which works out cheaper at the time). If they cannot fit within one seat and, by trying to, they take away something from someone else, then this does not seem fair to me.

Quote Originally Posted by SpecialPatrolGroup View Post
    The fact that plane seats are too small for some passengers is not going to go away. I think it would be responsible of the airlines to offer select wider seats in accordance with the needs of their consumers(economy, not first/business class). It doesn't even need to have stigma attached to it because there are some people who just have very broad shoulders.
    But who pays for this? And, as I asked earlier, if the customer pays a little extra for a seat that's a little bigger - then how are those seats allocated? And if those allocations are used up then we still have the problem of the larger person trying to squeeze into too small a seat - unless the airlines said that this was no longer allowed.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by GothChick View Post
    It's a few inches that isn't theirs to use and doesn't belong to them....
    It belongs to the person who paid for it.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to sunnyflower For This Useful Post:

Guest654  (25-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I would imagine that if there were limited larger seats, you'd have the option to purchase one when you made your booking... and if they weren't available on that flight, then you'd need another flight.

Companies would let passengers know that the people getting priority for these seats would be those who are too big to fit comfortably in a regular seat (either due to pregnancy or obesity), women holding infants on their laps, those with disabilities or injuries requiring more room, etc. If these seats are free, THEN they may be granted to your average Joe who has no real need for a larger seat other than the fact he wants one. It doesn't have to be complex.

Problems could also be avoided by simply having a box to tick when making bookings. "Does, or do you think, your waist measurement exceed XXXcm?" or "do you feel you may require a larger seat?" or something. If people tick yes, then care is made to avoid seating passengers beside these larger passengers if possible. It would definitely help on planes which are not full.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SassyMummy For This Useful Post:

GothChick  (25-04-2012),Guest654  (25-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by SpecialPatrolGroup View Post
    Should tall people have to pay for the extra leg room in the exit row?
    Well, that is already the rule that is currently in place isn't it. It was advertised when it was introduced about 10 years ago.

Thanks
    Reviews
    As an obese person I would have no problem paying for two seats or an upgrade if I needed it. However, having to sit in a special seat or note down my approximate waist size would be humiliating.

It really is not hard as an overweight person to guess as to whether you will overlap in a plane seat. If you 'hang out' on a cafe chair, or the older style movie theatre seats are tight then you are going to be tight in a plane seat.

I have flown a lot around the world and rarely have I been on a flight which could not block out a seat. It is as simple as either booking an extra seat/upgrade at the time you buy your ticket or ask for a seat to be blocked out when you check in at a counter.

btw when travelling alone I always check in at the counter to make sure that a seat is blocked out.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by tormy View Post
    I thought some airlines did charge for the exit row seats if u choose them? (can't remember if it's here or the states that charges extra)

I think there should b bigger seats available to those who need it. I've travelled with DS slot and would've loved a wider seat so when I was nursing him he wasn't kicking the person beside me. We're going on another flight soon and cos DS is still under 2 he has to sit on my lap. I've got no idea how I'm going to keep him still for 1 hr.

In regards to what that guy did on the flight I think it's disgusting, theres certainly other ways to handle the problem if ur really angry about it.
    Your DS does not have to sit on your lap if under two - you can choose to pay for a seat if you wanted to.