+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    The thing is, if it was possible to pay a bit extra for more room, everyone would do it, not just overweight people. Or would there be eligibility criteria? Premium economy has more room but to still heaps more than regular economy which makes it unaffordable for most people.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to kw123 For This Useful Post:

RainbowSky  (25-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GothChick View Post
    Ah the way I see it, if Im going to pay for economy seats, I'm going to have to put up with the possibility of all the above things, and also that there may be a rather overweight person in the seat next to me. People can disagree with me all they want, but in my personal opinion, if I want to travel in the upmost comfort, I will go business or first class, and if I can't afford to, well, i'm just going to have to put up with the possibility of being uncomfortable for my flight.

I feel so sorry for very overweight people when they get on planes, you just know they are scanning for their seat and praying they have enough room for the person next to them.

I do agree with the pp when she said about airlines having bigger seats in a certain section. I know I for one would be paying a little extra to have one if there was one available.
    I think you misunderstood my post, I was referring to the people taking on too much carry on luggage that should pay extra. I agree with everything you have said

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ah the way I see it, if Im going to pay for economy seats, I'm going to have to put up with the possibility of all the above things, and also that there may be a rather overweight person in the seat next to me. People can disagree with me all they want, but in my personal opinion, if I want to travel in the upmost comfort, I will go business or first class, and if I can't afford to, well, i'm just going to have to put up with the possibility of being uncomfortable for my flight.
    I've got no issue with there being an overweight person in the seat next to me. I do have an issue if there is someone (whatever weight they are) who is pressed up against me.

To me, paying for an economy seat should not mean that anything goes. You are still paying for a basic level of service, which includes having your own seat.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Guest654 For This Useful Post:

RainbowSky  (25-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Girl X View Post
    Agreed, but why can't that go both ways? I feel extremely uncomfortable with a stranger pressed up against me in my personal space. Having paid for my seat, then why should I have to share it with someone else?

IMO, a baby crying or someone using up all the locker space can be inconveniences, but not as personally confronting as having someone touching you all the time.
    I know what you're saying and I do agree that it's not nice to have your space invaded and it should go both ways. There is no easy solution to this particular issue I don't think.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to babyla For This Useful Post:

Guest654  (25-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    The other passenger should have quietly taken it up with a flight attendant to see if there was a spare seat. How humiliating for the overweight person, who would already feel a sense of shame about spilling over the seat.

I think the airlines just need to accommodate with a couple of extra seats. A lot of people of overweight and obese, but can fit in plane seats. For example, I have been a size 18 or 20 and obese BMI and I fit in the seat with no issue, even on budget airlines.

I imagine some obese people would book two seats anyway to avoid embarrassment and make the flight more comfortable.

I think it's an issue where some common sense and compassion needs to be applied.

Opinionated is offline Winner 2009 - Best Avatar
    You know you love me.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    So Gothchick, what about women from certain cultural groups who would feel violated by being touched by a man that is not their husband? Should they just suck it up and feel compassion for the fat man violating their cultural sensitivities?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Opinionated View Post
    So Gothchick, what about women from certain cultural groups who would feel violated by being touched by a man that is not their husband? Should they just suck it up and feel compassion for the fat man violating their cultural sensitivities?
    Absolutely not. That is why I think it's a great idea to have a certain number of larger seats on planes so that people who need larger seats can use them, and people who don't need larger seats won't have to feel uncomfortable squished in around them.It is unfortunate for her that she might have to be put in that situation at the moment, but there is always the option of moving seats or buying business class tickets if they can afford it....just like an overweight person has those options. If neither decide to use them, then until airlines start increasing the size of some seats, they are going to just have to put up with it sadly. There is no other option. They aren't going to start making overweight people pay for 2 seats anytime soon imo.
    Last edited by GothChick; 25-04-2012 at 15:23.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by babyla View Post
    I think you misunderstood my post, I was referring to the people taking on too much carry on luggage that should pay extra. I agree with everything you have said
    lol I was just quoting you because I couldn't be bothered writing out the list of things people might have to put up with in economy.
    I wasn't talking to you, just being lazy.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Opinionated View Post

most planes are seated three ?? is so swap with the husband.

ive only ever flown twice (well 4 there and back) once heavily pregnant, luckily we had a ow of three so i had the ability to have more room as our young son was in the middle, so i do feel for the bigger person, i was squished in the seat and i was a big pregnant lady,

yes there should be something done about the size of the seat but unless you are paying hundreds more its not going to happen which is sad, but there is no way a larger person should have to go out of their way to make sure others are seated comfortably next to them, they paid their ticket just like everyone else,

As for the man that chucked the hissy fit, i think he should have been the one to move.. just plain rude.

Thanks
    Reviews
    lol I was just quoting you because I couldn't be bothered writing out the list of things people might have to put up with in economy.
    I wasn't talking to you, just being lazy.
    Haha it appears I've misunderstood
    your post then!